PDA

View Full Version : Need Design Opinions (w/ pictures)

joee0914
01-11-2012, 10:38 AM
Im looking for some opinions or recommendations..This is a little backyard design for a new customer of mine. Thanks! :drinkup:
Its zones 5-6 and must be deer resistant.

These are the before pictures of the two sections of the yard.
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/joee0914/a013.jpg
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/joee0914/a018.jpg

These are the designs I made... There are two different designs for the fence side of the yard.
I personally like the first.

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/joee0914/Barry1.jpg
Includes: Boxwoods, Small Grasses, Azaleas, and a Japanesse Maple

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/joee0914/Barry3.jpg
Includes: Large and Small Grasses, Rhodos, Azaleas, and Annuals

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/joee0914/Barry2.jpg
Includes: Boxwoods, Dwarf Cypress, and Annuals

Smallaxe
01-11-2012, 10:56 AM
I always like to go High/Low rather than everything being below the waist... This of course will depend on view versus privacy, which in my opinion blocking those houses behind the fence would be the shrubs I'd select... Spruce, are deer resistant and can be pruned to a hedge... JMHO... :)

CALandscapes
01-11-2012, 11:03 AM
The first is better by far. I don't have any major problems with it... It's definitely better than most of what I see on here...

Lefet2
01-11-2012, 12:15 PM
What software program are you using?

KrayzKajun
01-11-2012, 12:22 PM
The first is better by far. I don't have any major problems with it... It's definitely better than most of what I see on here...

What chase said. I really like the first one. What program did you use?
Posted via Mobile Device

Lefet2
01-11-2012, 12:25 PM
Oh sorry I like the ones with the boxwoods.

joee0914
01-11-2012, 12:59 PM
What chase said. I really like the first one. What program did you use?

Realtime Landscaping Architect/Photo.. It was the only other program that seemed to get good reviews other than prolandscape and i think it come to be around $350 for the suite of all their software.

And thanks guys...I just sent the design to the customer to see what he thinks.

Deererunner
01-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Realtime Landscaping Architect/Photo.. It was the only other program that seemed to get good reviews other than prolandscape and i think it come to be around $350 for the suite of all their software.

And thanks guys...I just sent the design to the customer to see what he thinks.

First off, I like the first design better, with the maple. Would you plan to install a maple of that size, I know down by me a Jap. Maple that size would run at whole sale around 850 and not many customers are always willing to shell out the money for a mature tree... I like it though!

Second.. I know this is going to be a little off topic but how do you like that design program you used. I have always wanted to get a program to help aid with visuals for the customers but have not found one really with all that great reviews. Do you use it alot? What are some pros and cons you find with the program? Would you recommend it to others? It would be greatly appriciated if you could answer those questions. Thank you!

joee0914
01-11-2012, 04:09 PM
First off, I like the first design better, with the maple. Would you plan to install a maple of that size, I know down by me a Jap. Maple that size would run at whole sale around 850 and not many customers are always willing to shell out the money for a mature tree... I like it though!

Second.. I know this is going to be a little off topic but how do you like that design program you used. I have always wanted to get a program to help aid with visuals for the customers but have not found one really with all that great reviews. Do you use it alot? What are some pros and cons you find with the program? Would you recommend it to others? It would be greatly appriciated if you could answer those questions. Thank you!

The maple i'd install would probably be 1/3 the size.. like you said a maple that size would run far to much for a simple residential design.

Since there seems to be a lot of questions about the program itself. Ill give u guys the run down

As far as usage goes it gets put to use every once in awhile... not as much as id like but thats my fault for not marketing 3-D and computer design enough... also i charge between $30-150 for the design and if they choose to go ahead with the work we subtract that cost from the project total (in a way it becomes a free service when the job is agree upon) which works great. Plus the program is fairly simple to understand and only took me a couple of hours to really get it down good.

one problem i have with it, is that its windows only and i run a mac so i had to install boot camp on my computer to use it. Also i found they don't have techo-bloc as a type of paver/stone choice, which is basically all we use, but they do have similar things to it.

I would only recommend the whole suite of programs since each individual program is limited by its intended use.

And if your largely into commercial design I would probably say to fork up the dough and get PROlandscape but if your work is mostly residental and some commercial this is great especially for the price.

It gets an 8/10 from me.

joee0914
01-11-2012, 05:10 PM
So I sent the design to my customer and he liked it except for the azaleas... for some reason he doesnt want anything that flowers which is beyond me.

I switched them up for some goldstrike aucuba and blue star junipers. Im trying to bring some color and contrast but its hard with all deer resistant and non flowering plants

What do you guys think of this one..

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/joee0914/Barry4.jpg

agrostis
01-11-2012, 08:30 PM
It is hard to find colorful plant's when you have to deal with deer. Anything in the rhododendron family is deer food. Any thing that flower's is going to be browsed. If the deer are hungry enough almost any plant is deer food. This list might help some. http://njaes.rutgers.edu/deerresistance/

classy
01-18-2012, 09:50 PM
Your first composition has a major design flaw in the use of color. Yet, fear not, many make these design flaws. Color is used to draw the eye to focal points and a fence line is clearly an opportunity to establish one of the 6 major design elements "Rhythm and Line", a fence line is not a focal point.

I know, I know, it's boring, yes, until you get to the focal points, which are accented with your colors.

I put together this simple example of Rhythm and line along that fence line, note the restriction on the number of specie included (2-3).

http://www.brimtree.com/yardpractice.bmp

...and to quote from a protected landscaping reference which cannot be revealed to mere mortals, and other forms of direct competition, lol

: page 351 paragraph 2

"...Further more it is desirable to mass plants so they form groups of multiple plants of the SAME species. Masses of plants, whether woody, perennial, or annual, should not be composed of numerous singular plants. Rather, plant masses should be composed of subgroups of numerous plants of the same species. Single plants of a species can be used, but should be reserved for carefully placed accents rather than being located throughout a plant mass."

p.s. I'm serious about the design elements, kidding about the mortal stuff, you know how text is, people can take it the wrong way, this is all to be helpful and fun.

CrownScapes
01-18-2012, 10:48 PM
Does it get full sun or a lot? Maybe goldmop or form of it and maybe around patio something with purple

JoeAtRU
01-19-2012, 05:04 PM
I like the first one. They teach a class here at Rutgers on Landscape Design, and that would fit right in - although they usually have some tough advice about planting trees, and what they'll eventually do to the grass/shrubs.

wildstarblazer
01-21-2012, 11:06 AM
I like the "Rhythm and Line" concept. Maybe use a more interesting shrub tho. Something with a colorful leaf maybe.

wildstarblazer
01-21-2012, 11:09 AM
Euonymus has a nice variegated leaf. I think is deer resistant.

johnnybow
01-22-2012, 10:27 AM
I like it and i like the program too.. Looks great!

alf500series
01-22-2012, 10:52 AM
looks good but I'm not a big fan of boxwood. yeah its green year round but once its mature its smells like cat piss. i always use Japanese holly instead.

wildstarblazer
01-22-2012, 06:03 PM
Another idea. Azaleas for some color and a few plants that you already had in mind. I'm a zone 7 and up scaper so not sure what plants do well in zone 5-6.