PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use GroundsKeeper program?

sweetland
01-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Hi everyone, I'm looking for a billing software but can't decide on what to use. A good friend of mine uses Groundskeeper Pro and he loves it but i want to make sure this is the best way to go before i actually spend the few hundred to get it. Unfortunately it doest work on Mac so i would have to use it on my back up PC.

My question are;

1. Does anyone use GroundsKeeper Pro? If so, how do you like it?
2. Does anyone have something that actually works on a Mac? There are a lot of threads suggesting programs but not much info on ones that actually get used.

Thanks for your help!

sweetland
01-10-2012, 04:05 PM
Including anyone who uses Quickbooks for Mac. Is it easy to use?

weeze
01-10-2012, 04:29 PM
i've never tried it. i just do things the old fashioned way i guess by writing them down in a notebook. it's simple and easy enough for me. :laugh:

sweetland
01-10-2012, 04:35 PM
yeah thats what I've been doing but I'm looking for an easier way

weeze
01-10-2012, 04:44 PM
there's alot of guys that use quicken or quickbooks on here. i dunno why they haven't responded. maybe they don't use a mac.

Fencek
01-10-2012, 05:10 PM
I used the Groundskeeper Lite program. Love it. It's a slim down version of the Pro. It's real easy to use and simple to keep up. Prints nice billing. Also great for taxing purposes.

ffemt1271
01-10-2012, 05:32 PM
I've used groundskeeper pro for nearly 10 years now. Absolutely love the program and it's very easy to use
Posted via Mobile Device

grassmaster06
01-10-2012, 09:51 PM
4 years for me and love it the only thing that sucks is folding and sealing all these invoices lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Jimslawncareservice
01-10-2012, 10:51 PM
I have it. I like it, but recently found a program that uses gps as well. It is developed by a lawn care owner. It will work great when spraying as it records your start and finish times with wind speed and temps. It runs off the web so you can use your touch phone with internet. If you have employees you can block certain info, and if you have someone who does your accounting , you can block your customer info. I have not done my trial yet. Was going to do it this week, but found a bunch of scrap iron work.
Posted via Mobile Device

sweetland
01-10-2012, 10:54 PM
I have it. I like it, but recently found a program that uses gps as well. It is developed by a lawn care owner. It will work great when spraying as it records your start and finish times with wind speed and temps. It runs off the web so you can use your touch phone with internet. If you have employees you can block certain info, and if you have someone who does your accounting , you can block your customer info. I have not done my trial yet. Was going to do it this week, but found a bunch of scrap iron work.
Posted via Mobile Device

you can do gps with the new update for groundskeeper.

does the program you were talking about work on a mac?

phillie
01-10-2012, 10:59 PM
I use groundskeeper, it's ok. I just finished year 2 of my business and am looking to upgrade to something better. It is nice at first but as you grow it starts to feel very simple and almost kid like. I didn't know there was an update fro groundskeeper pro though.

Jimslawncareservice
01-10-2012, 11:08 PM
I didn't know there was an update with gps either
Posted via Mobile Device

sweetland
01-10-2012, 11:23 PM
yeah i just went to their site today and it was totally different and there was a link saying update your software

phillie
01-10-2012, 11:29 PM
I just went to their site and didnt see anything about it. What website are you going to?

sweetland
01-10-2012, 11:41 PM
I just went to their site and didnt see anything about it. What website are you going to?

http://www.adkad.com/learn-more/learn-more-groundkeeper-pro-update.cfm

phillie
01-10-2012, 11:46 PM
I guess I am not seeing what you are seeing. I see the last update is 6.3.2 released in 09. I also don't see the gps part.

GreenGuysLC
01-11-2012, 12:41 AM
I just posted the same question. I have been looking this last week and have demo'd a few. I didnt like Jobber, I dont like the fees associated with a few others and from what I can see Pro will do what I want. I am thinking I am gonna go with it and see how it works out. I dont see how people use QB. It pains me to even try to set it up! Mush less get my jobs and payments tracking right.

sweetland
01-11-2012, 12:53 AM
I just posted the same question. I have been looking this last week and have demo'd a few. I didnt like Jobber, I dont like the fees associated with a few others and from what I can see Pro will do what I want. I am thinking I am gonna go with it and see how it works out. I dont see how people use QB. It pains me to even try to set it up! Mush less get my jobs and payments tracking right.

yeah i got confused just watching the demo. Im just upset that Groundskeeper won't work on a Mac

EquityGreen
01-11-2012, 01:15 AM
I've used groundskeeper in the l
Past. I was somewhat satisfied.
Posted via Mobile Device

oomph
01-11-2012, 01:22 AM
Groundskeeper looks like a decent product for what it is. However, it would be nice if they had an option to export customers or specific fields into a CSV file, which would be really useful for marketing purposes.

GreenGuysLC
01-11-2012, 01:28 AM
Just a question OOmph. ..can you not create a customer list in excel or somewhere else just for that purpose? Just curious. I have been using basic excel sheets that I set up to track my billing. it works but takes much longer than i can spend now days. I need some quicker entry methods.

GreenGuysLC
01-11-2012, 01:29 AM
And I am curious to Jims post .. what program are you running trial with?

BlazerRidge
01-11-2012, 01:32 AM
It looks like a good setup to me. I use an excel setup right now and its a complete pain in the butt

oomph
01-11-2012, 01:48 AM
I'm running the 6.3.2 trial version. Unless the paid version allows you to export customer lists to CSV or Excel, I don't see an option.

I suppose I could make a secondary list in excel, but that require double the data entry, and I'd have to manually sync the data. To me that's a waste of time and almost a deal breaker.

Someone please chime in if I'm missing the option.

seaway valley
01-11-2012, 01:53 AM
Hi I'm new to posting but have been a member for awhile. Just thought I would chime in and say I use gopher I purchased it about 2 years ago it was time consuming to set up but rather easy. It works for me and takes the pain out of billing each month I just record my work each day and can print invoices with one click at the end of the month. Not sure if it works with mac or not though.

seaway valley
01-11-2012, 01:55 AM
Hi I'm new to posting but have been a member for awhile. Just thought I would chime in and say I use gopher I purchased it about 2 years ago it was time consuming to set up but rather easy. It works for me and takes the pain out of billing each month I just record my work each day and can print invoices with one click at the end of the month. Not sure if it works with mac or not though.

"You Grow, We Mow"

oomph
01-11-2012, 02:07 AM
Groundskeeper is a good program, but I wish it had additional features.

Such as a client/server model with a web interface, that allowed you to access the system from the field via ipad or android.

Also a customer portal or something could be cool, so that you have a clear communication with your customer and interfaces billing for them.

The closest thing to it that I've seen is Lawnaid, but it does a poor job implementing billing and has paypal as the only option. Some customers just don't use paypal, nor do they have the patience or time to register and make a paypal account. Also, I wasn't very impressed with Lawnaids customer support. I've been using the trial this past week and emailed a few questions without much of a response.

They don't have a support number, where you can talk with someone or anything.

Lastly, I don't like the software as a service model. Perhaps that's the network engineer in me. I don't like relying on someone else to secure my data and my customers data. How do I know they won't sell it and market it? How can i be assured that they follow all the correct steps in securing their web servers?

Personally, I'd rather host a small client/server application on my fios connection. Interface with it remotely via SSL ( the same encryption one uses online for banking), and restrict further access to it via my firewall.

At least this way, I have more control over my data and the security of my customers data.

I know that not everyone thinks this way, nor is everyone technically capable of implementing it. However, it's easier than you think.

This company looks like they offer something like that:
http://www.goservicepro.com/index.htm

However, it's not specifically geared towards the lawn care industry.

Which doesn't mean it can't be used for that purpose. I'm going to check the price and features out. However, if there is one thing that I've learned about software is that if they don't show you the price on their website, it's usually expensive.

GreenGuysLC
01-11-2012, 03:27 AM
Ok.. I just gave Gopher a trial run and I must say It is a little bit better than the Groundskeeper pro and it is a little less in cost. It will take some figuring out but I am getting the hang of it and think this will be my purchase. It will auto bill for monthly customers or add service cost as preformed. I like the scheduling feature better and I like the customer list and how it shows the balances without any further clicking. However... GK Pro is simpler to post payments to. Hmm.. I may need to play with them both a little bit more..lol I think either one is gonna do what I want... and both will pro have some limitations . Gopher exports to QBooks.. may have to talk to the wife and see if that will help her ..lol

BLC & SNOW
01-11-2012, 11:02 AM
:waving:Ive been using Groundskeeper pro for 2 years now and I really like it. Just get all your pricing in when you enter the customer, and when you charge them all U do is click on the item your charging for. Its nice for taxes also, U can also make a route sheet to print for your guys. It works awesome for me and is easy to use. Also the last update was in 09.
:gmctruck:

ralph02813
01-11-2012, 12:28 PM
Hi everyone, I'm looking for a billing software but can't decide on what to use. A good friend of mine uses Groundskeeper Pro and he loves it but i want to make sure this is the best way to go before i actually spend the few hundred to get it. Unfortunately it doest work on Mac so i would have to use it on my back up PC.

My question are;

1. Does anyone use GroundsKeeper Pro? If so, how do you like it?
2. Does anyone have something that actually works on a Mac? There are a lot of threads suggesting programs but not much info on ones that actually get used.

Thanks for your help!

Take a look at quickbooks, you can run it on a mac a yearly subscription starts at $10/month. I have been using it for years - it will support your company no matter how big you get - if yoou do it bigger there is even a add on program that is specifically designed for our business.

Dotens
01-11-2012, 09:27 PM
Guys do yourself a favor and check out Service Auto Pilot. Ive been using them for 2 years now and I switched from grounds keeper pro. Its the best move I have ever made hands down. This is not just a billing software. Service auto pilot actually runs your business. Don't be afraid of the minimal cost. Once you implement it in your business it will make and save you money. Talk with Jonathan and see if its right for you. They even have a free version you can play with. Tell Jonathan Doten's recommended SAP. He may hook you up with some promos.

oomph
01-11-2012, 09:40 PM
Does it support accepting payments via Ipad/Iphone or Andriod?

phillie
01-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Does it support accepting payments via Ipad/Iphone or Andriod?

Thats a good question. I have been looking into Service Auto Pilot and think it looks awesome. People can log into your website and pay a bill, but I haven't seen anything for mobile payments.

Dotens
01-11-2012, 10:25 PM
Yes I believe you can log in with you mobile or ipad and take their cc info and process the payment. Then you could email them their paid invoice. I have not tried this yet as I have the client portal and just have them pay online. There are a ton of features! I'm still learning all of them and the best part is they update often with new features all for free!

Dotens
01-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Forgot to mention the big plus is that all of your data is backed up daily through them. It was a pain with groundskeeper and I was never good about making backups often. Lost my data with them more than once. Its so nice not to have to worry about that. I will also say that their customer support is off the charts.

Jimslawncareservice
01-11-2012, 11:04 PM
The program that i was talking about a few posts back your customers can go to a web page and view thier bill and pay by cc if they wish or mail a check for the total showing. I'll have to post a link for the program tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device

jbell36
01-14-2012, 06:19 PM
To the original poster, i wanted to make sure you knew what parallels is for mac? that will allow you to run the windows only program on a mac, only downside is you have to buy windows, which is an additional cost (obviously). parallels is better than boot camp because you can easily and quickly switch back and forth from the windows side to the mac side rather than shutting down and rebooting to one side or the other. I bought a mac last night and am planning on doing this.

with that being said, i use gopher and love the program...it's simple but it's the best program i have found that will schedule your customers and invoice them at the end of the month, which consists of clicking a button at the end of the month, then folding your invoices...lawnpro sucks and didn't really like groundskeeper...the only other option i would consider is quickbooks pro, then adding q express for scheduling...still though, gopher seems to make scheduling and invoicing very simple, very synchronized...you set up your daily schedule in advance...click on what day you want...print off your list of jobs..at the end of the day click "complete all jobs" or "select completed jobs" and it will automatically put this in the invoice for that customer...then at the end of the month simply click "generate invoices" and it will automatically make the invoices

the only other program i would consider as a step up (much more expensive than gopher and quickbooks) is Service Auto Pilot...definitely the sweetest program on the market but very expensive...you have to coniser everything it does for you tho...i need a program that can do payroll, scheduling, invoicing, receipt/document scanning and organizer, etc., as well as back everything up so i don't have to worry about losing all my data if the computer crashes

ralph02813
01-14-2012, 07:04 PM
To the original poster, i wanted to make sure you knew what parallels is for mac? that will allow you to run the windows only program on a mac, only downside is you have to buy windows, which is an additional cost (obviously). parallels is better than boot camp because you can easily and quickly switch back and forth from the windows side to the mac side rather than shutting down and rebooting to one side or the other. I bought a mac last night and am planning on doing this.

with that being said, i use gopher and love the program...it's simple but it's the best program i have found that will schedule your customers and invoice them at the end of the month, which consists of clicking a button at the end of the month, then folding your invoices...lawnpro sucks and didn't really like groundskeeper...the only other option i would consider is quickbooks pro, then adding q express for scheduling...still though, gopher seems to make scheduling and invoicing very simple, very synchronized...you set up your daily schedule in advance...click on what day you want...print off your list of jobs..at the end of the day click "complete all jobs" or "select completed jobs" and it will automatically put this in the invoice for that customer...then at the end of the month simply click "generate invoices" and it will automatically make the invoices

the only other program i would consider as a step up (much more expensive than gopher and quickbooks) is Service Auto Pilot...definitely the sweetest program on the market but very expensive...you have to coniser everything it does for you tho...i need a program that can do payroll, scheduling, invoicing, receipt/document scanning and organizer, etc., as well as back everything up so i don't have to worry about losing all my data if the computer crashes

If you need a program to run a program you are already way behind the 8 ball. I think this post really tells you to check out quickbooks - you need to, it will grow with you.
One of the reason we are all in business is to run our own businesses, so what is important is a program that gives you information to make decesions - QBs

mslawn
01-15-2012, 02:42 PM
I have no problems with groundskeeper pro, I have used it for many years.

4 years for me and love it the only thing that sucks is folding and sealing all these invoices lol
Posted via Mobile Device

For over 10 years we have wasted time folding those invoices. So I wised up this new year. Bought a folder last Monday from Amazon. Best $260.00 I have ever spent. Works flawlessly.
Martin Yale RapidFold Automatic Desktop Folder, Handles digital paper stocks, Grey (PREP7200)

sweetland
01-15-2012, 02:55 PM

i was actually in the apple store the other day and was asking the guy if i could run a windows app on the mac and he was telling me about the parallels program which is really nice but it does suck that you need to buy windows which is a little expense :dizzy::dizzy:

ralph02813
01-15-2012, 04:38 PM
i was actually in the apple store the other day and was asking the guy if i could run a windows app on the mac and he was telling me about the parallels program which is really nice but it does suck that you need to buy windows which is a little expense :dizzy::dizzy:

It would be cheaper to buy a toshiba laptop just for your business. Macs are not for business never have been, never will be.

mkarps
01-18-2012, 12:30 AM
I used Groundskeeper Pro for mowing last year. However I am switching to Service Autopilot this year for mowing and chemical applications. Already imported all 400 customers. Working on bulk adding their services. The support has been INCREDIBLE. If you want a program that is great now and will only grow better ( with you) into the future take a look at it.

Jonathan

Jk. I'm not really Jonathan.

buckhigh
01-18-2012, 01:24 AM
How much money are we talking for service autopilot?
Posted via Mobile Device

oomph
01-18-2012, 01:46 AM
It's a monthly service type model or "Software as a Service" provider.

It's entirely web based, you use a web browser to connect and use it.

It's a bit spendy though, the cheapest plan is $30 a month, but there is not much incentive to use it, because it lacks lots of the functions one would need. At least me personally, I'd need to the pro plan, which costs $80, plus additional fees for client portal and quickbooks integration. By the time its all said and done, you're essentially spending over $1100 a year on it.

Which isn't terrible, but if you're small or just starting out, it's a big hit to absorb. I wish they had a better pricing model for those of us that are just starting out and need all the features of the pro plan. Like give us 30% off for the first year, if we pre-pay during sign-up or something. I think they would gain more new customers going that route.

ralph02813
01-18-2012, 08:03 AM
It's a monthly service type model or "Software as a Service" provider.

It's entirely web based, you use a web browser to connect and use it.

It's a bit spendy though, the cheapest plan is $30 a month, but there is not much incentive to use it, because it lacks lots of the functions one would need. At least me personally, I'd need to the pro plan, which costs $80, plus additional fees for client portal and quickbooks integration. By the time its all said and done, you're essentially spending over $1100 a year on it.

Which isn't terrible, but if you're small or just starting out, it's a big hit to absorb. I wish they had a better pricing model for those of us that are just starting out and need all the features of the pro plan. Like give us 30% off for the first year, if we pre-pay during sign-up or something. I think they would gain more new customers going that route.

I hate to be repeatative, but here is your answer to really growing with you and starting off at as little as $10.00 and will full intergrate into Office.
www.qxpress.com/landscaping-software
It is quickbooks with the landscaping add-on

oomph
01-18-2012, 08:44 AM
No iphone/ipad or android support from it.

Also, the client portal leaves some room for improvement.

http://www.qxpress.com/qxpress-platinum-edition is $79 per month and a comparable package.

One thing that I don't like about service autopilot, is that they charge for Quickbooks integration. ****, even lawnpro has quickbooks integration built in. And with Qxpress, it's integrated.

ralph02813
01-18-2012, 09:07 AM
No iphone/ipad or android support from it.

Also, the client portal leaves some room for improvement.

http://www.qxpress.com/qxpress-platinum-edition is $79 per month and a comparable package.

One thing that I don't like about service autopilot, is that they charge for Quickbooks integration. ****, even lawnpro has quickbooks integration built in. And with Qxpress, it's integrated.

my quess is windows integration will come first in a business venue - currently kindle offers a driver so you can send any file to your Kindle it works like a print drive -
My liking of quickbooks is that you can grow into qxpress and start using something with your business for as little as $10/month.

mclarke
10-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Any chance you can inbox me the name of that program? I would love to have something with GPS