PDA

View Full Version : looking for info ona small engine mechanic

Gman2310
01-10-2012, 04:32 PM
We have a outdoor power equipment store. We are currently looking for a small engine mechanic full time. It has been family run for over 50 years. We are trying to expand and have to look outside for a mechanic. Whats is the going rate for a good mechanic. My brother thinks he can fulfill this for about $12-19 hr, what do you think

SCAGTechGA
02-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Depending on your location and qualifications of the person it could be upwards of $40k+. The national average for a tech is about $31.5k. My recommendation would be to find a local trade school and hire someone in a class, and if you are a dealer send the said person to the different schools offered by the manufactures you currently represent.

StihlMechanic
02-19-2012, 01:20 PM
Personally I wouldn't touch a wrench for anything less than $20 an hour, uniforms paid 100%, 2 weeks vacation a year and insurance. Hard for most small dealers to afford these days, but that would be my advice for compensation if you want a GOOD and EXPERIENCED tech that will stick with you. Good Luck.

SCAGTechGA
02-19-2012, 07:05 PM
Case and point $40k +.Good luck to you on your search for a tech.

StihlMechanic
02-20-2012, 10:48 PM
Also understand that an experienced tech not only invested years learning the trade, going to update schools and dealing with the ups and downs of the industry, they have their OWN money sitting in their toolbox, not the dealers money. A good tech is money well spent unless you like come-backs and losing valuable customer loyalty. Just my honest opinion, not to beat you up.

OP, what lines are you selling/servicing?

Gman2310
02-21-2012, 06:45 PM
he went to a seminar and the guy told him that any monkey can change a carb now adays. A tech shouldnt get more than $15 hr.

They have honda, stihl, redmax, tanaka, wright, bobcat, bluebird, billy goat and other misc.

turf hokie
02-21-2012, 07:00 PM
he went to a seminar and the guy told him that any monkey can change a carb now adays. A tech shouldnt get more than $15 hr.

They have honda, stihl, redmax, tanaka, wright, bobcat, bluebird, billy goat and other misc.

Wow, I wonder where this fantasy land is. Quality mechanics around here are few and far between.

nepatsfan
02-21-2012, 07:09 PM

I don't think you will have any problem finding a mechanic for $15 an hour but wait until he keeps f$%$ing everything up and customers get pissed because it took him forever to get to it and he didn't do it right. $15 an hour guys should be the apprentices that can change oil and stuff and work under the primary mechanic. $15 an hour guys get coffees and grab wrenches, grease the machines, change out parts that they are told to change. Good luck having a guy like that trying to diagnose problems for you. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

StihlMechanic
02-21-2012, 08:07 PM

Thats what they all say and think, hell, its just a mower. Mower not running? change the spark plug, that will fix her.

Sure, any monkey can replace a carb, or any part for that matter. In the industry, we call them "parts changers" and they dont stick around long. They replace parts until it works right. Yeah, hire yourself a parts changer.