PDA

View Full Version : Calsense and MP Rotary Nozzles

LawnMastersTx
01-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Its been a while since I have had time to get back on the site. Just finished the largest project that I have ever been apart of.

102 Calsense Controllers (Retrofit)
104 Flow sensors and master valves
18,000 MP Rotary Nozzles (Retrofit)
112 zone system (New)

I do not have permission, yet, to say the location of this project.

Bragging over with, here are some pics :dancing:

Calsense has been easy to learn and work with using their controllers and central system. We have 3 rain buckets and 2 ET sensors around the location. The rain buckets and ET's are linked to the controllers that surround the system. All of the controllers use flow sensors and master valves.

I could come in the morning and look at a GIS map of the campus, it will change the controller icons to another color based on problems that occurred over the night. Then I could print out this alert and go find and fix the problem. I drooled all over the keyboard.......

I am glad I was apart of this project, and I can not wait to be able to share all the photos and details. Nothing beats putting in water saving measures during the worst drought in Texas.

Wet_Boots
01-13-2012, 05:08 PM
City water?

LawnMastersTx
01-13-2012, 06:15 PM
City water as of right now. Their goal is to go to reclaimed water, but the city requirement makes using that cost ineffective.

Reclaimed water - all pipes, and i mean ALL lines that cross fresh water lines have to be in a sleeve 10ft on either side of the connection. All hose bibs on the build have to have RPZ. A test has to be done one month before connection and then 4 test with dye to ensure no cross contamination after installation.

FIMCO-MEISTER
01-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Where is the one with the row of rectangular valve boxes? I thought that was a cool shot. Also show the pic of what controller got replaced and what did you think of the CALSENSE remote?

LawnMastersTx
01-13-2012, 08:09 PM
We pulled out Rain Birds, Hunter and Rain Master. Mostly Rain Bird though, but a few nice Rain Masters.

The remotes were ok......... Now they are nice seeing the information like flow rate, amps, and a description of the zone, but i was not impressed with the limited distance of them.

Instead of the remote, I like the Ipad :weightlifter: You may not be able to directly link into a controller with an ipad, but you can gain control of the computer that monitors the controllers and make changes there.

Wet_Boots
01-13-2012, 08:23 PM
that's enough boxes for 4,000 zones :p

Mike Leary
01-13-2012, 09:06 PM
Veery nice! So the Calsense remote does not have the range?

DanaMac
01-13-2012, 09:09 PM
WTF? Who buried those things? Was that before you showed up? VBs should be at a level that they can be mowed directly over.

Mike Leary
01-13-2012, 09:16 PM
WTF? Who buried those things? Was that before you showed up? VBs should be at a level that they can be mowed directly over.

Maybe the install guy's brother was the string trimmer maintenance man.

LawnMastersTx
01-13-2012, 09:58 PM
Veery nice! So the Calsense remote does not have the range?

If you do not have anything between you and the controller, it will go for a ways. If there is a building, then it can be a pain. You can add a whip antenna and that will help a lot.

We didnt install the tombstone area, but it was a cool pic. I could not pass it up. I have another one of a pit with 32 valves installed that are hanging in the air.

Some crazy stuff, but I am impressed with Calsense and the reports/control that can be had over the system.

Kiril
01-13-2012, 10:09 PM
Nice to see someone who understands the value of collecting data on site. :clapping:

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
01-13-2012, 11:29 PM
Nice to see someone who understands the value of collecting data on site. :clapping:

It would be nice if you understood that even though it is preferable, it isn't always feasible to collect data on site.....

Kiril
01-13-2012, 11:39 PM
It would be nice if you understood that even though it is preferable, it isn't always feasible to collect data on site.....

I understand perfectly well Dan .... however do you understand how one might cost effectively collect on-site data instead of relying on "close enough" solutions?

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
01-13-2012, 11:41 PM
I understand perfectly well Dan .... however do you understand how one might cost effectively collect on-site data instead of relying on "close enough" solutions?

I do.... but I just like to give you a hard time :dancing:

Kiril
01-13-2012, 11:46 PM
I do.... but I just like to give you a hard time :dancing:

And then you complain when people act negatively on this forum. :clapping:

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
01-14-2012, 12:21 AM
And then you complain when people act negatively on this forum. :clapping:

Not lately.... I find that by spending a lot less time here it makes it more enjoyable when I do!

Mike Leary
01-15-2012, 12:36 PM
One of the few regrets I have about the biz, is I never got a chance to install a Calsense clock with their uber-cool remote. Hmm, maybe I should print some doorknob hangers when I get back north. :rolleyes:

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
01-15-2012, 01:30 PM
I had never seen a Calsense up close and personal...... There is a guy on eBay right now with about a dozen of them for sale. I picked one up for a couple of hundred dollars. They are a nice piece of hardware for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device

FIMCO-MEISTER
01-15-2012, 01:53 PM
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=calsense&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Interesting. Where do you suppose they came from? You think WEATHERTRAK talked some property manager into yanking all his Calsenses for Weathertraks?

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
01-15-2012, 02:09 PM
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=calsense&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Interesting. Where do you suppose they came from? You think WEATHERTRAK talked some property manager into yanking all his Calsenses for Weathertraks?

That is exactly what happened...... Another guy has what appears the bulk of an entire Maxi-Com system up on eBay right now too.....
Posted via Mobile Device

FIMCO-MEISTER
01-15-2012, 03:38 PM
I wish the property owner taken to the cleaners by Weathertrak could be located and informed that his perfectly good controllers are being sold on EBay.
Posted via Mobile Device

LawnMastersTx
01-15-2012, 07:35 PM
Here are some of the data sheets. These are only a fraction of what you can get off the system.

Another reason why I loved the system is the ease of adjusting all controllers at one location. With the system I could add or take away, say 10 minutes from either turf sprays, turf rotors, bubblers, beds, ect on all controllers (102) in 30 seconds. I don't know how long it would take to visit all 102 controllers and do this manually.

If you see a bunch of Rain Masters and Rain Birds popping up on ebay, well I may know where they just came from :drinkup:

muddywater
01-16-2012, 10:16 PM

Damn that is cheap. I bid on a job one time with a calsense controller w all the goodies and just material cost on controller was 12k.
Posted via Mobile Device