PDA

View Full Version : Controlling Turf Disease

JoeAtRU
01-12-2012, 11:19 AM
Rich Buckley at the RU Diagnsotic Lab here in NJ gave me this advice about controlling turf diseases:

1. Avoid draught, but keep the foliage as dry as possible.
2. Mow at recommended cutting heights.
3. Aerify to reduce thatch and compaction.
4. Use resistant varieties.

If anyone's interested, he teaches an outstanding class in Pest Management of Landscape Turf (http://www.cpe.rutgers.edu/courses/current/al0403ca.html) on 2/2/12.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Ideal items. But most homeowners cannot help 1 and 4, and don't do 2.
Therefore disease.

In addition to above, I am thinking of going to some organic solutions to disease. I have just not been impressed by synthetic fungicides for my main issue (Necrotic Ring Spot). Have already been using straight Milorganite for trouble lawns.

Smallaxe
01-13-2012, 10:25 AM
As I read up on turf diseases, 'fertility' is usually a big deal, too much or too little.

What I'd like to know is: Why do Pathogenic Fungi thrive in a lawn as opposed to Beneficial Fungi? The Fungi are all living in the lawn right now, but what can one do to promote the activity of the Beneficials , thus out-competing the Pathos?

I've been thinking along the lines of dry molasses, but don't know for sure that under the right conditions that the pathogens wouldn't just thrive on that as well... Does the guy discuss anything along those lines?

agrostis
01-14-2012, 10:04 PM
As I read up on turf diseases, 'fertility' is usually a big deal, too much or too little.

What I'd like to know is: Why do Pathogenic Fungi thrive in a lawn as opposed to Beneficial Fungi? The Fungi are all living in the lawn right now, but what can one do to promote the activity of the Beneficials , thus out-competing the Pathos?

I've been thinking along the lines of dry molasses, but don't know for sure that under the right conditions that the pathogens wouldn't just thrive on that as well... Does the guy discuss anything along those lines?

According to Dr. Buckley - Pathogenic and beneficial fungi live symbiotically. They need each other to exist. That is why they are both present. When proper condition's exist then beneficial fungi can do their job and the plants grow normally. You see pathogenic fungi expression more often because ideal condition's don't exist 99% of the time. For the beneficial's to out compete other organism's then they would need the right condition's. And that is just not going to happen in most case's. So, the pathogenic fungi thrive's, and so does the plant protection industry. I think your right, the molasses will feed the good and the bad fungi equally. I wish Buckley would put his opinion in on this forum, he has a lot of good thing's to say.