PDA

View Full Version : dirt from bottom of pond

cubsfan1
01-10-2012, 10:58 PM
Hey guys I was wondering if the dirt I had dredged out of my pond can be used as good black dirt? It looks nice and black but was not sure if it lacked nutrients you would find in regular black dirt

BlazerRidge
01-10-2012, 11:17 PM
Just send some of it in for a soil sample analysis.

Smallaxe
01-11-2012, 09:32 AM
What has been put in the pond by you or naturally? and are you talking muck, clay, sand, or loam?

cubsfan1
01-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Its actually not my pond but there is a farmers field next to it. It looks like great black dirt. I dug into it and looks good but I'm not sure if that is decieving or not. The people that live there told me I could have it all I have to do is haul it off. U don't come across free black dirt very often

Smallaxe
01-11-2012, 11:59 PM
Take some out, let it dry to some extent, rub it between your fingers to see if it 'ribbons', or is 'grainey' or whether it is 'slimey'...

Determine the 'texture' before you take the next step... Yes, a soil analysis will tell you what you need to know if they give you the % of sand, clay and silt...

Do a 'mason jar' test for yourself and see what the elements separate into... There is no blanket idea about what might be eroding into a pond... Check out what you are dealing with, then you can make a reasonably sensible decision...

How many yards of "Topsoil" do you estimate at harvest?

PlantscapeSolutions
01-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Anything out of a pond is likely to have a high clay content and drain poorly.

Smallaxe
01-12-2012, 11:10 AM
Not my pond... It's the richest most desire soil one could hope for... I put nothing but my 'pond stuff' into a large pot and grew Brocolli in it w/out any additional fert, and the stuff was perfect... :)