PDA

View Full Version : Large American Boxwoods

Ssouth
11-22-2002, 07:20 PM
We have a job were the clients would like to bring in several (10-15) large American Boxwoods. By large I mean 4' to 5' tall. This is an existing maintenance client who is moving to a new home. We will be doing a total landscape renovation. Now to the pointl. We have found leads on a couple of sources to get the boxwoods. I have several questions. Do any of you have experience dealing with these? Is there anything special we need to know about planting these? i.e. proper soil conditions, pH, fertilizer We will guaranty these plants so we would like for everthing to be perfect in the installation. Our estimated cost for each planted boxwood is between $800 - $1000. If you need more info just let me know.

Thank you in advance.

Ssouth

greenman
11-22-2002, 11:04 PM
Boxwoods are low maintenance plants, which works well for most. They need very good soil drainage or they will die from root rot. As long as they have good drainage and are irrigated they will do very well.

AGLA
11-23-2002, 09:12 AM
I have not heard of American Boxwood. I am interested in finding out what it is. I don't know if we call it something else up here. Would you have the Latin on that?

Ssouth
11-23-2002, 10:13 AM
American Boxwood or Buxus sempervins.

Around here they are normally found on the older homes or old plantations. I have several customers who have them that are close to if not more than 100yrs old. I'll get some pics when out there next week.

AGLA
11-24-2002, 08:51 AM
I know Buxus sempervirens, but the common name of American Boxwood is a new one to me. It is probably a regional thing.

Thanks

fshrdan
11-27-2002, 12:25 AM
Ssouth, I'd be interested in knowing your source for large specimens. Occasionally, I get the odd customer asking for boxwoods.

As far as maintenance, I'm no expert, but personally I never use shears. Boxwoods have such potential for insect and disease problems, and creating an overly dense shrub seems to guarantee problems down the road. Granted, if you're doing topiary everything I said is out the window. But normally I'll thin boxwoods from the inside in February around the same time as pruning crapes. And as greenman said, ammend soil thoroughly to correct clayey soils... good drainage is a must.

Maybe you can get some better info from the American Boxwood Society. Good luck with your install.

devildog
12-01-2002, 11:42 AM
adequate drainage; through structural pruning during off-season, well muched and good irrigation coverge during dry periods. Fert every 60 days or so and go light with the "P" with regards... devildog