PDA

View Full Version : The Senator Burned

Landscape Poet
01-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Very sad to say the least if arson as indeed the cause of this tree catching fire. What the heck are people thinking?
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/seminole/os-senator-cypress-tree-fire-20120116,0,6171920.story

Keith
01-16-2012, 01:29 PM
A-holes :mad: I mean really, who the xxxx does something like that?

I was driving down the road, probably 30 miles away from where that would be this morning and I could smell something burning. Very strong smelling compared to most wood fires. I commented on the peculiar smell. That was probably it.

I honestly did not know anything about this tree until last year or so. I intended to go see it sometime :(

Landscape Poet
01-16-2012, 04:14 PM
A-holes :mad: I mean really, who the xxxx does something like that?

I was driving down the road, probably 30 miles away from where that would be this morning and I could smell something burning. Very strong smelling compared to most wood fires. I commented on the peculiar smell. That was probably it.

I honestly did not know anything about this tree until last year or so. I intended to go see it sometime :(

Keith - I made it up there last year to look at it after reading about it online actually. It is sad that something so old and graceful could be intentionally set on fire if that is what happened.

jvanvliet
01-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Sad... very sad. No respect, no values, no morals, no consience, no brains. Very sad state of affairs.

grassman177
01-16-2012, 05:07 PM
very sad.......

Keith
01-16-2012, 05:14 PM
They seem to think that is was not arson, just an act of nature. I hope that turns out to be the case.

jvanvliet
01-16-2012, 09:03 PM
Spontaneous combustion? I don't think so...

Landscape Poet
01-16-2012, 09:33 PM
They seem to think that is was not arson, just an act of nature. I hope that turns out to be the case.

This article says that too Keith - but then at the bottom of the article it goes on to say that if people were caught it would be a federal crime since it was listed as a national landmark????? :confused::confused::confused:

Johnagain
01-16-2012, 11:52 PM
I was it the area about 1/2 mile away this morning and watched a helicopter with a bucket dropping water but didn't know that it was the big tree until later in the day. You just didn't realize the size of the tree until you stood in front of it. 3500 years old it's hard to believe what it went through before this and survived.

keithslawnc
01-17-2012, 08:26 AM
They now believe that the core of the tree may have been smoldering for some time caused by a lightning strike.

ProMo
01-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Hasnt been any lightning in the area for months.