PDA

View Full Version : Stihl BG85 just stopped working Help

bullofthenorthwood
01-13-2012, 12:14 AM
:wall The little bugger was running perfect. I was blowing leaves tonight and it just stopped like it ran out of gas. The fuel is fresh, premium, pure gas, no ethanol. I am using a semi synthetic oil. I do not know where to start. I tried a hour ago to restart it after letting it set a couple hours no luck. It started 3rd pull when I started using it today. I was thinking of pulling the fuel filter up from inside the tank as a starting point. I could use some help troubleshooting.

Rick

GravelyGuy
01-13-2012, 12:15 AM
Is the spark arrestor in the muffler clogged? Mine clogged quickly on mine.
Posted via Mobile Device

bullofthenorthwood
01-13-2012, 12:22 AM
What is the best way to get to the arrestor. I am looking at it but only from eyeballing from the outside of the guard i without trying to get in to it. How do I get into and remove it?

bullofthenorthwood
01-13-2012, 12:35 AM
What is the best way to get to the arrestor. I am looking at it but only from eyeballing from the outside of the guard i without trying to get in to it. How do I get into and remove it?

GravelyGuy
01-13-2012, 12:38 AM
On my stihl handheld blower the muffler has a little piece that is threaded in right where the exhaust exits. You should be able to unscrew it and clean it with a torch/lighter or just remove it all together. Most people just take them out.
Posted via Mobile Device

bullofthenorthwood
01-13-2012, 03:09 AM
I appreciate the help neighbor. Blessings to you and your yard business

Rick

bullofthenorthwood
01-13-2012, 06:24 PM
I have looked at everything minus taking out the sparkblug and drying it. I noticed gas was coming down a covering the muffler. It still will not start today. It seemed to try but simply wouldnt stay running both chocked, not chocked, throtlle set, not set. I cant get a plug wrench to turn when I get it hooked up. The space is so tight once on there the handle does not leave room to unscrew plug.

bullofthenorthwood
01-15-2012, 01:25 AM
I still have had no luck in starting my BG85. Up to this point I have taken the spark plug out and replaced it. While the plug was out I cranked the blower several times. Checked muffler etc. I installed the plug back and it tried to start but would not keep running. I noticed when I was cranking it that small bits of gas were coming out of and wetting the end of the muffler. What is causing this and what do I do now? This blower was running perfect.:cry:

thorne_matthew
01-15-2012, 03:15 AM
BG85

I couldnt tell if you had checked for a spark on the plug. Try that?

bullofthenorthwood
01-15-2012, 08:29 AM
Good spark and with plug out. When I put this new plug in it did just start and then just stalled out several times.

appalachianoutdoors
01-15-2012, 11:11 PM
Good spark and with plug out. When I put this new plug in it did just start and then just stalled out several times.

Kinda makes you wonder if a piece of trash got into a jet in the carb. Luckily, you can buy a whole new carb relatively cheap, almost as cheap as repairing the old one. It sounds like you have already tried all of the other quick checks. Good luck. I have two of the BG85 and like them. :usflag:

GravelyGuy
01-16-2012, 01:52 AM
You may as well try to clean the carb before you scrap it. If you've never done it, it could be tricky. You will need an air compressor and some carb cleaner. I've never had to rebuild a stihl carb.
Posted via Mobile Device

bullofthenorthwood
01-16-2012, 02:31 AM
Thanks for all the help. I am going to take it by and have it looked at. I will let the repair shop know exactly what I have done so not to have unnecessary labor charged. This was the best hand held blower I have ever pulled the trigger on. I plan to keep it and bring it back to life. I bought if from an old gentleman who did not use it that much. When I got it I started really blowing hard with it. It was made in 2007. It looks almost new. This may be all it needs to give me a few more years.

Rick

RAlmaroad
01-16-2012, 04:30 AM
Thanks for all the help. I am going to take it by and have it looked at. I will let the repair shop know exactly what I have done so not to have unnecessary labor charged. This was the best hand held blower I have ever pulled the trigger on. I plan to keep it and bring it back to life. I bought if from an old gentleman who did not use it that much. When I got it I started really blowing hard with it. It was made in 2007. It looks almost new. This may be all it needs to give me a few more years.

Rick

Rick:
Check your choke lever. Is it functioning correctly. Some of those have a weak pushon washer that gets loose and prevents the choke from being closed creating a flood situation. Does it start when cold? Could be a melted fuel line. Up here in Kingsport the use of gas with ethenol has boomed the repair business. Seems like the fuel lines just melt causing no fuel to be drawn into carb. But after reading your post again, check the choke. Those parts are less than $3 and you can fix it yourself.
I'm up in Kingsport. Check your profile location.
Roy

bullofthenorthwood
01-16-2012, 04:56 AM
Roy, you are close. good to know I have a neighbor. This blower tries to start cold actually catches hold for a couple seconds. Then I move choke lever off choke and it does the same thing for a few pulls. It then will do nothing, but the fuel smell is strong. The bottom and end of muffler is wet with fuel. I do not know if the choke is working or not. How do I check the fuel lines as well. You know when I got this blower a month ago I was amazed at the quick starting 2nd pull starts etc. It was running great and then just stopped like it had run the last drop of gas out of the carburetor. Tell me how to dig in to these things and I will do it.

Thanks Roy,

Rick
865-973-0190

RAlmaroad
01-16-2012, 10:14 AM
Roy, you are close. good to know I have a neighbor. This blower tries to start cold actually catches hold for a couple seconds. Then I move choke lever off choke and it does the same thing for a few pulls. It then will do nothing, but the fuel smell is strong. The bottom and end of muffler is wet with fuel. I do not know if the choke is working or not. How do I check the fuel lines as well. You know when I got this blower a month ago I was amazed at the quick starting 2nd pull starts etc. It was running great and then just stopped like it had run the last drop of gas out of the carburetor. Tell me how to dig in to these things and I will do it.

Thanks Roy,

Rick
865-973-0190

Rick:
Stihl and I are enemies now. I bought a MS211 Chainsaw two years ago and a hole burned in the piston. Shihl wanted me to take it to Stihl Shop (I did) and they wanted me to pay them $75/hr to dig into it and find the reason. Well you and I know that's gonna take 3/4 hours... I bought and Echo 400--better saw.
On your BG85: Remove housing and check what lines you can. You can order them. It's not hard--just take your time and snap a photo for reference.
It's Knoxville...
Roy

bullofthenorthwood
01-18-2012, 04:52 PM
I have the latest on my BG85. The carburetor had to be rebuilt. The diaphram was bad. I also had to replace the coil. It is a 2 stage coil. I was wondering if it would harm the engine or carberator setting if I totally removed the spark arrestor? Would it even make a difference in power? :cool2:

Thanks,

Rick

appalachianoutdoors
01-18-2012, 05:05 PM
I have the latest on my BG85. The carburetor had to be rebuilt. The diaphram was bad. I also had to replace the coil. It is a 2 stage coil. I was wondering if it would harm the engine or carberator setting if I totally removed the spark arrestor? Would it even make a difference in power? :cool2:

Thanks,

Rick
Glad you were able to get it fixed. I thought it sounds like a carb problem. I replaced one on a BG85 also and an 025 chain saw.
Posted via Mobile Device

GravelyGuy
01-18-2012, 05:19 PM

Thanks,

Rick

It doesn't hurt a thing to remove them.

Valk
01-18-2012, 06:02 PM
I was wondering if it would harm the engine or carberator setting if I totally removed the spark arrestor? Would it even make a difference in power? :cool2:

Thanks,

Rick

It sure as heck won't get clogged if you remove 'it'. I would suspect that any backpressure 'it' was causing would also be gone. :D

bullofthenorthwood
01-18-2012, 11:00 PM
Well, why not? It may increase the strength. :weightlifter:

bullofthenorthwood
02-19-2012, 12:07 AM
Hey everyone. It turned out to be a defective coil..