PDA

View Full Version : Head Room in Enclosed Trailers

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-09-2012, 12:30 PM
Am getting estimates on a new 7x14 enclosed trailer for the upcoming season.
My storage for this trailer is restricted to an 8' garage door. So this pretty much holds me to 6' interior height. I do have one brand (Diamond Cargo) that can give me 6' 3" interior yet keep below the 8' exterior. I am 6' 2" tall.

To you guys that have enclosed's, how important is it that you have an interior height you don't have to duck down in? If it is truly annoying and you are ramming your head, then maybe I only want to consider the 6'3" brand??

KrayzKajun
01-09-2012, 12:36 PM
I'm lucky! I'm only 5'8" so no ducking for me. I must say though my 8x18' enclosed is about 6-8" taller than my 6.5x14 was.
Posted via Mobile Device

AsharperImage
01-09-2012, 06:22 PM
I ordered a 7 by 16 enclosed with an additional 6 inches on th ceiling and door that brings the door height to six foot and interior to 6 and a half, when it gets in I'll measure total height, it's a car mate,
Posted via Mobile Device

Kelly's Landscaping
01-09-2012, 07:27 PM
You might be able to lower the overall height with 4 inch drop axles. Since your having it built for you you will have a say in its options. I have an open trailer with them which I am quite fond of and if they work on that there is no reason they can't work on a smaller trailer like you describe.

djagusch
01-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Do you need the trailer in the garage? I guess I don't see the need unless some rules in your development. Other ways to make sure the trailer doesn't leave if your gone for awhile.

orangemower
01-09-2012, 08:53 PM
I'm just over 6' tall so I'd want the taller trailer. I'd raise the garage door a extra foot. LOL

unkownfl
01-10-2012, 12:41 AM
I'd get the tallest trailer without having to go to drop axles. I've bent so many of those drop axles.

DuallyVette
01-10-2012, 12:58 AM
All my trailers have drop axles. I haven't had any trouble with them. Some enclosed trailers have torsion axles. They seem to get knocked out of alignment more easily.

I wouldn't want a trailer that I couldn't stand up in. I use Standup mowers and I'm 6 foot tall.

PLS-Tx
01-10-2012, 01:31 AM
I would not want an enclosed trailer that I could not stand up in.

I'm just under 6' and I have no problems standing and walking around in mine.

yardguy28
01-10-2012, 09:45 AM
get one you can stand up in.

i'm 6' 2" and i had to duck a bit on my 6' x 12' and i didn't like it.

now that i have 7' x 14' and can stand up it so much better.

rollman
01-10-2012, 07:35 PM
I agree with everyone , get something you can stand up in , it's hard on the back to be bent over .

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-11-2012, 11:14 PM
Well I went to a dealer today, to get some pricing on a 7x14 but more to walk around in a std 6' interior height trailer. What I found was it wasn't too bad.....I could stand straight up with my head touching the top paneling, and only had to duck slightly for the crossmembers. So to be clear, it is 6' to the bottom of the crossmembers.

I think I could tolerate 6' interior but of course 3"-6" more would be ideal.

yardguy28
01-12-2012, 09:47 AM
Well I went to a dealer today, to get some pricing on a 7x14 but more to walk around in a std 6' interior height trailer. What I found was it wasn't too bad.....I could stand straight up with my head touching the top paneling, and only had to duck slightly for the crossmembers. So to be clear, it is 6' to the bottom of the crossmembers.

I think I could tolerate 6' interior but of course 3"-6" more would be ideal.

yeah thats the way my 6' x 12' footer was. i could tolerate it and there's nothing wrong with going that route.

but it sure is nice to have that extra room.

stickleylawncare
01-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Im 6'5 so I had them build the inside to 7 feet on the new 7x14. Well worth it, though it does not fit in the garage, so we've moved to a public storage with outdoor RV/Boat parking lots. Having a new garage and pad build soon so we can bring it back home and save some money on rent. Our old neighborhood had restrictions on boats, trailers, business trucks etc. Real PITA.