PDA

View Full Version : Association memberships?

Bunton Guy
01-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Is it worth it to try and netword through various associations that our industry deal with?

Im not a people person and I keep telling myself that one day I will pop out of my turtle shell & become a people person. Im not holding my breath but I would like to at least make a attempt.:dizzy:

I've got many to choose from and possible some that I don't even know about.

CAI community association institute
BOMA building owner & manager association
Turfgrass council of NC
PLANET professional landcare network
NC nursery & Landscape association
Carolina green industry network

Membership to all of these would be a little over $1,000 per year. Do any of you every pick any work from going to these meetings?

fl-landscapes
01-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Dealing with people may be the most important part of owning a business. Whether it's customers, employees, vendors, etc. Come out of your shell, join some organizations and start mingling.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bunton Guy
01-08-2012, 06:38 PM
That's what im after. I've been in business for 10 years and nearly the same size for all 10 years. Flyers & word of mouth will only get you so far

I need to take it to the next level. I even thought of spending the coin on one of Marty Grunders grow events. Maybe his motivation will spark something in me lol.

Dr.NewEarth
01-08-2012, 07:31 PM
My associations Keep me informed through their publications, weekly e-mail updates, continuing education, seminars, pests and diseases and a whole lot of other stuff.

We get a deal on alot of things like liability insurance, parts, equipment, supplies,
banking services, a discount on gas purchases, vehicle leasing. all of my trees, shrubs, soils, retaining walls etc...and then again, a whole lot of other stuff.

I'm active with the BCLNA, but I don't go to many meetings. You won't find alot of work by mingling at a bbq with a bunch of your peers, who probably are also competitors.

There are on-line referal service and publications that go out to the public and business communities that we are listed in.

I'm not a member to find new clients. I like the deals that are offered and the up to date industry information.