PDA

View Full Version : need suggestions for truck lettering

sea ox
01-10-2012, 10:01 PM
So I bought a vinyl cutter and am working on lettering my truck and trailer. This is what I have so far. I centered the logo on the front door and centered the phone number between the 2 doors. I want to put something on the back door but im not sure what. I don't really want to list a bunch of services on the truck.. I might do that to the trailer since I am pulling my trailer 90% of the time. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Oh I edited the picture so I didn't get any prank calls :laugh:

sea ox
01-10-2012, 11:04 PM
Lets try this again....

PLS-Tx
01-11-2012, 01:00 AM
Kinda hard to read. :laugh:

Looks nice.

sweetland
01-11-2012, 01:19 AM
I think that looks great. Simple and not too over powering.
Posted via Mobile Device

sea ox
01-11-2012, 07:32 AM
Thanks! I guess I will just leave it like that for now. This sign stuff aint easy. I had a few rough drafts. hahah

srl28
01-11-2012, 12:03 PM
Do you find it was worth it after all to get the vinyl cutter? How much do you have into the whole vinyl setup money wise?

sea ox
01-11-2012, 12:20 PM
I have around 2k invested. I got a quote for around $1500 to have my truck and enclosed lettered. If I added up everything I have spent on signs, lettering, and shirts since I have been in business (6 years) this thing would have more than paid for itself by now. I like being able to make something whenever I need it and not having to wait for the sign guy. I plan on making a bunch of shirts and lawn signs too. The vinyl is really inexpensive. A roll of 24"x30' 6 year outdoor vinyl is only $30. I did my whole truck and trailer with 2 rolls. I can make money with it as a side business too. Sign work has a huge markup.

BufalinoLand
01-13-2012, 10:04 PM
great idea, im getting a vinyl cutter next week, we have 7 trucks and 5 trailers.

we also print our own tee shirts

cut out the middle man, good idea

srl28
01-14-2012, 12:25 AM
How are you printing the tshirts?? How much equipment and what kind do you have for that?

To the OP- How has it been learning to get the vinyl on and centered and installed properly, etc etc?

professional
01-14-2012, 07:32 AM
Off subject here, but in the pic, it looks like when you open the suicide door, it would hit the lever for the dump bed. That must not happen because the door looks fine. Is it the angle of the pic that make it look that way? Also, love that truck!

sea ox
01-14-2012, 09:06 AM
great idea, im getting a vinyl cutter next week, we have 7 trucks and 5 trailers.

we also print our own tee shirts

cut out the middle man, good idea

How do you print your shirts and how do they hold up. I bought the iron on stuff for now. The plotter cuts it out then you just iron it on. I was thinking about buying thicker stuff and a heat press but not if this stuff holds up for at least a year.

sea ox
01-14-2012, 09:14 AM
Its not easy getting it on straight but im getting the hang of it. It took me about 3 days to learn. That was layering my logo with 3 different colors too. I have never done any of this before and learned from watching videos on youtube. I did mess up a couple times.. i put the logo on my trailer by misting it with soapy water. I must not have gotten all the water out because when the sun hit it alot of little bubbles formed. No big deal I will just make a new one. The whole thing cost me maybe $20 in material and a couple hours. Im going to take pics when im done. Its too cold to put anymore on for now

sea ox
01-14-2012, 09:41 AM
Off subject here, but in the pic, it looks like when you open the suicide door, it would hit the lever for the dump bed. That must not happen because the door looks fine. Is it the angle of the pic that make it look that way? Also, love that truck!

Thanks yea I just checked. It gets close but does not hit. I still need ideas for something to put on that door. I think it looks empty.

professional
01-14-2012, 01:57 PM
If you have a web address, that could fit somehow. A website address is easier to remember on the fly than a number. I haven't gotten my truck lettered yet, just the trailer. When I get the truck done, it will be similar to yours. Logo and phone number. Simple. The trailer has a little more on it, not much though. I find that a vehicle with a lot of pics and info cause me to have too much info to pay attention to and remember the phone number. I like what you have.

sea ox
01-14-2012, 04:40 PM
Thanks I agree. If its too busy and hard to read I don't pay attention to it. I tried to keep the truck simple and easy to read. The trailer is a different story though. Thats a rolling billboard. I always have neighbors and passersby ask if I do a certain service. Maybe that will happen more often now.

Jbh0724
01-15-2012, 05:51 PM
I think your lettering looks great. Nice truck

stockie
01-19-2012, 11:40 AM
For your cab door, are you a certified horticulturist or arborist, or member of any associations? Their logo would look good there.

DIXIECONTRACTING
01-20-2012, 10:07 AM
Hey Sea Ox what brand of vinyl cutter did you buy and how do you like it.

sea ox
01-20-2012, 10:51 AM
Thats a good idea.
I bought a roland. I didn't want to take a chance with any of the cheap cutters. It was a little pricey but i'm tired of paying people to do things I can do myself. Its working great so far.

DIXIECONTRACTING
01-20-2012, 10:54 AM
Looks great but how do you get black around the green isn't it one color rolls at a time in machine ?

sea ox
01-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Yes you have to cut out one color at a time and then layer it. I learned by watching youtube videos. It took a little practice.

DIXIECONTRACTING
01-20-2012, 11:22 AM
Wow again nice job good luck

sea ox
01-20-2012, 11:23 AM
Thanks! good luck this season

mkarr315
06-09-2012, 10:27 PM
check my stuff out please - only 17 just getting in the biz.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80251699@N04/sets/72157630091291816/