PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in A Dump TRailer???

cuttin-to-the-Max
01-09-2012, 11:58 PM
Ok well im asking for help from everyone who has or has had a dump trailer.
Im currently in the market for one with all these sales popping up. What should i look for. i think a 14 footer will be good. We plan to build sides and haul mulch, debris and In the fall build a box on it.. Is there anything i should make sure mine has?

Anyone have a preference of a single scissor lift vs. the dual cylinders???
Any good brand?? i heard PJ is good.

thanks!

greenerman
01-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Make sure that it raises to almost 90 degrees so all your debris will slide out. There are some out there that do not raise very high, you will be stuck pulling the crap out with a fork.

KrayzKajun
01-10-2012, 01:07 PM
What are you going to use to pull the trailer? Do you want a gooseneck or bumper-pull?
Posted via Mobile Device

metro36
01-10-2012, 06:58 PM
First I would get a scissor hoist that has a the steepest dump angle you can get. My 10k brimar has a 4" cylinder and it struggles with heavy loads like topsoil. It also doesn't have quite a steep enough dump angle. I think it is like 45-50 degrees so you would want more than that.

Second even if you dont intend to use it to haul equipment, make sure you get built in ramps. I didnt think I would haul with it but now I wish mine had ramps. I have other ramps that I use but it would be nice to have them built in under the deck.

Third make sure you get a barn door gate. I bought a regular drop gate and within a month the thing was bent because it digs into the ground when dumping. Plus I have to put the trailer down to back up. This winter I will be converting mine to barn doors.

What are you going to use to pull it? If you are looking for a trailer with over a 10k gvw, I wouldn't recommend brimar. Mine is alright but it could be made heavier. If I was going to buy another one I would look at a 7x14 12 or 14k PJ or Suretrac. I would also get a gooseneck. Anything over 12K is too big for bumper pull in my book.

cuttin-to-the-Max
01-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Thanks everyone keep the Advice coming i really appreciate it!

Secondly i would like to pull this trailer with one of our 2011 2500's But push come to shove we COULD use the Kodaik (GMC 4500 pickup) but if we dont have to that would be nice!

metro36
01-10-2012, 10:41 PM
Is the truck a diesel? If so a 7x14 14k gooseneck would make a nice trailer.

I forgot to mention that PJ trailers look to be a good trailer. I talked to a guy that has a 7x16 16K bumper pull PJ dump. He seemed to like it. Pulls it with a F550 diesel dump. He uses it to haul a big skid steer and haul materials around his nursery. Its a super heavy duty trailer.

CJC3
01-12-2012, 02:32 PM
I have a Cam Superline that I use to haul just about everything. I had 4.5 tons of stone and dumped no problem. Single cylinder, barn doors, 2' additional sides with a tarp system(4'total), bigger leaf box for the fall with a tongue mounted giant vac.

stockie
01-12-2012, 08:27 PM
I got a 6x10 Cam in the spring and love it. Had some heavy loads and dumped it no prob. The angle hasnt been a problem yet either. I pull it with a Ram 1500. Pulls fine, but probably coulnt go any bigger. The thing to remember is it doesnt matter so much about the towing capacity, as it does the tongue weight. Dodge says I can pull 10k. If I put 10k on the trailer, my front tires would be off the ground.

The ramps are a MUST. I never planned on heavy equipment, and I use them alot. Wheelbarrows, mower here and there, Its alot easier to get them, and not use them, then it is to not have then and try to figure out how to get something up in the trailer. A Tie Down rail was an option too. Almost didnt do it, but glad i did. With CAM, it cost me $25 for (4) D Rings installed inside on the floor. Not only could I not buy them for that, it would take forever to drill the floor, so that was a great deal. Hold some mulch or dirt when you dump, but really not bad at all. Hope this helps

BufalinoLand
01-13-2012, 03:47 PM
i picked up a 14 footer last year, paid extra for heavier axles $8500.00 out the door

their isnt a better trailer out there, i have 3

http://www.moritzinternational.com/dump-trailers-dl-series.php

it is a little heavy, around 4300 lbs, sissor lift

i assure you, you would be wasting money and metal buying anthing else

BufalinoLand
01-13-2012, 03:55 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=344429

heres a picture of mine with high sides

GQLL
01-13-2012, 06:31 PM
Cuttin what happened to your dump trailer that you had hear http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=331589&page=5
i like my bri-mar it a 7x12 6k trailer

4 seasons lawn&land
01-13-2012, 07:07 PM
I have a pretty good dump trailer. I say buy a truck. The only time Id rather have a trailer is for installing plants and trees or separating materials in truck and trailer.

cuttin-to-the-Max
01-14-2012, 05:13 PM
What are you going to use to pull the trailer? Do you want a gooseneck or bumper-pull?
Posted via Mobile Device

GMC 2500, F350, Or GMC 4500
No 5th wheel hitches... COULD put one in the 4500's bed but we'll see.

Cuttin what happened to your dump trailer that you had hear http://www.lansite.com/showthread.php?t=331589&page=5
i like my bri-mar it a 7x12 6k trailer

We sold it to a Local for "the right price."
We figured it was starting to fall apart anyway. We bought it used from a Dumpster Co. We might get another! In addition to the Mini We're gonna get.

appalachianoutdoors
01-24-2012, 10:17 PM
I use a chevrolet 2500 6.0L, and just ordered a brig mar 7x12 10k bumper pull. Here are some things i wanted that brig mar offered:
powder coating
tie rail
D rings
Combo barn gates
pocket stakes
built in ramps
i choose a 7 ft to carry wider items if needed and more debris, milch, etc. I would rarely carry much equipment or stone of any weight. I did not get the HD option because of the pulling capacity of the truck is limited to 10k anyway, HD in a 12' started at 3500lbs and gvwr of 12k. Again i choose a 12k to help minimize overall weight and length and just overall lack of needing the extra 2 feet. In fairness, i did not look at any others trailers or what they offer because this was a specific trailer i had looked at for a while. Good luck with your decision. :usflag: