PDA

View Full Version : Snow mold/Powdery mildew?

Northwest
11-23-2002, 12:33 AM
On a few of my lawns I have seen a white mold. It seems more hairy than powdery mildew could it be gray snow mold?

A month ago we had record lows for here (Washington State) 18-20 degrees at night and then 50's in the day time. Now we have been having upper 40's at night and upper 50's to low 60's in the day. My guess from pictures is snow mold but can this be, I thought that mostly came after snow has been on the lawn for a length of time and melted. Could a week of tempertures in the teens a night cause this?

KLR
11-23-2002, 04:09 PM
hmmm, maybe??

there are 2 types of snow mold, grey and pink. one requires snow other does not.

guess i should have looked this one up before posting, because i can't remember which is related to snow cover!

no help i guess, sorry

Fvstringpicker
11-23-2002, 08:00 PM
Pink snow mold doesn't require snow and is called fusarium patch when not associated with snow. High rate of nitrogen late in the season increase the likelihood of the disease.

Northwest
11-26-2002, 04:22 AM
I have been heavy with the N this fall like the recent studies have shown. Maybe this and the strange weather (severe cold) and then usual weather (mild and wet) brought this on.

This late is there anything I should do or will it die out with the freezing weather coming up?

Fvstringpicker
11-26-2002, 10:31 AM
Keep mowing and long as possible and clear off leaves to decrease moisture. Avoid using lime or alkaline tending fertilizers and go light on the N. If the problem presist, you may need a chemical control such as Azoxystrobin of Propiconazole (better check the spelling on these). What grass is in these lawns?

Northwest
11-26-2002, 01:24 PM
Perennial Rye

Fvstringpicker
11-26-2002, 04:05 PM
Ryegrasses are very susceptible. You may want to check the following website.

http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/turf

Northwest
11-27-2002, 02:06 PM
Thanks, nice link and pictures.

I am going to have to look at the affected lawns again because I do not remember any circular pattern to the mold and snow/pink have circular patterns. Maybe the disease was not far enough along or it is something else.