PDA

View Full Version : how do i run a efficient business at age 14?

flynnlandscaping
01-16-2012, 11:22 AM
Hey guys im 14 and want to expand my lawn care company. Im currently taking courses at vocational school for commercial landscaping and horticulture. Ive been mowing since i was 8 and need to grow from a lawn tractor to a exmark WB and ive been working on upgrading the rest of my fleet to commercial equipment. If you are interested please check this video out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT7Oa3LdSJw&list=UUDxHCWK9hWqkAKro42W0QKQ&index=7&feature=plpp_video

I just want some professional advice to become bigger and better in the industry I would really appreciate any input!:)

zak406
01-16-2012, 11:36 AM
You don't, don't do what I did with my childhood go and enjoy it you only have it once!
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
01-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Best advice: Enjoy being a kid!!! You don't get tht time back. Go chase girls!
Posted via Mobile Device

flynnlandscaping
01-16-2012, 11:46 AM
hahahaha yeah my girl friend doesn't mind landscaping because her house gets cut for free and she likes when i buy her **** so im good on that lol :laugh:
Yeah and alot of people tell me that but i find myself balancing both

zak406
01-16-2012, 11:56 AM
You are to young to have a gf man just ffl. Find them ...... Them Leave them
Posted via Mobile Device

flynnlandscaping
01-16-2012, 12:21 PM
what are u talking about?

KS_Grasscutter
01-16-2012, 12:36 PM
I really like your logo!:clapping:

Now, to answer the question. Grow slowly. Buy used equipment if you can. Start building credit early. If you can get your dad to do it, have him cosign a loan for like a thousand bucks to buy a used hydro walk behind (if you have the work to support the payment). Make your payments a week early, every time. As for growing, just pass out flyers or door hangers in your neighborhood. Use this site to network. Find someone in your area in the industry to talk to when you need help. Do not step on anyone's toes. Don't try to be friends with all the other lawn guys in your town, just one or two. You will find there is resentment between a lot of people and you don't want to be in the middle of it (maybe my town is just ****** up, idk). Don't forget about your personal life, your friends, your school. Don't cut class to go mow (though I did... and also for plowing snow). Always do what you say you are going to do, never cut corners, always do what you say you are going to, and most importantly always do what you say you are going to. If half way through you realize you are going to make no money, keep doing it, and do it perfect, even go the extra mile. Just consider it an advertising cost or something, because if you half ass something you will never work for that customer again. Never get in a hurry, never use to big of equipment on your lawns, try not to mow in the rain. Don't get real big until you are 18 and can get liability insurance on your own, and be very careful not to screw anything up. It would be terrible to have something happen that would get your parents sued.

Good luck!

flynnlandscaping
01-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Yeah thanks i just got insurance workmans comp all that through my dad and ive been going to vo tec and they teach me alot of stuff. and yeah im after a 48 exmark on cl used i think its a better bet and going what you said about steeping on other guys feet i been trying real hard not to but due to the fact my dad knows every landscaper in my area real well because of where he went to school its hard to not step on there feet alot of guys tell me its all good and some give me 1 or 2 lawns with shity customer but they pay so i cant argue

TheBetterDoorhanger
01-16-2012, 02:01 PM
The best advice I can give you is that advertising is key to making your business grow! One of the least expensive but very effective ways to do that is by using Door-Hangers.
We have a lot of specials going on at Adeas Printing. You can get 1,000 door hangers with the revolutionary Band-It attachment on them for only $99.00. You can also get 1,000 combo Band-it/Stick-It door hangers for $119.00. By using door hangers you are creating a much more up close and personal conversation with your customer and you will really stand out from the competition. Take a look at our video page to learn more about Band-It & Stick It & to see our other specials & feel free to call us with questions! http://www.adeasprinting.com/Door-Hangers

Robin Christopherson
A'DEAS Printing
Home of Band-It & Stick-It® Products
www.AdeasPrinting.com
robin@adeasprinting.com
(316) 269-2494 ext. 200
(866) 251-3181 fax
719 S. St. Francis
Wichita, KS 67211

Dr.NewEarth
01-16-2012, 02:19 PM
Finish Grade twelve.

KrayzKajun
01-16-2012, 02:22 PM
The best advice I can give you is that advertising is key to making your business grow! One of the least expensive but very effective ways to do that is by using Door-Hangers.
We have a lot of specials going on at Adeas Printing. You can get 1,000 door hangers with the revolutionary Band-It attachment on them for only $99.00. You can also get 1,000 combo Band-it/Stick-It door hangers for $119.00. By using door hangers you are creating a much more up close and personal conversation with your customer and you will really stand out from the competition. Take a look at our video page to learn more about Band-It & Stick It & to see our other specials & feel free to call us with questions! http://www.adeasprinting.com/Door-Hangers

Robin Christopherson
A'DEAS Printing
www.AdeasPrinting.com
robin@adeasprinting.com
(316) 269-2494 ext. 200
(866) 251-3181 fax
719 S. St. Francis
Wichita, KS 67211

Do u have to hijack every thread?
Posted via Mobile Device

flynnlandscaping
01-16-2012, 02:27 PM

Robin Christopherson
A'DEAS Printing
www.AdeasPrinting.com
robin@adeasprinting.com
(316) 269-2494 ext. 200
(866) 251-3181 fax
719 S. St. Francis
Wichita, KS 67211

i will think about it

integrityman
01-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Focus on your education.

If horticulture is a passion, focus your academic studies in that direction. Biology, chemistry, genetics etc.

If your a "mow and blow" guy, learn how to fix an engine from top to bottom inside and out.

Regardless, study hard and keep your grades as your #1 priority. Thats YOUR job right now!

integrityman
01-16-2012, 02:53 PM
You are to young to have a gf man just ffl. Find them ...... Them Leave them
Posted via Mobile Device

Really? He's 14.

flynnlandscaping
01-16-2012, 03:05 PM
Focus on your education.

If horticulture is a passion, focus your academic studies in that direction. Biology, chemistry, genetics etc.

If your a "mow and blow" guy, learn how to fix an engine from top to bottom inside and out.

Regardless, study hard and keep your grades as your #1 priority. Thats YOUR job right now!

yeah i rebuild most of my equipment that i buy used and i sort am the blow and trim and mow guy

yardguy28
01-16-2012, 04:31 PM
i'm disappointed in the smart ass remarks you guys are leaving.

i would say use the advice of the guys on here. and i know your gonna say well that was your question.

there are many ways to run this business. i can only offer how i run it and you'll find i'm considered the odd ball by most.

i do things in the way that is easiest for me and gets me to my goals.

flynnlandscaping
01-16-2012, 05:37 PM
i hear you out man

zak406
01-16-2012, 05:52 PM
Really? He's 14.

It was a joke, he's 14 and I'm sure he's not dumb! As to you yard guy me and krazy gave him good advice. Live out your child hood I spent my childhood working my ass off in a ice rink trying to live a dream! Now I'm a 21 yr old freshman trying to catch up and the only thing I have.to show for it is pictures warmup suits and a host family I lived with in newyork
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
01-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Exactly! I was just trying to tell him to slow down and enjoy being a kid. I worked everyday after school my freshman year of highschool untill I graduated, then I joined the military. Spent 18months in Iraq. I'm 27 now, married, finally going back to college. I wish I would have just enjoyed highschool. Too late now.
Posted via Mobile Device

zak406
01-16-2012, 06:24 PM
27 your making me feel young haha jk. Isn't it crazy when you walk into class and there is a bunch of 18 yr old kids in there acting like idiots lol! I'm not to far removed from high-school but knowing what I know now I would do alot of things different starting with the women and working my way out
Posted via Mobile Device

jsslawncare
01-16-2012, 08:45 PM
I agree. Enjoy your childhood, there will be plenty of time to work. I wish my blower's started that easy.

yardguy28
01-17-2012, 10:53 AM
It was a joke, he's 14 and I'm sure he's not dumb! As to you yard guy me and krazy gave him good advice. Live out your child hood I spent my childhood working my ass off in a ice rink trying to live a dream! Now I'm a 21 yr old freshman trying to catch up and the only thing I have.to show for it is pictures warmup suits and a host family I lived with in newyork
Posted via Mobile Device

sorry i don't necessarly agree with your advice to enjoy his childhood.

if he wants to work let him work. if he wants to start a business and focus on it and expanding it, let him. i see nothing wrong with it and would never discourage anyone who wants to work at any age.

everyones dreams are different zak. i personally did enjoy my childhood. didn't really have a job until i was 18. got into the mowing business 6 years ago.

i'm now 30. you know what i have to show for enjoying my childhood and the jobs i have worked out? a 6 year old mowing business i'm extremely proud of, thats what.

i have no wife, no kids, no girflriend.

in my opinion you have something to show for your hardwork you just don't appreciate it. not everyone has the american dream of getting there own house, getting married and having kids if thats what your getting at.

wbw
01-17-2012, 01:38 PM
Hey guys im 14 and want to expand my lawn care company. Im currently taking courses at vocational school for commercial landscaping and horticulture. Ive been mowing since i was 8 and need to grow from a lawn tractor to a exmark WB and ive been working on upgrading the rest of my fleet to commercial equipment. If you are interested please check this video out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT7Oa3LdSJw&list=UUDxHCWK9hWqkAKro42W0QKQ&index=7&feature=plpp_video

I just want some professional advice to become bigger and better in the industry I would really appreciate any input!:)

The title was efficient, how to run an efficient lawn care?

Control your operating expenses. Have as little debt as possible. You are in a wonderful position at age 14. By the time you graduate from high school you will have a customer base that will be large enough to be a good starting point for full time work. If you manage your money (I'm assuming you don't have a house payment alimony or child support to pay:laugh:) you should have all of your equipment and a truck payed for. Purchase the truck and mowers used by the way. Purchase your handhelds new. Keep your route tight, they don't pay you to drive to their house, only to mow the lawn.

zak406
01-17-2012, 02:12 PM

if he wants to work let him work. if he wants to start a business and focus on it and expanding it, let him. i see nothing wrong with it and would never discourage anyone who wants to work at any age.

everyones dreams are different zak. i personally did enjoy my childhood. didn't really have a job until i was 18. got into the mowing business 6 years ago.

i'm now 30. you know what i have to show for enjoying my childhood and the jobs i have worked out? a 6 year old mowing business i'm extremely proud of, thats what.

in my opinion you have something to show for your hardwork you just don't appreciate it. not everyone has the american dream of getting there own house, getting married and having kids if thats what your getting at.

Not trying to start an argument, however as for the american dream thats were me and you agree. I do want to own my own house, however I DO NOT want to get married or have kids (I think the whole marriage thing is a joke) as for kids I coach a little kids hockey team and I get my fill of birth control every week. AS for having something to show for my hard work? I do I am very proud of my accomplishments in hockey. I was the first person in my family to ever play hockey, I didnt have a dad, grandpa, or uncle who played in the nhl or every played hockey. I went to one hockey camp in my life, and had a private goalie coach for my last two years of highschool. Despite all the other kids who were able to always go to camps and have private goalie coaches, I was still able to make it to play junior hockey in new york. I didnt quite get the outcome I wanted (ncaa d1 contract) or an nhl contract but for what I started with and how i taught my self Im extremely proud. Im also proud of my work I do in the landscaping field (you can see it in my picture thread e.z. landcaping 2011). You are correct everybodies dreams are different, however there were alot of things I missed out on (family vacations, friends, parties, drinking, women the list goes on and on) That I dont want to see kids miss out on.... Thats the reason I posted what I did...

flynnlandscaping
01-17-2012, 04:34 PM
I agree. Enjoy your childhood, there will be plenty of time to work. I wish my blower's started that easy.

haha thanks it takes me no time because i change air filters fuel filters every two months during mowing and leaf season

flynnlandscaping
01-17-2012, 04:36 PM

Thank you zak u hit the nail on the head i play sports and have a life and girl friend but also run a very good businesses at my age

meicher806
01-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Grow it at a pace you are comfortable with, if you want to rock it out now have some help by the time your 18, go for it. I am 31 I worked my butt off when I was younger, now i have 4 kids and during the summer i work 20 hours a week, im off in the winter unless it snows.
One tip for you, take 15% of your income and put it in some sort of savings or investment. do this right off the top then you can figure out what you have left over for money to play with but at-least you will have a savings type plan. I see too many people out there spending and not saving nearly enough.

flynnlandscaping
01-18-2012, 07:15 PM
Grow it at a pace you are comfortable with, if you want to rock it out now have some help by the time your 18, go for it. I am 31 I worked my butt off when I was younger, now i have 4 kids and during the summer i work 20 hours a week, im off in the winter unless it snows.
One tip for you, take 15% of your income and put it in some sort of savings or investment. do this right off the top then you can figure out what you have left over for money to play with but at-least you will have a savings type plan. I see too many people out there spending and not saving nearly enough.

thanks im working on a savings plan as we speak

BrendonTW
01-18-2012, 11:43 PM
There's much more advice that I would give, but I don't currently have time. So I'll reply about a previous reply about something simple. Don't spend a freakin dime on door hangers. Average return rate is lower than 1 percent. Google adwords lets you pay per click on an ad that you set up, and you have people who are specifically looking for YOU or YOUR SERVICES. So you don't have to spend much time hanging fliers. Also word of mouth.

Pro-turf lawn
01-30-2012, 11:59 PM
I am 15 and have a lawn business also, I mow 20 residential and 3 commercial accounts a week. You said that you got insured through your dad. My dad said he would do that if I paid and got some info. Help please

Lefet
01-31-2012, 03:51 PM

Robin Christopherson
A'DEAS Printing
www.AdeasPrinting.com
robin@adeasprinting.com
(316) 269-2494 ext. 200
(866) 251-3181 fax
719 S. St. Francis
Wichita, KS 67211

REALLY???? Come on!!!

The title was efficient, how to run an efficient lawn care?

Control your operating expenses. Have as little debt as possible. You are in a wonderful position at age 14. By the time you graduate from high school you will have a customer base that will be large enough to be a good starting point for full time work. If you manage your money (I'm assuming you don't have a house payment alimony or child support to pay:laugh:) you should have all of your equipment and a truck payed for. Purchase the truck and mowers used by the way. Purchase your handhelds new. Keep your route tight, they don't pay you to drive to their house, only to mow the lawn.

Very good advice

Very, VERY good advice!

And there was also education. If you like this field, learn as much as you can. You sound extremely mature for a 14 y/o. Take your time, learn as much as you can, save as much as you can, do the very best job you can. Everything else will come in time.

Good luck to you and keep us posted!!

flynnlandscaping
01-31-2012, 05:39 PM
Im in the same boat my friend

ZINC Lawn Care
02-03-2012, 05:29 PM
To me, efficience is operating within your ability and means. I'm not mowing 10-15-30 lawns a week like some of you on youtube and lawnsite. I'm mowing more like 5-7. Could I do more, yes, but this gives me time to study, participate im my RC hobby, and other stuff. And I can still pick up lawns if want. You need a zeroturn mower though ( You say you want a walkbehind, have you looked into a used/new vantage? Best of both worlds) Seems like the "pro's" gave some good advice!

Pro-turf lawn
02-05-2012, 12:30 AM
Yeah thanks i just got insurance workmans comp all that through my dad and ive been going to vo tec and they teach me alot of stuff. and yeah im after a 48 exmark on cl used i think its a better bet and going what you said about steeping on other guys feet i been trying real hard not to but due to the fact my dad knows every landscaper in my area real well because of where he went to school its hard to not step on there feet alot of guys tell me its all good and some give me 1 or 2 lawns with shity customer but they pay so i cant argue

I'm 15 and i do lawn care and landscaping also, you said you got insurance through your dad, how did you do it? And what types of marketing are you using

arninglawns
02-06-2012, 02:03 PM
To answer the title question, focus on finding reliable people to work for you, growing your business, and be willing to pay for things that will save you time like billing software and a good mechanic. The most important thing in the world to a person at any age is their time. If you listen to most of the people on this list, you'll be behind a lawnmower for the rest of your life.

yardguy28
02-07-2012, 10:32 AM
To answer the title question, focus on finding reliable people to work for you, growing your business, and be willing to pay for things that will save you time like billing software and a good mechanic. The most important thing in the world to a person at any age is their time. If you listen to most of the people on this list, you'll be behind a lawnmower for the rest of your life.

exactly what i had planned from day one of starting my business.

wbw
02-07-2012, 02:58 PM
exactly what i had planned from day one of starting my business.

How old are you?

How long have you been doing this?

The most important things in life are options. You need to have options.

yardguy28
02-08-2012, 01:28 PM
How old are you?

How long have you been doing this?

The most important things in life are options. You need to have options.

opinions are like @ssholes, everyone has one.

i'm 30 and have been doing this 6 years now.

i will do this until it kills me or i can't physically do it anymore.

wbw
02-08-2012, 05:33 PM
You just made my point. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
02-09-2012, 06:53 PM
glad i could help.....

your welcome.....

WheatBookkeeping
02-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Keep in mind that you are a businessman who happens to do lawn care. Get a simple bookkeeping system going as soon as you can, it doesn’t have to be elaborate. You have plans to expand and get new equipment and stuff, right? So, you’ll need a little set of books that will keep you on track, ensure you pay your bills on time, track who owes you money, and never miss a tax deadline, and depicts how you are doing toward your financial goals.

The best of luck in everything you want to do.

wbw
02-10-2012, 06:03 PM
opinions are like @ssholes, everyone has one.

i'm 30 and have been doing this 6 years now.

i will do this until it kills me or i can't physically do it anymore.

What will happen when/if you can't do it anymore? This is why options are so important.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
02-11-2012, 12:17 AM
What will happen when/if you can't do it anymore? This is why options are so important.
Posted via Mobile Device

on to whatever job i can physicall do. i have no desire to retire. but i am saving for it. god knows why though.