PDA

View Full Version : Old nursery pots/containers

Keith
01-15-2012, 01:32 AM
You guys that landscape too, what do you do with your used containers? I used to give them to local growers that hooked me up with some plant deals here and there, but it doesn't seem like they are really interested in them anymore. Are large quantities worth putting up on Craigslist?
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
01-15-2012, 10:10 AM
I usually just bring them back with the trays. I've kept a couple of hundred 4" & 6"to start my Caladium for Spring planting.

http://caladiumworld.com/

(not affiliated)

JB1
01-15-2012, 10:42 AM
i usually take mine to the local high school and give the to the ag department to use in there greenhouse.

Ric
01-15-2012, 11:15 AM

I know a Plant Broker who makes a nice add on by Back Hauling Containers. He buys them for a Nickle and haul them to a grower who is super happy to pay a dime for good used containers. Dirt and containers are the biggest expense to a grower and holding costs down in a volume operation makes a huge difference on the bottom line.

stickleylawncare
01-15-2012, 11:21 AM
We dont go through thousands or anything, but weve got several neighbors and customers that do a lot of home gardening and we just always check with them, other wise I give em back to the local Ace Hardware.

integrityman
01-15-2012, 11:27 AM
I keep them in one spot and then take em back to the wholesale nursery. Sometimes I have to cut the pots open if the tree/ shrub is rootbound. If thats the case...... I burn it or take to the recyclers if its hdpe or pete plastic.

Keith
01-15-2012, 12:32 PM
I've probably got 1500-2000 1-3 gallons that have accumulated since I last moved them out. I'd like to move the whole bunch out rather than selling a hundred to this guy or a dozen to that guy. I've got bigger ones, but I keep those.

jvanvliet
01-15-2012, 12:53 PM
I've probably got 1500-2000 1-3 gallons that have accumulated since I last moved them out. I'd like to move the whole bunch out rather than selling a hundred to this guy or a dozen to that guy. I've got bigger ones, but I keep those.

If you got land, you could start your own nursery; 1 - 3 gln is a a nice size. Most of the stuff we put in the ground are in 1 or 3 gallon pots. We like to start our annuals in 4" & move them to 6", let them settle a while before we plant them.

We've got a 1/3 acre back yard that's perfect for a small nursery. My wife has started coconuts, queens, date, fox tails, Christmas palms, arboragola, coco-plum, etc. in left over pots. It's just a hobby for my wife who gets a big kick out of birthing these things and watching them till we move them to 3 gallons and give them away.

Keith
01-15-2012, 03:39 PM
I actually did grow some things for a while. Mainly indian hawthorn, azaleas and some queen palms. After that I grew about 60 varieties of tomatoes. I just don't have time to do it, or really the space either.

Johnagain
01-15-2012, 03:55 PM

PM Tim Smith. He might be interested in them. He's located in Sanford. If you don't hear from him I will talk to him tomorrow.

GreenT
01-15-2012, 05:59 PM

Keith, there's got to be some wholesale nursery around you that will take them all. Replacing pots -specially #1s and #3s- is expensive for them.

Two of the three I use give me a 10 cent credit on each.

jvanvliet
01-15-2012, 06:20 PM
I actually did grow some things for a while. Mainly indian hawthorn, azaleas and some queen palms. After that I grew about 60 varieties of tomatoes. I just don't have time to do it, or really the space either.

I understand, I'm glad my wife has taken an interest in growing the stuff. Like I said, surplus I usually just take back. Our supplier has always been good to us in terms of discounting and quality, (more than I can say for the turf farm we used to order from) so getting a couple of bucks back is not all that important to me.

I like to start the impatients from the 18 plant trays & the caladium from bulb because I tend to get a more robust end product (important because we warranaty the product). There is enough additional margin in it to warrant the additional time and capital investment.

bamaturf
01-16-2012, 12:43 PM
i just took some to lowes for recycle, i dont buy many plants from lowes but they take the containers for recycle

Johnagain
01-16-2012, 11:55 PM
Keith,
Tim said he is interested in them. PM me and I'll relay the info.