PDA

View Full Version : wells cargo trailers

teamgreendude
01-13-2012, 05:56 PM
Hey guys I just wanted some opinions about wells cargo trailers, I currently have a 6x10 enclosed and I'm sick of hitting my head on it every time i run my standers up the ramp. I called a dealer in Kansas and a 7x20 landscaper model goes for $11,330 without racks or anything else. Whats your opinion on them? if I'm going to spend $11,000 on a trailer I want it to last.

Turf Management
01-13-2012, 07:49 PM
Hey guys I just wanted some opinions about wells cargo trailers, I currently have a 6x10 enclosed and I'm sick of hitting my head on it every time i run my standers up the ramp. I called a dealer in Kansas and a 7x20 landscaper model goes for $11,330 without racks or anything else. Whats your opinion on them? if I'm going to spend $11,000 on a trailer I want it to last.

$11k? Yikes. I was looking at their trailers and just had their literature arrive a couple days ago. That price seems steep though, granted I've never looked at a trailer of that size.

I picked up a nice 7x16 enclosed (brand new) for $4,500 a few years back. It was well built too. $11,000 for something slightly larger seems too much for me.

teamgreendude
01-13-2012, 11:09 PM
$11k? Yikes. I was looking at their trailers and just had their literature arrive a couple days ago. That price seems steep though, granted I've never looked at a trailer of that size.

I picked up a nice 7x16 enclosed (brand new) for $4,500 a few years back. It was well built too. $11,000 for something slightly larger seems too much for me.

I actually thought i had misheard the salesmen, when he told me the price i almost had a heart attack. I honestly think if I'm going to buy one this year it better last me for the next 20 years! Even as i add more trailers/equipment.

DuallyVette
01-13-2012, 11:38 PM
Mostmanufacturers have different grades of trailers: economy, quality, etc. $11,00 is high, unless the trailer has an aluminum frame. Here's a link to a place close to me. They have a 8.5 x 20 fo $5100, and a 8.5 x 22 for $8200. My trailers are 8.5 wide. I wouldn't want a trailer any narrower.

A supplier of parts recommended Horton as the best builder. They too have some low priced economy models. I wouldn't want one with walls made out of "hat bar" . Mine are made with square tubing, and not the thin stuff.
www.trttrailersales.com/

Jason Rose
01-14-2012, 10:52 AM
For a "stock" trailer I'd say that price was high! Unless it was all aluminium?

I priced 8.5'x20' trailers last winter, from 4 different suppliers, and to get one with all the options I wanted (6" extra height, heavier wood on the walls and floor, 2nd walk in door on the drivers side, vents, 5200 lb. axles, and some other stuff I'm forgetting) it was around $10,000, but that was not a "stock" trailer by any means. I priced several of the name brands, Wells cargo, haulmark, and something else...

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-14-2012, 11:23 AM
So guys, you would avoid the entry level lines like Wells Cargo's Fast Trac line?

DuallyVette
01-16-2012, 09:11 AM
I would not want a "base" trailer. I have a 20 x 8.5 gooseneck & a 20' tag along. I had mine custom built by a fellow that is out of business. He also built "stacker" trailers, and "Lounge toters". Most of the trailers on the market, are built with "hat bar" which makes it easy for them to throw together. Featherlite, all aluminum models, are expensive, and made with "hat bar" walls....but it must be alright. They have a good reputation. Mine are square tubing, one gauge upsized. I think the trailers with .027, or .030 skin look like wavy, cheap, aluminum foil. Mine are .045 & I'm reskinning a 14 year old trailer with .060. The 1st enclosed trailer that I bought in 1989 had 2 3500lb axles....nothing but trouble. I have 7000lb axles on mine with 235 x 16 tires. a much stronger, longer lasting tire than anything that you can buy in a 14 or 15 inch tire.

Oakleaf landscape
01-19-2012, 11:48 PM
Wells Cargo is far from an entry level trailer. They make one of the most dependable and tough enclosed trailers in the business. When it comes to enclosed trailers you really do get what you pay for. Something a little more in your range is probably haulmark. They make a good solid trailer but it's not a Wells. I believe Brickman runs all Wells Cargo enclosed trailers.

Wiljockey
02-25-2012, 01:30 PM
Brickman does run Wells Cargo.

TheChiefsLawnCare
02-25-2012, 10:25 PM
Yeah, I double oakleaf. When i purchased my trailer, I called and got wells cargo prices and it was like 3-4 grand more than what I paid. and i questioned the guy about the price and he was like yeah its a wells cargo. but yeah i have been told wells cargo will last you at least 10 years. like they say, you get what you pay for. if you dont get a wells, check the business out because alot of them have just popped up and they offer a warranty longer than they have been in business, lol.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Ya, but would you buy the Fast Trac line which is Wells Cargo's economy line?

camptonbuilder
11-29-2012, 04:02 PM
If you're someone that sells/trades for a new trailer every 2-4 yrs.. then get what you want.. Wells has a name, and that's it. If you're getting a trailer for the long term, then get an all aluminium construction, seamless walk on roof and call it a day. I got a 8x20 W. C. Express Wagon in 2006. Had it custom built with service panel and full insulation and a bunch of other options. It sat on job sites most of it's life. Very little trailering time. It served kind of like a storage space/office on new home sites. It has sat in my yard for the past 3 years. Decided this fall to convert it into a toy hauler, rear for sleds and front for sleeping. So just recently took down one of the roof and one of the wall plywood 4x8 sheets to see how things were underneath.. HA.. What a joke. Few pieces of insulation.. Not what I would call insulated. I paid big money to have them insulate the walls/roof and under the floor.. Now 6 years later.. I'm not too happy. So to make this thing right, I have to pay a second time to insulate it myself. I'm also starting to see daylight in two of the four roof corners.. So I have to look into fixing that too.(again, very little road time). There are much better trailers out there for the money.. Shop, shop, shop.. Good luck.

Camptonbuilder

camptonbuilder
11-29-2012, 09:42 PM
See if a Legend dealer is in your area... If so, compare them to your Wells deal.. Me think you'll be surprised.. If you do go the Aluminium route.. go all aluminium.. not combo steel/aluminium.(corrosion)