PDA

View Full Version : ET Hermit Crab

Tony Clifton
01-11-2012, 08:36 AM
I haven't been on the board lately (if any of you even remember me) but I have been interested in the ET Hermit Crab since I heard about it last spring. I wanted to give it some time before I offered it to my customers so now that some of you have had it installed for a season I wanted to gather your thoughts. How has it performed, is the flow sensing capability available yet, etc. Thanks!

jvanvliet
01-11-2012, 08:48 AM
Why don't you give us a link, or tell us what it is in case some of us may not know what it is and could be interested.

Tony Clifton
01-11-2012, 09:10 AM
http://www.etwater.com/public/hermitcrab/index.html

To sum it up, it will turn conventional controllers into smart controllers by mounting a small "module" that communicates with a satellite to gather weather data. You can also access the controller through a PC, and use your smart phone as a remote control. One of the things I liked and was told it can do but do not think is available was that it had flow sensing capabilities where if you had a break it would shut down the system and send you an email to let you know (I thought this would make it an easy sale for the customer). That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Sprinkus
01-11-2012, 09:43 AM
We're waiting for the first guinea pig to report back.
I'll do the same for the idd (http://www.dblive.com/technologies/DbLive-iidd-i), if I can ever get it to work.

Kiril
01-11-2012, 09:47 AM
http://www.etwater.com/public/hermitcrab/index.html

To sum it up, it will turn conventional controllers into smart controllers by mounting a small "module" that communicates with a satellite to gather weather data. You can also access the controller through a PC, and use your smart phone as a remote control. One of the things I liked and was told it can do but do not think is available was that it had flow sensing capabilities where if you had a break it would shut down the system and send you an email to let you know (I thought this would make it an easy sale for the customer). That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

I don't know what controller you are looking at, but this add-on doesn't communicate with satellites. It communicates with the etwater servers which sets the controller program using local weather data (probably NOAA). There are numerous drawbacks to this and personally I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot poll.

Kiril
01-11-2012, 09:57 AM
We're waiting for the first guinea pig to report back.
I'll do the same for the idd (http://www.dblive.com/technologies/DbLive-iidd-i), if I can ever get it to work.

Different pitch .... same drawbacks .... and smacks of that POS RB ET Mananger.

Tony Clifton
01-11-2012, 10:44 AM
I don't know what controller you are looking at, but this add-on doesn't communicate with satellites. It communicates with the etwater servers which sets the controller program using local weather data (probably NOAA). There are numerous drawbacks to this and personally I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot poll.

My bad, not sure why I said satellites, it's basically a wireless internet card right? I'm not a tech guru but how does it get the signal, radio tower?

Kiril
01-11-2012, 11:29 AM
My bad, not sure why I said satellites, it's basically a wireless internet card right? I'm not a tech guru but how does it get the signal, radio tower?

It works like a cell phone.

Tony Clifton
01-11-2012, 02:06 PM
It works like a cell phone.

Okay, so was I not correct the first time when I said it communicated with Satellites. (connects with the server via Satellite, right?)

Kiril
01-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Okay, so was I not correct the first time when I said it communicated with Satellites. (connects with the server via Satellite, right?)

cellular communication .... i.e. cell towers. Not the same as a satellite phone.

This is a cell phone tower.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2d/Cell_Phone_Tower.jpg/220px-Cell_Phone_Tower.jpg

FIMCO-MEISTER
01-11-2012, 03:47 PM
So Cal gave me a seminar on them and really likes them. Maybe he will weight in.
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
01-11-2012, 07:24 PM
I dunno, just a feeling. Looks like an interesting product. It may be a low cost solution for reducing water usage (and cost) for our commercial accounts drawing from city water.

I'd be interested in what SoCal has to say if he chimes in.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Mike Leary
01-11-2012, 07:40 PM
Two words: "Snake Oil"

Kiril
01-11-2012, 08:53 PM
You people know, you can search for stuff?

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=335370

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
01-11-2012, 09:45 PM
Two words: "Snake Oil"

How so? Have you used the product? Have you installed one? Please enlighten us as to how you arrived at the conclusion that the product is "Snake Oil"...

Irrigation Contractor
01-11-2012, 11:48 PM
I haven't been on the board lately (if any of you even remember me) but I have been interested in the ET Hermit Crab since I heard about it last spring. I wanted to give it some time before I offered it to my customers so now that some of you have had it installed for a season I wanted to gather your thoughts. How has it performed, is the flow sensing capability available yet, etc. Thanks!

I will take a shot at this one, since we actually have used these controllers.

First of all, it is somewhat confusing to me to see some of the responses on from other posters. How can some of you give "advice" when you have never used the product(s)?

Kiril, please do not take this the wrong way, but do you like anything? You are extremely negative and it is no wonder many of my fellow contractors laugh at this site. I am suprised the moderators let some of this garbage go on as long as it does. The advertisers are not really getting the money's worth with the handful of guys on here constantly chasing away new posters that are not used to the so called "Hazing" or "Initiation" that belongs more in a serority or frat house?

I am not looking to start an arguement, but is this a place to hang out?......or is it a place to discuss irrigation, business, techniques, new equipment and technology? Some of you guys really know your stuff and I am amazed with the level of skill and knowledge that I have seen, but some of these other guys put a dark cloud over this forum.

With all of that said, we have used the RB, TUCOR, Hunter, and ET water central control / ET / Remote site technology and with various degree's of success and all positive.

ET water does use its own calculations along with imput from the owner, contractor or whomever is doing the maintenance on the irrigation system. It does make adjustments based on weather, but not the weather from the last couple of years. Each controller is tied into the nearest weather stations like weatherbug. These sites gather the data and the ET servers use the temps and rainfall to adjust the watering schedule in conjunction with on site weather stations and rain sensors.

ET will send a email to the user if it has any issues, rain sensors are activated etc. It is not a full computer controlled system and ET does NOT claim this anywhere. The first site we set up had 5 convential controllers (Hunter ICC's) and the ET rep stated this multiple times to us and the customer. As the seasons moves along from spring to summer we are constantly making small adjustments to each zone, but the ET servers are making adjustments that would need to be made in the field daily. Little water saved here and there really adds up on 20 to 100 acre sites.

We enter a specific profile for each zone; soil type, slope, sun / shade, type of sprinkler / nozzle, plant material, annuals / perennials, type of turf grass, cool season vs. warm season turf, established or new plantings, root depths. The controller then calculates the profile and makes adjustments to which includes cycle soaks up to four different start times. "Most" medium to large contractors just do not have the personel or abilty to make these changes manually on a day to day or even week to week basis. The property we rigged up last year saved over 30% now that we have gotten our final audit reports for the year end from the owners.

MAAC owns properties all over the country and they have been converting all of their properties over the last 3 years. The VP of land is in contact with me every other week and I can tell you they are extremely pleased with the product.

The Hermit Crab is nice because you do not have to change the contollers and the price is just a no brainer for us. We will save double the cost in labor and fuel alone over a season and we have the ability to shut down all of our sites before the rain even hits the ground.

This is not just for ET, it does include the Rainbird IQ system also. Tucor does not really make the adjustments, but have the ability to shut down a system from my iPad or iPhone is pretty cool.

ET has a unique App called "Quick Draw", again allowing access with an iPhone or Ipad. So no "Pig Tails" (sorry, had to throw that in there. LOL) since we use our smart phone as a on site remote. Anything you can do with a remote, you can do with the Quick Draw App, and do things you can not do with a remote.

The other nice thing about the ET server system is if you have let's say 5 controllers on one site, when you log in to ET, all of the controllers are on one login page and all can be easily accessed. ET also logs all of the weather info and watering information which has come in very handy if an issue were to come up.

Give it a try for yourself and I hope this was helpful. Send me a PM and I will be happy to try and help.

jvanvliet
01-12-2012, 06:29 AM
Thank you for your response. We are very interested in the product. It is difficult to seperate the marketing hype from the field reality without some input from an actual user.

I would still like to hear SoCal chime in on his experience.

Based on what I've read so far, its a great opportunity to upsell an existing client on a smart system without the sticker shock.

FIMCO-MEISTER
01-12-2012, 06:57 AM
Great post I C. I've tried numerous times to explain that advertisers make this site possible and we should welcome reps. The only advantage remotes such as rain master have are durability and the ability to be able to run any brand of controller with the proper set up. Rain Master still sells 2,000 plus remotes a year. In some ways all the brand specific remotes aren't hurting Rain Master as much as I thought it would because once an irrigator gets programmed to service with a remote he wants it available on all controllers not just the more high end ones.

What I liked most about the Hermit when SC explained it to me was he had a couple that he could move from site to site and be able to manage a system without a trip to the site. If he loses the contract someday he just takes the Hermit and uses it somewhere else. Ideally you'd want the customer to spring for a permanent hookup but if they don't you can still set them up temporarily to save you money on maintaining their property.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tony Clifton
01-12-2012, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the input Irrigation Contractor! I know you said we could PM you with questions but I wanted to post this question on here so others could learn. (the reason I started the thread instead of using the search feature as suggested).
You had said the Hermit Crab "is not a full computer controlled system and ET does NOT claim this anywhere." Now that I have gotten solid feedback from a couple of you, I have done some more research. I was concerned when you made the above statement, thinking that there was a possibility that you could not adjust run times, watering days, etc. from an offsite computer. I read a couple different things on ET's website, one said "remote monitoring & management from the web" the other only said "remote monitoring." Would you mind letting us know? Thanks!

Lefet
01-12-2012, 07:40 AM
Good thread, thanks for the info.

Kiril
01-12-2012, 09:23 AM
Kiril, please do not take this the wrong way, but do you like anything? You are extremely negative and it is no wonder many of my fellow contractors laugh at this site.

If you would do a search, you will find ample reasons why I do not like controllers that use weather data collected off site and/or charge a fee to get interpolated weather data that may not/will not represent site conditions. Now if you want to pay a fee to get remote access that is another thing altogether. That is the opinion of someone who primarily does irrigation & water conservation management, you can take it or leave it.

DIXIECONTRACTING
01-12-2012, 10:07 AM
[QUOTE=Irrigation Contractor;4270994]I will take a shot at this one, since we actually have used these controllers.

First of all, it is somewhat confusing to me to see some of the responses on from other posters. How can some of you give "advice" when you have never used the product(s)?

Kiril, please do not take this the wrong way, but do you like anything? You are extremely negative and it is no wonder many of my fellow contractors laugh at this site. I am suprised the moderators let some of this garbage go on as long as it does. The advertisers are not really getting the money's worth with the handful of guys on here constantly chasing away new posters that are not used to the so called "Hazing" or "Initiation" that belongs more in a serority or frat house?

I am not looking to start an arguement, but is this a place to hang out?......or is it a place to discuss irrigation, business, techniques, new equipment and technology? Some of you guys really know your stuff and I am amazed with the level of skill and knowledge that I have seen, but some of these other guys put a dark cloud over this forum.

QUOTE]

Very well said Irrigation Contractor I hope the moderators take note of this.

Irrigation Contractor
01-12-2012, 10:07 AM
Great post I C. I've tried numerous times to explain that advertisers make this site possible and we should welcome reps. The only advantage remotes such as rain master have are durability and the ability to be able to run any brand of controller with the proper set up. Rain Master still sells 2,000 plus remotes a year. In some ways all the brand specific remotes aren't hurting Rain Master as much as I thought it would because once an irrigator gets programmed to service with a remote he wants it available on all controllers not just the more high end ones.

What I liked most about the Hermit when SC explained it to me was he had a couple that he could move from site to site and be able to manage a system without a trip to the site. If he loses the contract someday he just takes the Hermit and uses it somewhere else. Ideally you'd want the customer to spring for a permanent hookup but if they don't you can still set them up temporarily to save you money on maintaining their property.
Posted via Mobile Device

I completely agree with the remotes and we use them all, but I have not tried the Rain Master. I am going to look into their products, but I have not seen them around here.

Each truck has a RB, Hunter, and a TRC. Based on that, would we benefit from the RM? PM me any specific information and I was kidding about the pig tails. I am a very Pro remote!!!!

jvanvliet
01-12-2012, 10:34 AM
I'm located in South Palm Beach County, FL. Where can I find a distributor?

Irrigation Contractor
01-12-2012, 10:38 AM
As far as ET goes, we get it through John Deere Landscapes who around hear has it as an exclusive line. I cannot get it through Ewing etc.

If you are talking about the Rain Master Remote, then I am interested also.

If you have trouble finding a place to purchase, contact ET and they can tell you. If you need any technical info, ask for Leroy.

I am going to email RM now and see what they say.

Good luck.

FIMCO-MEISTER
01-12-2012, 10:57 AM
I completely agree with the remotes and we use them all, but I have not tried the Rain Master. I am going to look into their products, but I have not seen them around here.

Each truck has a RB, Hunter, and a TRC. Based on that, would we benefit from the RM? PM me any specific information and I was kidding about the pig tails. I am a very Pro remote!!!!

If you have a TRC which serves as your universal remote then the RM Promax UA is not totally necessary.

When you need a new universal remote then I'd definitely give the RM a shot. It costs less than the TRC Commander and is more durable. Has a range of 1-1.5 miles. Uses a camera type lithium battery that will last 3-6 months depending on heat and use. What it does best though is that when you push a button it sends the signal instantly. No delay like the TRC. That TRC delay drove me nuts. I'd turn on a zone and realize I needed to immediately turn it off and push the off button before the first signal had been transmitted. Or a flush would require wasting more water to process.

JDL has them.

Irrigation Contractor
01-12-2012, 11:05 AM
The TRC's are a few years old and the guys do not like them. This is why they almost always use the RB and Hunter remotes......the Quick Draw for ET is just easier to use instead of hooking up all the clips for the TRC.

We are adding 2 more service techs this year and I will get them the RM remotes. Waiting for them to email me back a local vendor.

Thanks for all the great feedback on RM!!!! That is why I come here and I never would have known about the company if I had not seen it here.

What is the deal with the "Pig Tails" anyway? Are the specific to the RM, better, less costs???

Much appreciated!!! If I need to move this discussion on the remotes to another thread, please let me know and I apologize for getting off topic.

jvanvliet
01-12-2012, 04:43 PM
I don't mind a rep posting as long as I know it's a rep. If somebody has a product that offers solutions to a relevant problem, I don't see why they shouldn't inform the Forum.

This ET Hermit Crab looks like a great opportunity to sell existing customers on a upgrade to an economical "smart" system that benefits them in reduced water usage and turf & ornamental stress as a result of poor water management. The product benefits me as well, ie. work and simplified maintenance.

I'll be contacting my John Deere rep to obtain more info & maybe a demo. The only thing I'm choking on so far is the annual fee (I believe it was somewhere around $260+).

FIMCO-MEISTER
01-12-2012, 04:56 PM
The cables for each controller type is a separate purchase I believe. Once again So Cal would know better.
Posted via Mobile Device

FIMCO-MEISTER
01-12-2012, 07:09 PM
Its an option for a problem that exists today. There is always a next year. If you wait for next year are you going to wait for the next next year? It seems to be selling pretty well from my feedback and ETwater has been around long enough now that they are a fairly viable company. Plus they moved their manufacturing back to the USA.