PDA

View Full Version : 2011 year end results?

DanaMac
01-12-2012, 10:38 AM
So how was your 2011 overall? Good, bad, ugly, stagnant, phenomenal? And WHY?
Our sales were down 3.5%, which I attribute to a few things.
Knee surgery kept me out of the field for two months mid-summer
Largest customer, landscape company, decided to do most service work including blow outs in-house this year instead of contracting to us
We did zero advertising
We turned down working with the city parks department which we had done the year before
So overall, gross sales numbers were down a bit, but not bad for all the above reasons. Fuel cost was up 41% for us, but that was the only major change in other expenses. Insurance and workers comp was down since we did not work for the city parks.
So I would say it was stagnant or very even, compared to 2010 for us. I'm looking to grow a bit this year though.

I do see more homes being built in my area again. Just down the road from me there is a development that was put on hold about 3-4 years ago. They now have 18 homes being built at the same time. New car registrations are up significantly for our county. Are things rebounding? We'll see.

hoskm01
01-12-2012, 07:11 PM
In the commercial/industrial landscape world, which is about all I know these days, I think things were stagnant, flat, unwavering and dull.

A few bright spots on the horizon though as interest and actions picked up towards the end of the year:
Many customers felt the pain from the sting of low-priced, low-service/low-quality companies and realize now that you get what you pay for.
Efficiency and water-savings initiatives on the irrigation side of things are on the rise. A few major customers have heard what current technology can do as prices drop on hardware and some projects are already in the works.

For me personally, my executive level had a shake-up (some for the better) as we were purchased by a major (Fortune 500) company and the inevitable changes took place. I very much enjoy my position but miss running a small business. Thoughts on the next move have been discussed; Flagstaff or Colorado are likely in the five-year plan.

DanaMac
01-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Here is the thing with me - I could have expanded every single year, and just never really had the ambition to do it. I'm at a place now where I think I can and want to.
Low snow pack here might once again mean harsh water restrictions, meaning people will need to get the most out of their system during their allotted days. Good chance for up-selling again. I just need to find the right people to bring on board.

Mike Leary
01-12-2012, 07:27 PM
For me personally, my executive level had a shake-up (some for the better) as we were purchased by a major (Fortune 500) company and the inevitable changes took place. I very much enjoy my position but miss running a small business. Thoughts on the next move have been discussed; Flagstaff or Colorado are likely in the five-year plan.

You've always loved Flag. Lodge in Glendale on the 16th or 18th? My turn to buy.

greenmonster304
01-12-2012, 09:14 PM
I had a good year irrigation was up 30% I did some HVAC jobs in the fall and winter which I don't count in the 30%. I think it is due to the local economy improving, my name getting around more, and me having a better billing system.
Posted via Mobile Device

Stuttering Stan
01-12-2012, 09:20 PM
I'm still rolling coins. Will have the final tally soon.

irritation
01-12-2012, 09:21 PM
I did better last year due to old customers dying and the new homeowners upgrading.

FIMCO-MEISTER
01-12-2012, 11:01 PM
I caught a 20" trout.
Posted via Mobile Device

irritation
01-12-2012, 11:19 PM
and I killed a 12 point buck. :confused:

So what, I did that when I was 15 years old and many other things. Happiness with my family only matters now.

FIMCO-MEISTER
01-12-2012, 11:25 PM
:::::backs out of humorless thread::::::
Posted via Mobile Device

irritation
01-13-2012, 12:06 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

hoskm01
01-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Posted via Desktop Computer

DanaMac
01-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Posted via Smoke Signals

Wet_Boots
01-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Posted telekinetically

AI Inc
01-17-2012, 09:59 AM
Well bought a new truck , a new boat and a new to me house and still ended up with the same amount in the bank at the end of the yr. But the house only cost me $100 down , so I guess that dosnt count.

Wet_Boots
01-17-2012, 01:36 PM
my new boat is way cooler.....

MMyCPE6IhQk

greenmonster304
01-17-2012, 01:57 PM
But the house only cost me $100 down , so I guess that dosnt count.

How does that work? Doll house? Out house? Hen house?
Posted via Mobile Device

drfrumpy
01-17-2012, 02:07 PM
Back on track......
We ended up about the same as the last 3 years...But the margins are looking slowly better and better. I have been turning alot of work down, telling people that we refuse to race these guys down hill. Seems to be working so far.

DanaMac
01-17-2012, 04:34 PM
I've seen plenty of people go into business and when things start looking good, they expand too much and too fast. Next thing you know, they are out of business and selling off equipment for pennies on the dollar. The shop I am in was previously rented by an electrician, and in '06 or '07 he leased 4-5 brand new one-ton trucks and vans, bought lots of equipment, hired a bunch of people, and moved to a bigger shop. Less than two years later he was out of the biz and working in Alaska. Hold the course, expand slowly or methodically, and have good steady growth. Don't jump at the first big opportunity that may present itself, without the proper planning.

I expanded when I found the right people to bring on, and turned work away until I got them on board.

AI Inc
01-18-2012, 06:20 AM
How does that work? Doll house? Out house? Hen house?
Posted via Mobile Device

Put down 2k . in my offer it stated " seller to pay $9k towards closing costs.
Closing only cost $7100, so I got a check at closing for $1900.

Lighthouse Lawncare
01-18-2012, 07:13 AM
Hello, my name is Bryan and am the owner of Lighthouse Lawncare Tacoma. I started my business in April 2011 with a self-prop weedeater brand mower and an old weedeater brand trimmer.

By June I had 7 clients and was in the need to buy a new mower, Since then I have purchased three new mowers, I have two trimmers (new) a Husq backpack blower...etc and so on. The year has been good.

I went into November losing 6 clients but I got up to 24 total. I am down to 19 annual(s) that are bring injust under $1500 a month. I plan on getting at least 30 more annual contracts by mid Summer.

I am thinking of getting into sprinklers and other small stuff. Not sure how to do this yet. Any input woud be greatly appreciated

2012 promisses to be a great year I honestly believe I can get to $4500+/mo.

Anyone from WA State?

hoskm01
01-18-2012, 03:23 PM
Hello, my name is Bryan and am the owner of Lighthouse Lawncare Tacoma. I started my business in April 2011 with a self-prop weedeater brand mower and an old weedeater brand trimmer.

By June I had 7 clients and was in the need to buy a new mower, Since then I have purchased three new mowers, I have two trimmers (new) a Husq backpack blower...etc and so on. The year has been good.

I went into November losing 6 clients but I got up to 24 total. I am down to 19 annual(s) that are bring injust under $1500 a month. I plan on getting at least 30 more annual contracts by mid Summer.

I am thinking of getting into sprinklers and other small stuff. Not sure how to do this yet. Any input woud be greatly appreciated

2012 promisses to be a great year I honestly believe I can get to $4500+/mo.

Anyone from WA State?
Good work Bryan, and welcome.

If you care to venture in to the irrigation world, take a good long time to learn from a pro who would be willing to teach you throughout the course of the year. Don't just jump in without that education if you care to be good at it.

Mike Leary
01-18-2012, 05:36 PM
Anyone from WA State?

Yup, born and bred. We'll be up there (Port Townsend) in April for the season.
After you get a few posts, pm me your e-adress and we'll get together. :)

mitchgo
01-18-2012, 07:30 PM
Good Luck down in Tacoma

Mark B
01-18-2012, 09:46 PM
I will say this has been the best year EVER!!
Posted via Mobile Device

DanaMac
01-18-2012, 09:50 PM
I will say this has been the best year EVER!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Care to elaborate as to how or why?

Wet_Boots
01-18-2012, 10:06 PM
he got laid :)

Mark B
01-18-2012, 11:23 PM
I did that too. It was with several victims. Dana it is cause of my great FT job, the side work and the wuz worth it stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mark B
01-19-2012, 10:51 PM
Plus where I Work at we got #3 place to work at this year. The 2 past years we were #1. cheers to mee
Posted via Mobile Device

DanaMac
01-19-2012, 11:05 PM
Plus where I Work at we got #3 place to work at this year. The 2 past years we were #1. cheers to mee
Posted via Mobile Device

So you work at SAS? :)
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-best-companies-to-work-for.html

Read this list earlier today.

Mark B
01-19-2012, 11:13 PM
Yes I do.. Did ya think I was messing around? It has been 1 year and 2 days when I started their. I really drive 41 miles 1 way, with a big **** eat ass grin on my face. I work 9am-5am with a 1hr lunch. Yep that adds up to 35 hrs a week.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike Leary
01-19-2012, 11:13 PM
I made $2,000.00 last year, does that count?

DanaMac
01-19-2012, 11:15 PM
I made $2,000.00 last year, does that count?

Damn son!!! You're rollin' in the dough!!! Kick some my way.

Mark B
01-19-2012, 11:22 PM
http://www.sas.com/company/results12/ I am not Rollin.... But I am very happy with what I get paid. The only downside is I get paid once a month. But Dana here is what I say. All the crap I went through I can say it wuz worth it.

I have had to build up some new customers that are close by. All around it is abosutly wonderful!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike Leary
01-19-2012, 11:33 PM
Damn son!!! You're rollin' in the dough!!! Kick some my way.

Less is more: when we land up north, I take care of the County Parks' screwed-up systems for free camping. Here's our view:

DanaMac
01-19-2012, 11:56 PM
http://www.sas.com/company/results12/ I am not Rollin.... But I am very happy with what I get paid. The only downside is I get paid once a month. But Dana here is what I say. All the crap I went through I can say it wuz worth it.

I have had to build up some new customers that are close by. All around it is abosutly wonderful!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

I was referring to Mike's high rollin' $2k. Not your sweet job.

Mark B
01-20-2012, 08:30 AM
Gotcha.
Posted via Mobile Device

koster_irrigation
01-22-2012, 10:47 AM
This past year was great. About a 20% gain over the last year due to a few large scale projects we knocked out in Wake County. We're still hovering in the mid 6 fig range.

We'll hover around the same im projecting this year or slightly less.

We've had alot of good luck winning bids & contracted lots of commercial installs to do in the coming months, this has also been the busiest January i can remember, mainly due to the mild weather, no snow, little rain etc.

The Residential installations are stale, and installed very few systems last season. Residential repairs are holding strong and im still growning the client base on this end, prob 400 regular clients residential. The rest are commerical, municipal, another 200 sites or so.

bmwsmity
01-23-2012, 12:45 PM
this is gonna sound crazy, but we had a 194% increase over last year's revenue... and last year's was a good year too..

reason is, gotta new vibe plow that took my job times from 4-5 days to 2-3 days, along with a LOT of referral business... plus i landed a really big job that was 10% of the whole year's sales.

this year, i'm expecting around a 35-40% increase, which is what i've had for the past 5 years before..

also, my biz is only 6 years old, so, still in the growth phase. still, pretty happy with how the year went!