PDA

View Full Version : temp agencies, winter layoff question

mattfromNY
01-09-2012, 07:31 PM
I posted this question in one other forum, but I was hijacking a thread, so to be fair to the poster in that thread, I am bringing the question up here, to see if I can get some feedback.

Has anyone from the northern states used a temp agency to hire employees, and had good results? My problem, currently, I have 2 great employees that started working with me as young men with no family, very few obligations and a hell of a work ethic. Fast forward 5 years...now they both have girlfriends, truck payments, looking to get married, kids, need insurance, want vacation days, thinking about retirement.... I am looking into the health insurance, and retirement plans, I can afford to pay a few vacation, sick and personal days....
BUT, recently I was approached by one of my customers, who runs a temporary employment agency. She can put my guys on her books for the same hourly wage as I pay (will cost me about 17 cents more per hour. This includes her fees. She pays much less for workers comp, UE, and other taxes, due to her employing hundreds of employees, vs me employing 2 full time) AND she pays sick days, vacation pay, holiday pay (If they work, plow snow, etc on holidays, 2 checks that day-1 from her, 1 from me), matching 401K, and employees can buy into medical, dental and vision insurance.
THE ONLY resistance I have come up against- She does not put employees on unemployment, therefore, in the winter, unless I have work for my guys, they would have to go to work for someone else that she lines up for them. Both of my guys are very against this. I feel, as a boss, I have to do what is right for the BUSINESS. Though I care alot for my guys and worry that they may quit, and I'll be in a bigger mess than I am in now.
Anyone tried this with their employees? What results?
Thanks in advance :waving:,
Matt.

Jimslawncareservice
01-10-2012, 10:03 AM
why would they quit if they are getting the same money, plus benifits? if you cant handle all that extra crap why not? you could always talk to your guys.

agrostis
01-10-2012, 04:30 PM
I have to side with you and your business. It's not your responsibility to assure that employee's can collect unemployment in the winter. Or is it ?
Around here, winter unemployment just doesn't happen. You can find something to do. This is landscaping, i would think that benefits would be more important than unemployment. If these guy's don't like that arrangement then i'll bet you can some who will. Good luck on what will be a difficult decision.

mattfromNY
01-14-2012, 08:25 PM
Hey, thanks for the replies, guys! I started this thread, but havent been getting notifications that you guys replied, so I hadnt checked in.
I agree 100%. Just a quick update: I had a second meeting with the temp. agency manager (she is also a very good customer of mine for 5 years), and found that if my guys just absolutely cannot work somewhere else when I dont have work, she WILL put them on unemployment. She does all she can to help them find a job comparable in pay and hours to what I provide. (In fact, if they were working for her Friday, they would have been put to a $14.00/ hr job, 6 hrs per day for the next 4 weeks, assembling parts. Sounds pretty good to me). Also, if I have work for them (snowplowing, servicing equip, etc), they come back to work for me first.
I am tentatively signed up to put them on her books March 15th. I will try to make a point and update this thread as things progress.

P.Services
01-14-2012, 09:23 PM
yes please keep us updated.

Kelly's Landscaping
01-15-2012, 12:14 AM
Her rates sound off the one time we looking into a temp agency they wanted 50% above what we paid the employee. So if it was 14 and hour they are now 21 an hour and they we pushing for much higher wages then that. 17 cents and hour why would any agency work for that its not even 8 dollars a week per employee.

P.Services
01-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Her rates sound off the one time we looking into a temp agency they wanted 50% above what we paid the employee. So if it was 14 and hour they are now 21 an hour and they we pushing for much higher wages then that. 17 cents and hour why would any agency work for that its not even 8 dollars a week per employee.

thats what i was thinking

petscanning
01-24-2012, 07:05 AM
to good to be true. I have dealt with temps (medical field) as well and it always costs you a lot more than standard wage. Something is missing I think. This isn't always the case but a lot of are temps for 2 reasons one the are you live in has a serious down economy and people are taking anything they can get or they float from job to job and do half ass work, talk on the phone to much and call in when ever they get a touch of diarrhea (really its sunny and they want to go fishing). Generally temps in this field will get min wage with possible benefits