PDA

View Full Version : this sucks, hdd crash

Frontier-Lawn
01-12-2012, 10:04 PM
well my hdd crashed and now 3+ years of client info and updated company forms gone. shoulda woulda coulda had a backup network hdd!

grass-scapes
01-14-2012, 10:05 AM
Godaddy has 100 Gb of storage, online that you can access from anywhere or share with an accountant or such for less than 25 bucks a year. I went digital a couple of years ago with most of my paperwork (I use paperport Pro), and had a hard drive crash. Luckily, I spread most of my stuff over different drives. I didn't lose too much important stuff. I also use an external drive with two hard drives in it set up as a raid array. The drives have exactly the same info on them at all times. If one drive fails, the other is still there.
Redundancy is the key if you are digital.

I have recently expanded my use of digital documents. I have upgraded my scanner to the xerox scanner that will scan both sides of the document at the same time. I can scan 50 pages, BOTH SIDES, in about 2 minutes. Anything older than 2 years goes digital, including statements and receipts. I haven't completely let go yet, as I still have hard copies filed away of contracts and statements. Once digital and in paperport, the documents become searchable PDF files.

Darryl G
01-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Might not be gone...if the data means a lot to you send the drive off to a company that does data recovery...might not be cheap but can usually be done.

KrayzKajun
01-14-2012, 12:13 PM
Might not be gone...if the data means a lot to you send the drive off to a company that does data recovery...might not be cheap but can usually be done.

Exactly. Will prolly cost $500+ but tht info is priceless. I've had it happen. Now I have 3 backup external harddrives.
Posted via Mobile Device

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
01-14-2012, 12:34 PM

Been there, done that, it cost me $100 from a local guy to recover my data, I now have 2 thumb drives with all my backup info so it doesn't happen again....

JB1
01-14-2012, 12:39 PM
thats kind of one of the reasons I'm looking at an online version of my accounting program.

Darryl G
01-14-2012, 12:45 PM
I've had it happen too, but it was for the family computer, not the business one. I only had them recovery the family photo album and my kid's music.

I have a portable USB backup drive now. I back up Quickbooks almost every time I use it...just takes a minute or 2... and I have backups of my letters, forms and pictures too.

If you send the disk out for recovery, give them a list of the most important directories you had info in to keep cost down.

Frontier-Lawn
01-14-2012, 01:58 PM
I've had it happen too, but it was for the family computer, not the business one. I only had them recovery the family photo album and my kid's music.

I have a portable USB backup drive now. I back up Quickbooks almost every time I use it...just takes a minute or 2... and I have backups of my letters, forms and pictures too.

If you send the disk out for recovery, give them a list of the most important directories you had info in to keep cost down.

well i may not worry about my 30+ gigs of mp3s. sucks that the gopher db is intergrated into gopher

Frontier-Lawn
01-14-2012, 02:04 PM
i was thinking of also a cloud based type service for axess anywere