PDA

View Full Version : Still doing blowouts Jan 6

Mdirrigation
01-06-2012, 08:20 PM
One of the advantages of owning your own compressor , I did 3 blow outs today ,new customers . It was 60 degrees and sunny . Have an install to do next week . We generally hibernate this time of year , but the work is still rolling in .

Wet_Boots
01-06-2012, 08:28 PM
I would have been done, but the 'final' blowout had a split in the mainline, too much for a truckmount to overcome.

DanaMac
01-06-2012, 08:56 PM
I'm not pulling any compressors out for blowouts this late in the season. Sure we've had 60+ degrees this week, but we've had below zero temps already as well. If the system is finally getting blown out on Jan 6th, it can probably get through the entire winter. At least for my area, but the coastal regions may be different. I can't see blowing it out for only 6-8 weeks. We start turning back on mid March.

Wet_Boots
01-06-2012, 09:03 PM
Yeah, out here, the ground is very not frozen, so the underground plumbing and heads are still damage-free for now. I'll wait until next week to finish up.

Mdirrigation
01-06-2012, 09:10 PM
Ground hasnt even tried to freeze in md yet , not even close . I leave a compressor in my driveway for the late callers . Keep the customers happy .

DanaMac
01-06-2012, 09:10 PM
I did get a work order today from a landscape company, for an RP that was dumping. I'm sure it either had ice in a CV, or a CV was broken. I haven't called or taken care of it yet. Snow tomorrow :dizzy:

DanaMac
01-06-2012, 09:13 PM
Ground hasnt even tried to freeze in md yet , not even close . I leave a compressor in my driveway for the late callers . Keep the customers happy .

Do you charge a premium at this time of year?
Heck, my office voice mail says we are closed, and that we only check messages every 3-4 days. I checked caller ID today, and the only numbers that came up in the last week were my insurance company, multiple 800 numbers, GoDaddy, and one out of state number.

Wet_Boots
01-06-2012, 09:21 PM
I should charge a hefty premium, since I'm out in the boonies doing a house rehab, but I try to keep a small group of all-below-grade-plumbing installs in reserve, to fill the final day of winterizing, and make the travel worth it.

Mdirrigation
01-06-2012, 09:22 PM
No I dont charge a premium , I gain new customers this way , most guys around here dont own their machines and want a hell of a premium to rent the machine and do 1 or 2 .For me its no big deal I have done 12 since xmas , most had popped backflows , so I am setting up spring work already . Money is money . I am driving a heating oil truck twice a week , and running some service calls for an oil company .

Wet_Boots
01-06-2012, 09:26 PM
.............I gain new customers this way ..................bingo! payup

mitchgo
01-06-2012, 10:33 PM
I know it's crazy... Even with the late fee we've done over 15 blow outs this week.
I had to charge a system today so that we'll need to be blown out

greenmonster304
01-06-2012, 11:47 PM
I installed a system last week and blew it out along with another.
Posted via Mobile Device

1idejim
01-07-2012, 05:16 PM
California is drought'n and i drove by some fields that were being irrigated today. cows are being moved constantly from watering hole to watering hole. the price has been down and many owners hung onto cattle they would have normally sold. when they are forced to sell due to lack of grazing land the price will drop even further. vicious circle

Wet_Boots
01-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Some stores here are already selling Australian beef, at a slightly lower price than the American stuff.

greenworldh20
01-11-2012, 09:49 PM
We charge a premium to come out. Tech is going out for only 1-3 calls per day...have to pay him a minimum to come in and work...and yes, we own 5 compressors so there is never a delay to close! ;)