PDA

View Full Version : 2000 F-250 vs 2003 Silverado 2500

VAMower
01-09-2012, 11:07 PM
I'm buying a new truck and would like to hear your input on these two vehicles. Both have the same amount of miles, both 2wd and are the same price. The Ford has a 5.4 V8 and the Chevy has a 6.0 V8. Both have automatic transmissions.

The Chevy is from the South and the Ford is from up North and I am sort of worried about the rust on the Ford.

Thanks in advance for your input.

32vld
01-09-2012, 11:45 PM
Less salt
newer
same price

Chevy

But you left out bed size and cab type. And does either one have limited slip rear?

VAMower
01-09-2012, 11:52 PM
both are reg cab 8 ft bed's. Although the F-250's bed is in much better shape. The chevy was a fed gov vehicle according to the dealer.

unkownfl
01-10-2012, 12:35 AM
Why only these two? I personally like Fords but that year 5.4 isn't so hot. I'd go with the Chevrolet because of the better engine and you said it's probably better structurally.

KS_Grasscutter
01-10-2012, 12:41 AM
6.0 is a MUCH better engine. Won't get as good of fuel economy but will pull much better and last a lot longer.
Posted via Mobile Device

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger
01-12-2012, 09:17 AM
I am a Ford guy, I love them and have had a f2250 and f350 with 5.4 and a v10, both great engines.......but i have also had one from michigan i bought low miles heck of a deal but rust was starting to come through on the doors so i sold it ASAP.........I hate rust so i would recommedn the chevy against my better judgement if you are only interested in these two vechilcles.

Darryl G
01-12-2012, 09:30 AM
I have a 2003 Silverado 2500HD and it's been a great truck. The 6.0 is smooth and powerfull, but yeah the mileage sucks with the 4:10 rear. The only problems so far have been the intermediate steering column wear problem and I had to replace the brake lines...but I am up north in the road salt zone. Otherwise it's been nothing but routine maintenance...granted I only have 48K miles on it but those are lawn route/landscaping miles....my average speed based on the hour meter & mileage is around 15mph.

VAMower
01-12-2012, 10:47 AM
Well, I decided to have both of them inspected prior to making a decision. Good thing I did. As it turns out it looks like the Ford F-250 has flood damage. The inspector found mold underneath the flooring, rust behind the dash board and a grinding noise was coming from the bearings (apparently water got in there). I will update you with the results of the inspection from the Chevy, I should have it later this evening. I will also try to post some pics.

BTW, I used lemonsquad.com, they were awesome to work with. The owner, Andy, personally called me to discuss the potential flood issues. Each inspection was $150 which includes hooking up an OBDII scanner to the vehicle to monitor the eng and trans performance. I couldn't find any other national inspection company that did this. I would highly recommend them if you are considering buying a used vehicle.

VAMower
01-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Oh yeah, there was also a lot of mud under the floor, behind the pedals and on top of the engine.

hosejockey2002
01-12-2012, 11:08 PM
Another thing to consider is that the Chevy will have a considerably higher payload. It will weigh about 400 pounds less and have a 400 pound higher GVWR. That is one factor that swayed me to the Chevy when I bought new in 2005, even though I'm really a Ford guy.

VAMower
01-17-2012, 11:37 PM
I just drove the Chevy home tonight. Its a stake body, I will try to post some pics tomorrow. Now I'm going to take it to a harsh hoist dealer and have him install a 3,000 lb hoist under the stake body so I can use it as a dump for mulch and leaves.