PDA

View Full Version : Pond pipe reroute

Sprinkus
01-07-2012, 12:06 AM
A nice Koi pond piping reroute that I got to do by myself, since my helper was too sick/drunk to show up.
Buncha double 45's on this one.
The most annoying part was the painter who was on the phone constantly. I'd hate to be the customer having to pay for the one handed painter. :hammerhead:

FIMCO-MEISTER
01-07-2012, 12:53 PM
Hope you left the coverup for your helper. seems like a lot of pipes for a koi pond but I know nothing about koi ponds except storks will fly in and eat them.
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
01-07-2012, 01:32 PM
Love your 45's on the turns; lot of pipe ganged together in one trench, hope nothing breaks down the road.

How big is that pond? Does it use a diatomaceous earth filter or carbon & fiber? I've been thinking about one for my house, my wifes cat loves fresh fish.

DanaMac
01-07-2012, 01:37 PM
Do they make PVC 45 degree street ells? Would have cut down on the short pieces to glue between ell fittings.

1idejim
01-07-2012, 05:52 PM
Do they make PVC 45 degree street ells? Would have cut down on the short pieces to glue between ell fittings.

yes they do Dana, 4 times the price of a standard 45. the double 45 is three times as much as a 90 but well worth the price.

the runs are similar to swimming pool plumbing runs, stacking is a necessary evil as there is usually limited room. sprinkus does some nice work :)

Mike Leary
01-07-2012, 09:18 PM
sprinkus does some nice work :)

Agreed; he must be better than me, as I don't see any felt marker lines on the 45s to finally seat the fittings. :clapping: Hate to have to do any repairs in there, as it's always the pipe that's hardest to get to that blows. :dizzy:

Felco #2
01-08-2012, 10:11 AM
4 times the price of a standard 45. the double 45 is three times as much as a 90 but well worth the price.

You bring up an interesting point. Never could understand why pvc 45's cost so much more than the 90's. Bugs the crap out of me every time I have to buy them.

Kiril
01-08-2012, 04:30 PM
I'm trying to understand the need for two 45's here .... trench not angled correctly?

Sprinkus
01-08-2012, 04:47 PM
There is an intake at the bottom, a skimmer intake, an output at the bottom, an output for the waterfall, one pipe is a spare, the two 1" pipes are for aeration.

The pond isn't all that big. The water is run through a sand filter and also uses a UV unit.

No marker needed on the double 45 the way I assembled them. I need to do a video or take pictures of the technique one of these days.

Trench could not be angled correctly due to proximity to the stand of Oak trees, the building, the main electrical trench, and the position of the pump pad.

And yes, I'd hate to have to do a repair on any of the inner pipes. :dizzy:

mitchgo
01-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Looks like a lot of work by yourself! Fun little project

I don't particularly like 45's and try not to use them as much as I can.

From a repair aspect 2 45's off angled like that is a future repair's nightmare.

I don't really like fittings butt up like that either. If I was in that situation I think I would have dug down a little bit more and then used 2 90's with like 6" of spacing between the 90's. That way a future repair could be done rather easily with say 2 couplers and 1 90.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
01-08-2012, 06:58 PM
It's more expensive but why not flex pvc? The labor and repair saving would be enough in itself.

1idejim
01-08-2012, 07:02 PM
Looks like a lot of work by yourself! Fun little project

I don't particularly like 45's and try not to use them as much as I can.

From a repair aspect 2 45's off angled like that is a future repair's nightmare.

I don't really like fittings butt up like that either. If I was in that situation I think I would have dug down a little bit more and then used 2 90's with like 6" of spacing between the 90's. That way a future repair could be done rather easily with say 2 couplers and 1 90.

you have to think differently here mitch, double 45's give you more options and less friction in the system situation. i have done many jobs where there were 6 or 7 boxes of 45 and only a handful of 90's used.

i used to finished 3 pools a week by myself. dig my ditches, rough plumb and electrical.

1idejim
01-08-2012, 07:03 PM
It's more expensive but why not flex pvc? The labor and repair saving would be enough in itself.

termites to start with, for some reason they love flex.

Mike Leary
01-08-2012, 09:07 PM

If it's low pressure, I agree.

Wet_Boots
01-08-2012, 09:24 PM
termites to start with, for some reason they love flex.try not to install the Cool Ranch Jalapeno variety of flex PVC

jvanvliet
01-09-2012, 09:54 AM
If it's low pressure, I agree.

Can't imagine a high presure circulation and filtration system for a coy pond.

Sprinkus
01-09-2012, 10:12 AM
I've seen double 90's and flex damaged by the landscaper's Bobcats and backhoes. There will definitely be a large Bobcat, it's already onsite, driven over this piping.

tadpole
01-09-2012, 11:48 AM
termites to start with, for some reason they love flex.

Must be a West Coast variety. Have used Flex PVC on pond installs for over 10 years and have never had a problem, especially from termites. (Do have a specie of ant that loves to chew holes in 45 mil EPDM, though). And, here in the South, we have some of the most voracious kind of termite there is. I will not use anything else but Flex.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
01-09-2012, 01:22 PM
I've seen double 90's and flex damaged by the landscaper's Bobcats and backhoes. There will definitely be a large Bobcat, it's already onsite, driven over this piping.

I could only see this being a problem where the pipe and fittings connect. I have played with flex trying to damage it and it is some tough chit! Than again some kids can F'up a steel ball in a sandbox.:)

Mike Leary
01-09-2012, 01:30 PM
a coy pond.

Is that a place where you take your girlfriend? :rolleyes:

tadpole
01-09-2012, 03:24 PM

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

1idejim
01-09-2012, 03:46 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

for first dates i ask a gal if she would like to go somewhere to see strange and exotic birds and animals, if they say yes, then landfill it is. used to be able to take a 12 pack and make a day of it. :)

tadpole
01-09-2012, 06:13 PM
for first dates i ask a gal if she would like to go somewhere to see strange and exotic birds and animals, if they say yes, then landfill it is. used to be able to take a 12 pack and make a day of it. :)

We must have come out of the same mold.:D

irritation
01-09-2012, 06:18 PM
I used to be able to take a 12 pack and a 12ga. and make a day of it. Never thought of taking women too.:)

jvanvliet
01-10-2012, 09:23 AM

Dang spell check: :o

jvanvliet
01-10-2012, 09:30 AM

Do those girls still have teeth, and do they call their uncle daddy?

Here you'd better take a 12 gauge and a 12 pack to the landfill; you'll need the shotgun to keep from being eaten by the turkey vultures, or the dates that'll spend a day with you out there. :gunsfirin