PDA

View Full Version : Repair Leaky Hydro-Gear Pump BDP-10L-117P

ed2hess
01-15-2012, 09:24 PM
This pump is working but starting to leak tooo much. Can I buy af seal kit or a rebuild kit? I have a couple on line explosions showing all the parts but wouldn't know where to start. And I guess new o-rings for the lines connecting to the pump will be included? Are the kits pricey. Almost hate to open a unit that has worked for 10 years and still working.

djagusch
01-15-2012, 09:40 PM
A seal kit is less than $30 at Jthomas. I have not done one yet, was planning on tearing down a bad one I have on the shelf to learn first.

ed2hess
01-16-2012, 06:37 PM
A seal kit is less than $30 at Jthomas. I have not done one yet, was planning on tearing down a bad one I have on the shelf to learn first.

I must have bad eyesight what page is that on? I looked in 2012 P236 where they show the the 10L hydro but didn't see any set. On the next page they have a seal kit for the 21L series for $26? I think I will invest in the hydro gear repair manual. Getting the right o-rings for those lines is what bothers me.

djagusch
01-16-2012, 07:09 PM
On page 236 mid page orange print, right above the new pumps. Says something about all pumps use seal kit sk-40, but no price. My 2010 catolog had the 10L kit at $17.36.
Posted via Mobile Device

RickyDL77
01-17-2012, 07:27 AM
i have resealed 30+ in the past 2 years on our older wright standers. they are not that bad, its much much easier than the wheel motors. the biggest thing is cleanlyness, i suggest using a high quality lent free rag when cleaning oil deposits and whatnot. lent has been a major issue for me in the past, gets the check valves clogged pretty easily. the hydrogear pumps I am familiar with are the 10A, pretty simple settup. i will attach a trouble shooting guide for the 10A/21L HydroGear pumps so you can get a feel for it.

HenryB
01-17-2012, 10:51 AM
OK I'll tell you how to fix the leak w/out buying a kit. I've done about 8 of these on my Exmark TT's. It's most likely the main O ring where the two pieces of the pump (top and bottom meet). Remove top cover and run a thin bead of high temp gasket maker over the existing o ring; reassemble it before dry and the leak should be solved. New orings only last a couple of months. I tried that first. Be careful not to drip the gasket maker in the pump a very thin bead. I do mine by only removing the top cover and leave the pump on the machine. 1st remove charge pump (football shaped on top) then top cover. Charge pump has to be put back the same way it was removed so mark it off. Good luck.

T-Trim
01-17-2012, 08:14 PM
If you have ten years on the pump. I would break down the whole pump.

ed2hess
01-17-2012, 09:42 PM
i have resealed 30+ in the past 2 years on our older wright standers. they are not that bad, its much much easier than the wheel motors. the biggest thing is cleanlyness, i suggest using a high quality lent free rag when cleaning oil deposits and whatnot. lent has been a major issue for me in the past, gets the check valves clogged pretty easily. the hydrogear pumps I am familiar with are the 10A, pretty simple settup. i will attach a trouble shooting guide for the 10A/21L HydroGear pumps so you can get a feel for it.

Good stuff there Rick thanks......I have to be sure that it isn't all coming from that trunnion arm seal. It looks like that seal can be pressed on from the outside without taking the unit apart. There is oil under neath of the deck but it all might have come from on top so I got to get er washed down and then run in the field. I got to go down to the dealer and get a broken one to tear into first.

RickyDL77
01-18-2012, 07:16 AM
one thing i have run into in the past are the trunnion guide plates attached to the bottom inside of the lower unit sometimes tend to come loose if to agressive taking out the lower bearing. They recomend replacing the lower unit when that happens, but i just set the plate back into place and put back together on the last one and it has never had a problem, over a year now. i would not recommend it, only did it because our CC was maxed and could not buy a new pump at that time.

Ziob
04-25-2013, 08:52 AM
anyone have any input / directions on puting in the bottom shaft seal on the underside of the hydro gear bdp-10a-414 pump where the shaft comes out? did a seal kit on 2 of our pumps that were leaking no leaks anywhere now except the bottom seals drip slighly (didn't before but while i had it apart i did them all). Going to have to fix it soon maybe i did it wrong? put the seal into place first then tap the shaft through? put the shaft into place then slide the seal up?

any tips would be great pumps work good just gotta solve this latest issue

RickyDL77
04-25-2013, 09:08 AM
There should have been a washer/ring that goes between the new seal and the bearing. It likes to seal itself to the old seals, and is easily thrown away with the old seals. Without that spacer/washer it will fail sooner. The spacers do not come with the new seal kits.
Also be sure to clean all of the rubber out the space where the seal fits in, and that there are no scratches on the walls where the seal sits.

Ziob
04-25-2013, 10:55 AM
i'll have to check on that washer/ring between the seal and the bearing.....would i have to order that seperately? i wonder why its not in the seal kit i'm thinking maybe that fell out and theres just to much play now in the seal so its slowly seeping out?

RickyDL77
04-25-2013, 11:05 AM
i beleive its there to keep the seal from rubbing with the bearing.

Ziob
04-25-2013, 11:50 AM
thanks otherwise i either had the wrong seal or i just put them on to rough and damaged the lips enough to allow the small leak on both....i'm gonna throw two new seals in it this weekend, check for the spacer and do it carefully and hopefully all goes well.

RickyDL77
04-25-2013, 11:57 AM
no proplem.

BTW just noticed this was not your thread, you get better results by starting your own thread.

Sorry Ed for the hijack. lol

Ziob
04-25-2013, 05:06 PM
started one......didn't get alot of info my bad on the hijack as well just digging around hoping for a few pointers.