PDA

View Full Version : kohler regulator tester

BILLSMOWERS
01-14-2012, 03:03 AM
hi just got a kohler regulator tester from a workshop that has closed down do any of you have a set of instructions you can email me please as the instructions i have i can not read very poor photo copy i can not read the set up for the testing the briggs regulators also do any of you have a chart of all the pin outs of the different regulators used in small engine by the different manufactures

bill

rowland26760@btinternet.com

piston slapper
01-14-2012, 06:15 AM
The Kohler tester will not come with instructions on checking Briggs components.
If you have a thorough understanding of charging systems, you may be able to use it on other regulators.
Post a pic of what you have.
Posted via Mobile Device

BILLSMOWERS
01-14-2012, 06:48 AM
The Kohler tester will not come with instructions on checking Briggs components.
If you have a thorough understanding of charging systems, you may be able to use it on other regulators.
Post a pic of what you have.
Posted via Mobile Device

hi there is details of briggs regulators but as it is a bad copy you can not work out which wire connects to what ie ac wires, dc wire, ground wire also there is a bridge wire to connect 2 terminals together on some regulators as some regulators only have 2 connectors where i used to work we had a chart with the pin outs of all the regulators so we could check any regulator /rectifier also some regulators only have 2 terminals so you bridge 1 ac +dc wires on the tester together and connect to the dc output then the other ac wire go's to the ac terminal and the ground to the case

bill

piston slapper
01-14-2012, 07:14 AM
How old is this thing?
A pic would help.
Posted via Mobile Device

BILLSMOWERS
01-14-2012, 07:34 AM
How old is this thing?
A pic would help.
Posted via Mobile Device

ok here are some photos as you can see it has four leads.the 2 black leads with spade connectors are the ac in from the charge coil, red lead is dc out from the regulator other black lead with crock clip is ground the small leads are the adaptors one has a diode in it for testing one is a lead to dubble connect to one terminal and one is a piggy back lead hope this will help to explain by the way you can still get this unit from kohler

piston slapper
01-14-2012, 07:56 AM
Looks like the one I have.
Don't remember the part about checking other mfr's regulators.
If someone else doesn't post the instructions sooner, I'll post them on Monday.
My tester is at work.
Posted via Mobile Device

BILLSMOWERS
01-14-2012, 07:58 AM
Looks like the one I have.
Don't remember the part about checking other mfr's regulators.
If someone else doesn't post the instructions sooner, I'll post them on Monday.
My tester is at work.
Posted via Mobile Device
thank you very much
the one i have came from dti part number 70148 ( they make this for kohler they also make the tiny tach ) this is what is on the invoice that came with it
kind regards
bill

BILLSMOWERS
01-14-2012, 08:14 AM
thank you very much
the one i have came from dti part number 70148 ( they make this for kohler they also make the tiny tach ) this is what is on the invoice that came with it
kind regards
billhttp://tinytach.com/design/tools.php

scroll down and you will see it should test most makes of regulator

bill

MrOPEguy
01-14-2012, 08:21 AM
here is a .pdf exert from the Kohler manual. It covers various amperage systems. This will be useful on most Kohler charging systems.

BILLSMOWERS
01-14-2012, 08:24 AM
here is a .pdf exert from the Kohler manual. It covers various amperage systems. This will be useful on most Kohler charging systems.

thank you very much for your help

bill

pugs
01-14-2012, 12:38 PM
DTI can also make a change to it so it can test Honda regulators too. I know we had that done on ours at some point. May want to see if they can tell you whether or not it has been done to the one you have. Not sure if there are serial numbers on them or if they have anyway of checking.

I will see if I have anything about testing Briggs ones with it. I forget whats all in the box.

BILLSMOWERS
01-14-2012, 12:48 PM
dti can also make a change to it so it can test honda regulators too. I know we had that done on ours at some point. May want to see if they can tell you whether or not it has been done to the one you have. Not sure if there are serial numbers on them or if they have anyway of checking.

I will see if i have anything about testing briggs ones with it. I forget whats all in the box.

any make of regulator should work on it if i can find the pinout for that regulator the one that is getting me is the TECUMSEH with 2 plugs as you have to use a bridge wire i have been told but which wires do you bridge? I have just tested a regulator off a honda hf2213 this tested fine

regards
bill

BILLSMOWERS
01-15-2012, 04:47 AM
thank you to every one for there help i now have a copy of the manual and the info i needed

bill

pugs
01-16-2012, 02:37 PM
It wont work PROPERLY on the Honda/(and I believe Kawasaki uses them) 6 wire ones unless you have the modification done by the MFR(DTI).

BILLSMOWERS
01-16-2012, 03:53 PM
It wont work PROPERLY on the Honda/(and I believe Kawasaki uses them) 6 wire ones unless you have the modification done by the MFR(DTI).
it was supplied by dti so i think it may have been done when supplied as the dti website states it will work on honda, tecumseh b/s etc

RECTIFIER/REGULATOR TESTER
Product Overview

• AC powered tests
• Kolher, B&S, Tecumseh, Yamaha, Honda and others

Part Number Name Price
DTI-70148 Rectifier/Regulator Tester $135.00

BILLSMOWERS
01-17-2012, 06:31 AM
data for b&s and tecumseh regulators to test using the kohler regulator tester

BILLSMOWERS
01-17-2012, 08:48 AM
data for b&s and tecumseh regulators to test using the kohler regulator tester

just got a email from DTI

Bill,

The Honda/ Kawasaki is the same as the Yamaha that Kohler has

in their instructions, the rectifier Manufacturer is the same.

Thank You

Steve DTI

VegetiveSteam
02-01-2012, 03:18 PM
My 2 cents. Unless you're checking regulators off the engine a regulator tester is not a priority. That being said never pass up a good deal on something you can use. They are a great tool to have if you have a parts counter where people are bringing parts in to you but if you have the regulator on the engine I see no need for one. Again this is my opinion and I realize I'm not really answering the question asked. If you have an engine with a non working charging system you're going to want to check it all out anyway. If you have battery voltage getting to B+ terminal of the regulator and your A/C output at the stator is what it should be that only leaves one thing. The regulator. Now, regulators need to be grounded to work. Make sure your regulator is grounded. If it is and you have good A/C coming out of your stator, you have battery voltage to your B+ terminal at the regulator you have now eliminated everything except the regulator. Replace the regulator. I haven't actually proved the regulator is bad but I have proved everything else good.

pugs
02-01-2012, 03:53 PM
My 2 cents. Unless you're checking regulators off the engine a regulator tester is not a priority. That being said never pass up a good deal on something you can use. They are a great tool to have if you have a parts counter where people are bringing parts in to you but if you have the regulator on the engine I see no need for one. Again this is my opinion and I realize I'm not really answering the question asked. If you have an engine with a non working charging system you're going to want to check it all out anyway. If you have battery voltage getting to B+ terminal of the regulator and your A/C output at the stator is what it should be that only leaves one thing. The regulator. Now, regulators need to be grounded to work. Make sure your regulator is grounded. If it is and you have good A/C coming out of your stator, you have battery voltage to your B+ terminal at the regulator you have now eliminated everything except the regulator. Replace the regulator. I haven't actually proved the regulator is bad but I have proved everything else good.

Yah, I bust it out when a customer brings one in...although even when it says the regulator is good, I still have people buy a regulator from me.

I check them once in a while if I have a machine acting strange just for piece of mind. Most often the problem I see at least with the Kawasaki's is that the link between the battery positive and the regulator is messed up in the equipment harness somewhere. I have only replaced a couple bad regulators on Kawasakis. I have sold far more over the counter than I have replaced in the shop even after I tell people I dont have much trouble with the regulators.