PDA

View Full Version : Should I get into overseeding/fertilization/aeration?

smallstripesnc
01-08-2012, 08:22 PM
I have been considering getting into over seeding/fertilization and aeration but haven't really found a way to make it profitable or maybe I have but haven't found the right clients.

I do not have an aerator currently (except a tiny 20" spike aerator you push on a broom stick). The turf needs to be really wet for it to work. But plan on purchasing one this spring/summer (aeration begins in fall around here).

Say I have a 10,000 Sq ft property. Seed is $60 a bag for 10,000 Sq feet, fertilizer is $50 for 15,000 Sq feet.

So for seed and fertilizer it would be $110 plus my labor.

What would you normally charge for labor?

So I say I want $40 for labor so $150 total. Is that too much? I've been told it is.

Right now I only do basic lawn maintenance (mowing, edging, line trimming, blowing clippings), and leaf removal. Would it be worth it to offer seeding, fertilization, and aeration?

cpllawncare
01-08-2012, 08:55 PM
Actually it's not enough, where is your markup on material. Your labor rate isn't high enough either.

smallstripesnc
01-08-2012, 09:09 PM
So I could actually still get business if I charge more?
Posted via Mobile Device

RigglePLC
01-08-2012, 09:53 PM
You should charge enough to pay off the aeration machine in 2 years--3 at most. Plus a substantial charge for each hour of aeration for maintenance and repairs. Plus if you are professional you should get $60 per hour labor. $75 if its skilled or dangerous work or if you have to work up a sweat.

Shop around for fertilizer--you can do better. Barry can help you. Screamin Green would work nicely.

smallstripesnc
01-08-2012, 09:59 PM
Around charlotte a lot of people charge $50 to aerate 1/2 acre or less and I always see specials companys run for seed/fertilizer for $150

I mean spreading seed and fertilizer isnt hard in my opinion. Whats a decent rate to charge for labor?

Keep in mind $110 for seed/fertilizer foor 10000 sq ft how much would be reasonable to spread it?
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
01-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Around charlotte a lot of people charge $50 to aerate 1/2 acre or less and I always see specials companys run for seed/fertilizer for $150

I mean spreading seed and fertilizer isnt hard in my opinion. Whats a decent rate to charge for labor?

Keep in mind $110 for seed/fertilizer foor 10000 sq ft how much would be reasonable to spread it?
Posted via Mobile Device

You are starting to sound like this is your scheduled maintenance program... You are going to put on that much seed every Fall? Just how lousy is that lawn?

Dr.NewEarth
01-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Diversify your talents and business. You may not use them every-day, but they'll be in your bag of tricks.

A broadcast spreader is cheap and you can line up aerations, rent a machine and do them all at once.