PDA

View Full Version : Can't believe winter is half done....

Florida Gardener
01-15-2012, 10:59 PM
Trust me I'm not rushing time by any means, I have been really enjoying this winter. BUT, I can't help but think nov, Dec, and half of Jan are in the books. We realistically have 6 more weeks of "cold" weather, and march which will be EOW for the whole month, then BAM-april. Anyone else getting scared lol?
Posted via Mobile Device

Lefet
01-15-2012, 11:14 PM
Nope, can't wait. Tired of twiddling my thumbs. Itching to cut some grass and play in the dirt. Started everything up I think yesterday........ loved the fumes!!!!!

Florida Gardener
01-15-2012, 11:23 PM
Nope, can't wait. Tired of twiddling my thumbs. Itching to cut some grass and play in the dirt. Started everything up I think yesterday........ loved the fumes!!!!!

Well, since you are in NJ, it isn't the same. We are still working down here, but the winter is our time to make $$. The summer's here are brutal and long.....

Lefet
01-15-2012, 11:26 PM
Totally understandable. We haven't even gotten any snow!

Florida's Suncoast Lawn Care
01-16-2012, 10:05 AM
I can't wait to get back into the thick of it. I miss running all over town and jumping out, talking to the home owners, mowing and such. I don't miss the burning sun for July and August but it's part of the game. If it were easy everyone would be doing it. Oh ya they are! LOL. Suckers.

Waking up and walking outside to the cool Florida winter morning reminds me of the winter days I mowed here. I even had to wear a jacket somedays to start. You mow maybe once a week with 10-12 and it's done for another week since it's the dry season. It's a different tune than getting up everyday in summer and mowing. But it's a cool feeling. What sucks is pulling up to a monthly account and it doesn't even need cut but they want it cut at least once a month or they feel they don't get their moneys worth. Funny thing is the ones that want by the cut mowing don't want to spend $25 on a cut and tell you to come back next month. Funny how that works.

:walking:

Ric
01-16-2012, 10:14 AM
Totally understandable. We haven't even gotten any snow!

Lefet

Your warm Winter has two different effects on Florida. First our gasoline prices have not spiked because of Fuel Oil Demand. Second we have less tourists trying to beat the Cold weather. Of course we still have more tourists than we like on the roads and in Buffet lines etc.

KrayzKajun
01-16-2012, 10:23 AM
I've still got yards being cut on an EOW schedule. The fun starts next week. The spring semester starts next Mon. Time management will be key for. Back to waking up at 5am & going to bed at midnight. Time to kick it into high gear!
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida's Suncoast Lawn Care
01-16-2012, 10:37 AM
I've still got yards being cut on an EOW schedule. The fun starts next week. The spring semester starts next Mon. Time management will be key for. Back to waking up at 5am & going to bed at midnight. Time to kick it into high gear!
Posted via Mobile Device

Wow how many accounts do you have? I'm shooting to get 50 again. I just started the service back up about 3 months ago. We just bought a house here and moved back from Indiana.

KrayzKajun
01-16-2012, 10:48 AM
I'm at around 25-30accnts. Goal for march is 65weekly accnts
Posted via Mobile Device

stickleylawncare
01-16-2012, 02:04 PM
Mowing would be a lot easier if there werent class schedules to worry about... but I always enjoy the winter time, makes the semester start off a lot nicer when I can devote more time to studying instead of mowing... and Quickbooking.

KrayzKajun
01-16-2012, 02:12 PM
I'm just glad all my classes are Horticulture/landscaping classes. What I learn in class can be put right to work in the field.
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
01-16-2012, 03:15 PM
I'm just glad all my classes are Horticulture/landscaping classes. What I learn in class can be put right to work in the field.
Posted via Mobile Device

:cool: ZYDECO! :cool:

Can you give me some links describing the classes you are taking? My #4 son has joined the business and he would like to take some college courses at night.

KrayzKajun
01-16-2012, 03:29 PM

Can you give me some links describing the classes you are taking? My #4 son has joined the business and he would like to take some college courses at night.

Check with your local communtiy college. Mine has a great Horticulture Program. They dropped the degree program, so I will have a Certificate of Technical studies in Horticulture. But I will prolly get a degree in business management with a concentration in Hort.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
01-16-2012, 03:38 PM

Jvanvliet - Here is one that Ric recommended to FL-Landscapes I believe and he and Ric both recommended to me. The course is simple enough but what I liked about it was it was a COMPLETE course offering both information on not only our warm season turfs but also cool season turf as well. Although I doubt I will be able to recall all the information if I was ever forced to go back up north I feel it would be easier to recall as it has already been introduced.

The course is self study and can be done at your own pace. They give you one year I believe to complete it and if you would need I know a extension is available but I am not sure for how long. That is a big plus because in my case spring happened upon me before I knew it and I did not get it done going into summer. I was fortune to be able to get it done in the late summer/early fall period by weekend reading.

The test can be completed by having them send the information to a approved testing facility. In my case I used one available locally for a very small fee. I know FL-Landscapes took his test by having them approving and sending the material too his local extension.

Here is the information. (http://www.georgiacenter.uga.edu/ppd/courses/turfgrass-management/principles-turfgrass-management)

stickleylawncare
01-16-2012, 09:38 PM
Once Im out of school, Id like to take a few horticulture classes on the side and I should probably get the "round up" license, tired of passing those on to big spray companies. So much less work than mowing.