PDA

View Full Version : new planting beds

wkbrafford
01-12-2012, 07:18 PM
I have a customer who wants me to make her new planting beds on the side of her property where there are existing grass and weeds in that area. I was going to rent a sod cutter and cut down 2 inches to get all the grass and roots and bring in topsoil and conditioner for the soil and till it up real good. Should i just till it all up and spray some preen down and prepare it for the spring? Any ideas or questions are welcome.

Dr.NewEarth
01-12-2012, 08:54 PM
You really don't need to spray chemicals all the time. What if the clients cat digs in the soil?

I personally would dig the bed and when you go to plant it in the spring, take ten minutes and pull out the weeds and grass that may pop up.

wkbrafford
01-13-2012, 11:20 AM
So should I just take the sod cutter condition and topsoil and don't worry About the preen any help would be appreciated!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

agrostis
01-13-2012, 10:13 PM
You don't want pre-emerge in a new bed. Hand weed it, it will not take much effort. Raised bed's are the way to go. If you can get to 12-18" high you will be doing good. Make sure you bust up the ground under the bed's so they will drain.

CrownScapes
01-14-2012, 12:00 AM
Yes use sod cutter if beds are big, don't spray anything no need for that.

Depending on style of house, meaning brick etc would make me decide if a raised bed or not.

Smallaxe
01-14-2012, 10:45 AM
If there is no hurry, it is good to RU the bed... when everything is dried, crispy dead including the roots then you can just mix all the Organic material into the tilling depth for better drainage, water retention and soil structure as it decays into compost food...

No cutting , no hauling and becomes inert when in contact with the soil... The bad thing about RU is the surfactant, not the gly. itself...

tyler_mott85
01-14-2012, 08:32 PM
I'm assuming just because I haven't heard the contrary the beds will be prepared at the existing level of the soil. Only thing I would suggest is not to bring in topsoil. If the customer is using the area simply for additional ornamental landscaping you can just add soil amendments while planting. If she's using the area as a vegetable garden then you can til in amendments in the area. No need for new topsoil. You're only removing 2 inches with the sodcutter, the mulch or rock you bring in will bring it up to where it needs to be. 2 inches is not going to remove all of the root system for the grass and weeds it will simply remove the surface vegetation and you will have to fight the plant growing back, although not as thick as before. So after you remove the sod to take care of the "visible" part of the grass you need to do something to take care of the below the surface roots. Using either Chemical (roundup, preen), Mechanical (tilling, removing of roots) or Environmental (weed fabric) you need to do something about that.