PDA

View Full Version : Accepting Payments Online

Durabird02
01-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Do any of you accept online payments and if you do, how do you do it? Trying to get ideas, thanks.

Lefet
01-18-2012, 03:35 PM
We do via paypal on our website. Doesn't cost anything until they pay, then they take a small %. Comes immediately, transfers to the bank within 2 days or so.

xclusive
01-18-2012, 04:30 PM
We do via paypal on our website. Doesn't cost anything until they pay, then they take a small %. Comes immediately, transfers to the bank within 2 days or so.

Whats the percentage? Can you post your website so I can see how the paypal is set up?

Lefet
01-18-2012, 04:38 PM
Whats the percentage? Can you post your website so I can see how the paypal is set up?

Not sure off the top of my head what the % is I can go check if you want. If you check their website, just check out the free one. You can check ours out here (http://www.lefetenterprises.com).

Lefet
01-18-2012, 04:40 PM
payment is here. (https://merchant.paypal.com/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=merchant/wp_standard&nav=2.1.0)

Lefet
01-18-2012, 04:41 PM
It's really not bad. It's there, you don't have to pay for it unless someone uses it.

xclusive
01-18-2012, 05:49 PM
It's really not bad. It's there, you don't have to pay for it unless someone uses it.

When clients use it whats Paypals policy for disputes like? Have you had any issues?

Lefet
01-18-2012, 07:13 PM
When clients use it whats Paypals policy for disputes like? Have you had any issues?

Haven't had any issues, and really don't expect to. They get their bill, they know what they're paying for before they pay for it. Shouldn't be any issues.

David Haggerty
01-19-2012, 08:53 AM

OH YEAH! When there's a dispute Paypal's policy is...You loose!
My issue was when my Nephew used my account to sell something overseas. He shipped the items, the recipiant "disputed" having recieved the items, Paypal froze the payment and it's been frozen for 3 years. $1,000 of MY money.

My payments online are now done thru my bank, directly to my account with no fees. It's instantaneous, and it's free. Check with your bank to see if they have a program that'll suit you.

wbw
01-19-2012, 10:57 AM
It is just like everything else. Use quickbooks.

Big C
01-19-2012, 01:12 PM
I take payments via paypal on my website, also majority of my customers receive their invoices via email so I have a paypal button attached to my electronic invoices so that they can go straight to paypal. I also got setup through Square to take credit/debt cards at the jobsite also via my iphone (mainly used for the one timers that request a mowing because they saw me in their subdivision,this avoids getting bad checks from one time customers)

Larson Lawn Care
01-19-2012, 02:51 PM
Do you get a notification of who has paid? I have been considering paypal, but I wasn't sure if I would be able to know if/when someone pays?

Larson Lawn Care
01-19-2012, 03:02 PM
I just went to their website, and I don't want to pay $3-6 for each transaction. What free options are out there?

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
01-19-2012, 03:06 PM
I just went to their website, and I don't want to pay $3-6 for each transaction. What free options are out there?

https://www.dwolla.com/

Larson Lawn Care
01-19-2012, 03:09 PM
Thanks, I'll look into that

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
01-19-2012, 03:10 PM
It costs a quarter to receive payments, and senders is free, but they will need to sign up for an account to pay you...

grassman177
01-19-2012, 03:43 PM
I have been told about intuit that works with quickbooks. it is 50 cents per trans, no matter the size, and works as a electronic check.

any of you use this? or know about it?

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
01-19-2012, 03:58 PM
I have been told about intuit that works with quickbooks. it is 50 cents per trans, no matter the size, and works as a electronic check.

any of you use this? or know about it?

Intuit is the company that makes QuickBooks...

Big C
01-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Do you get a notification of who has paid? I have been considering paypal, but I wasn't sure if I would be able to know if/when someone pays?

Yes I get a notification email and it auto updates my invoice system (Working Point) to show that the balance was paid.

grassman177
01-19-2012, 09:39 PM
Intuit is the company that makes QuickBooks...

yes, and they have this program for accepting checks online thru your website, something. have not gotten too into it, but want to throw out the quesitons and mentions about it.

seems a good deal to me, the main reason we dont want to accept credit cards is the loss of money from the transaction. i dont like that much at all.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
01-19-2012, 09:46 PM
I use paypal on my site and I have a couple of regulars and the fee is like $3, I'm in the process of checking out dwolla
Posted via Mobile Device

silverado212
01-25-2012, 02:57 PM
If you have Quickbooks theyhave an option of basically direct deposit into your bank account. I found out about it when i emailed an invoice to a client and they requested direct payment. It's alittle bit of a process to set up, basically they request to pay you directly into your account and you accept it. I believe .50$ a transaction and next business day the money is there. Only did it the one time so i am going from memory for the info.

inzane
10-19-2013, 10:42 PM
anyone use authorize.net? i'm thinking of using it next year, but really not sure what the fees are, i checked the pricing on their site, lots of "asteriks" so i wonder if there may be some hidden fees. $20 a month, plus 10cents per transaction doesn't sound bad, thats what i was reading on there. With paypal its 2 or 3 bucks everytime someone pays. I'm not liking that to much anymore, plus waiting 3 days to transfer the money.

Patriot Services
10-19-2013, 11:02 PM
Paypal for many years now. 60% of my regulars use it. Also has a smartphone swiper for point of sale. No dispute issues. You choose between a "goods" or "services" transaction so dipute rules are different. Service disputes can't be frozen or retracted. 2.9% is the fee. You can transfer to your accounts or use the MC debit card they give you. Transfer requests before noon will post next business day. Can't say enough good about them.
Posted via Mobile Device

TwoGuyswithMowers
10-19-2013, 11:06 PM
We email a paypal invoice after each service. I get an email notification when it's paid. My average invoice is $40 and I pay $1.46 for that.
Posted via Mobile Device

recycledsole
10-20-2013, 07:40 AM
I use paypal, and the client pays the convience fee of 3%. So a $100 bill would be $103 on paypal. Otherwise they can write me a check or pay cash. Not supporting the corrupt banks by acecoting credit cards.

As for paypal disputes, I disputed a transaction unrelated to my business a year ago. They were very helpful and contacted the company and they gave me my products that same day. They wanted a copy of my drivers liscense to 'verify my identity'. After I had purchased from this company atleast 5 times before this with the same credit card and verified my ID many ways.

inzane
10-20-2013, 01:12 PM
How do you implement the convenience fee to your customers? I tried it, but then i found out it was against paypal policy. Much less cusotmers used paypal to pay me when i was trying to charge $3.00 to pay online. I still rather paypal payments over checks, easier to deal with. figure the fees will be tax deductible anyways.

I use paypal, and the client pays the convience fee of 3%. So a $100 bill would be $103 on paypal. Otherwise they can write me a check or pay cash. Not supporting the corrupt banks by acecoting credit cards.

As for paypal disputes, I disputed a transaction unrelated to my business a year ago. They were very helpful and contacted the company and they gave me my products that same day. They wanted a copy of my drivers liscense to 'verify my identity'. After I had purchased from this company atleast 5 times before this with the same credit card and verified my ID many ways.

Patriot Services
10-20-2013, 01:21 PM
How do you implement the convenience fee to your customers? I tried it, but then i found out it was against paypal policy. Much less cusotmers used paypal to pay me when i was trying to charge $3.00 to pay online. I still rather paypal payments over checks, easier to deal with. figure the fees will be tax deductible anyways.

Its a deductible expense. I've never added it on. Most business quit that practice in the 80s. The benefit of being able to accept cards generates thousands of dollars in business. Especially on large projects that people can't afford all at once.
Posted via Mobile Device

CherylMD
10-20-2013, 01:29 PM
We started using Intuit's Quick-books Online Payment in July. The fee is a flat 50¢ ea. Several customers took to it IMMEDIATELY. Nothing like finding payment in the bank on the same day I have emailed the invoices!

Looking into the Intuit credit card "thing" that goes on your phone to process CC payments. Seems like it would beneficial during snow-plow season.

Patriot Services
10-20-2013, 01:38 PM
Gotta love an inbox full of "you've got money" instead of spam.
Posted via Mobile Device

McFarland_Lawn_Care
10-20-2013, 05:07 PM

Yea, it's against credit card policies to charge an extra fee for customers using cc to pay. Basically, you have to determine if the convenience is worth it to you or not. Like it's been said, it's more convenient and in many instances can be easier to sell the customer on larger projects. We used to use Paypal and were happy overall but now have switched to a new system where clients can login to their account, view invoices, pay them via cc, and it automatically gets deposited to our account. Lot easier on the accounting end of things. The authorize.net that you refer to is the only one piece of the pie. You need a merchant account through another third party to hold your money and transfer it. Hard to explain on here but basically authorize.net runs the transaction side of things but doesn't not hold anyones' account - from what I understand.

tonygreek
10-20-2013, 06:10 PM
Yea, it's against credit card policies to charge an extra fee for customers using cc to pay.
To clarify a bit, for the majority of states, this changed last January. It's still illegal in:
California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma, and Texas

CherylMD
10-21-2013, 10:32 AM
The Quickbooks Online Payments were actually very easy to set up. A quick questionaire where you fill in your bank info, a day or so later, an email letting you know you're good to go. The Quickbooks actually assigns the LINK to each individual invoice. If a customer receives online billing, they just click the link. If they receive a printed invoice - their own link is there, just type it into the search bar online, and the rest is up to them.

My customers that are using it are "older" people, so it must be easy enough!

inzane
10-21-2013, 11:19 AM
thanks, thats makes sense. Sounds like paypal is still a pretty good way to go then.

The authorize.net that you refer to is the only one piece of the pie. You need a merchant account through another third party to hold your money and transfer it. Hard to explain on here but basically authorize.net runs the transaction side of things but doesn't not hold anyones' account - from what I understand.

A. W. Landscapers, Inc.
10-21-2013, 12:32 PM
The Quickbooks Online Payments were actually very easy to set up. A quick questionaire where you fill in your bank info, a day or so later, an email letting you know you're good to go. The Quickbooks actually assigns the LINK to each individual invoice. If a customer receives online billing, they just click the link. If they receive a printed invoice - their own link is there, just type it into the search bar online, and the rest is up to them.

I hope you can answer a few questions for me...

When the customer clicks the link on the emailed invoice or types it in their browser, what happens...what does the customer see/have to do to make a payment?

Does this bring them to a screen that shows them their invoice with the balanced owed on their account (total of multiple invoices for their account) or do they only see this one invoice or is their a blank payment box that the customer has to enter the amount they wish to pay? If the customer gets an invoice for $100 can the customer enter a payment of $50 or are they only able to make the full payment of $100?

Am I correct in assuming that this is handled on an Intuit/Quickbooks website and not on my website?

How automated is the system when it comes to recording the payments that have been received? What do I have to do inside of Quickbooks each time a customer makes a payment? Is it as simple as clicking a sync button or do I have to manually enter every payment and deposit like I do when I receive a check from the customer?

Sorry for all the questions.

CherylMD
10-21-2013, 02:40 PM
The first time they click the link, it asks them to set up payments using their own banking info. I NEVER SEE THEIR PERSONAL BANKING INFO.

One they have set up their own info, when they click the link on subsequent invoices, they log-in to the Intuit system USING INFORMATION THAT I NEVER SEE.

I did a test run before using it, billing myself $1.00 and and paying myself $1.00. ONE DOLLAR was deducted from my personal checking account and FIFTY CENTS was deposited into the Landscape Checking account. The balance of 50 CENTS I wrote to "bank fees" expense, so the $1.00 invoice I was carrying on QB cleared.

Now, as to your question of HOW MUCH they can pay -- good question :confused: Tonight or tomorrow, I'll re-bill myself and let ya know - LOL!

You know when YOUR CHECKING ACCOUNT has received the money, because you receive an EMAIL letting you know that so-and so has paid you online. The email arrived from Intuit. "IF" you do online banking and download the banking info into your QB, you then would process the payment the usual way. It's just that YOU did not actually make the deposit.

Are you a QB user? If so, I use 2012 -- self-taught. Look-up their tutorial on receiving payments.

I'll BBL or tomorrow w/info on the partial payment etc.

Hope this helps a bit.

A. W. Landscapers, Inc.
10-21-2013, 02:48 PM
I've been using QB for several years. If memory serves, I'm using the Contractor 2010 edition.

Patriot Services
10-22-2013, 03:35 AM
thanks, thats makes sense. Sounds like paypal is still a pretty good way to go then.

It also has brand name recognition that give people a sense of security. Most laypeople don't about QB.
Posted via Mobile Device

bpallazza
01-09-2014, 02:59 PM
Hey all. My name is Brant. I own ReliaBills and am an advertiser on Lawnsite.com. I am glad to hear everyone so aware of the laws regarding charging convenience fees or surcharges. Fact is, it's not worth losing your merchant account over. Let me offer another suggestion...encourage the use of ACH or echecks in addition to credit cards. An ACH payment is simply a direct debit from a checking or savings account. Typically costs between $0.50 and $0.99 per transaction. So for larger invoices, it can be way cheaper than credit cards.

Some of the solutions mentioned are great invoicing and billing solutions (Quickbooks for example). Their only shortfall is that they don't actually help you get paid. As the owner of an alternative solution, my opinion is clearly biased. But what we do differently is we send automated email reminders, late payment notices, confirmations, etc. to your customers. All emails contain a link so customers can pay you directly from the email or they can go to your site to click on a pay no button. All emails are completely branded with your look and feel. You define how often and when they go out. Use our templates or write your own. Just set them up once and you are done. We even give you a portal so your customers can log in, view payment of billing history, and even keep a payment method on file so they can automate payments. You don't even need a merchant account...you can use ours.

Sorry for the self promotion. But we save landscapers a ton of time and we actually help you get paid (lemme know if you'd like a reference).

wildstarblazer
01-09-2014, 09:04 PM
I learned that the lawn care millionaire guy has credit cards for customers on file so he can charge each client right after service and is paid without having to bill and wait for them to pay.

Not sure what he uses and this type of set up may take more legal requirements but that is the way I think it should be. Sick of waiting for payments. I want my money when I'm finished. Period.

inzane
01-09-2014, 09:12 PM
thats what i'm gonna try this year. using service autopilot and bluepay, it seems to be a good setup but i will see soon enough i guess. i'm not making it a requirement for them to setup on autopay but its gonna cost more if they are not on auto-pay. I am just not sure how many people will want to give that info to a lawn guy.

all i know is that this year my customers who have had issues paying in the past will be given a choice to be setup on auto-pay or hit the road. :waving:

I learned that the lawn care millionaire guy has credit cards for customers on file so he can charge each client right after service and is paid without having to bill and wait for them to pay.

Not sure what he uses and this type of set up may take more legal requirements but that is the way I think it should be. Sick of waiting for payments. I want my money when I'm finished. Period.

bpallazza
01-09-2014, 11:16 PM
You'd be surprised at how many customers are OK with auto pay. The key is communication and transparency. Make sure they know why you are doing it: the environment (save paper bills and stamps), or just to save money. Tell them that if you can keep your costs down, you can keep their rates from increasing (which is why charging a convenience fee is not a good idea). Next, use emails to let them know when you are going to bill their card and how much. Then do it !!! Don't bill early, or late or another amount. Lastly, a customer portal is key. You need this to allow the customer to securely add their bank or credit card info. Also, by letting them see their billing and payment history, it gives them a sense of being in control of their account. As long as they can always see what's been billed and when, they will be OK. No surprises. Trust me...this really does work.

TTS
01-10-2014, 12:04 AM
It is a deductable expense but if you still don't want to pay the fees there are ways around it. As Tony pointed out the law changed in most states. For the others you can either offer a cash discount or add convenience charge for online bill pay, both are completely legal.

No matter how you slice it the time and fuel saved from having to go to the bank and cash checks balances out most of the fees anyway. I'm not currently set up for cc or online payments but I'm looking into it for the future and there's some good information here to keep in mind.

Johnny79
01-10-2014, 05:29 PM
I just signed up for Inuit online pay. It's one of the best things you can do if you want to cut down on paper work and my customers like the option
Posted via Mobile Device

GaryBK
01-11-2014, 03:52 PM

I watched some of his youtube videos on billing credit cards after service. I was VERY apprehensive about this but thought it was a great idea to avoid the headaches about collections and bounced checks. 2 years ago we went to the policy of having a credit card on file to bill the service after it is completed or if they want to use a check they must prepay for the year. I WAS SHOCKED! No one questioned it. My cash flow is now nice and even. No collection calls. We grandfathered a few old customers to pay by check and a few got through the cracks without providing a cc number but this last season on a 6 figure revenue we wrote off under $100! Our credit card fees run about $400/month. That seems high but compared to the hassle of collections that's peanuts. The biggest problem is minor - the credit card it declined. We then just try again in a few days and keep doing that until it goes through. I highly endorse it.
Posted via Mobile Device

wildstarblazer
01-18-2014, 05:32 PM
For those that use quickbooks for payments:

How much do they charge when a customer clicks pay now from an email invoice?

Is there a portal for them to log in to check their account info or to enter their credit card info without having to give it to me?

Johnny79
01-18-2014, 07:13 PM
For those that use quickbooks for payments:

How much do they charge when a customer clicks pay now from an email invoice?
Is there a portal for them to log in to check their account info or to enter their credit card info without having to give it to me?

Yes, it cost 50 cents you don't have to do anything
Posted via Mobile Device

PK Mows
01-18-2014, 11:22 PM
Paypal. Cheap, instant and easy to use. Quickbooks links right to it with no log-in problems like my bank accounts. Easy for Customers to use, same rates on all credit cards and my web guy says was easy as pie to set-up. I've used numerous merchant service companies over the better part of 30 years and Paypal has been the absolute best.

I've had 3 disputes in the last couple years and Paypal resolved them quickly and all in my favor. And best of all, I routinely take large deposits and payments and there is no wait for my money. I had an issue with Intuit holding several thousand dollars for over a week once, soured me on them. Had the same trouble with Square, until they raised my limit, but once Paypal brought out their mobile slider I switched to them. Square holds your money overnight, Paypal gives it to you immediately.

Love me some Paypal.

wildstarblazer
01-19-2014, 10:47 AM
Paypal. Cheap, instant and easy to use. Quickbooks links right to it with no log-in problems like my bank accounts. Easy for Customers to use, same rates on all credit cards and my web guy says was easy as pie to set-up. I've used numerous merchant service companies over the better part of 30 years and Paypal has been the absolute best.

I've had 3 disputes in the last couple years and Paypal resolved them quickly and all in my favor. And best of all, I routinely take large deposits and payments and there is no wait for my money. I had an issue with Intuit holding several thousand dollars for over a week once, soured me on them. Had the same trouble with Square, until they raised my limit, but once Paypal brought out their mobile slider I switched to them. Square holds your money overnight, Paypal gives it to you immediately.

Love me some Paypal.

I like paypal too but need something to keep track of customers at the same time. That's why I was thinking of quickbooks.

You say you can use paypal through quickbnooks? Does that involve some techy stuff? I know your web guy said it's easy but how bout for the lay person. I do my own websites so maybe I can figure it out.

Thanks!

tebletlawns
01-20-2014, 02:25 AM
I started using Paysimple for auto billing last year. Should have done it sooner. I thought people would be hesitant but I've had no problems. Makes life easier for me and for them. Charging a checking account only cost 55¢ and credit cards rates are competitive.
Posted via Mobile Device

lowvoltguy
01-24-2014, 11:59 AM
I like paypal too but need something to keep track of customers at the same time. That's why I was thinking of quickbooks.

You say you can use paypal through quickbnooks? Does that involve some techy stuff? I know your web guy said it's easy but how bout for the lay person. I do my own websites so maybe I can figure it out.

Thanks!

Try Reliabills. You can set up a trial account to see what it is like. It is easy to use and does keep track of customers. I don't really like Paypal. If there is ever a dispute, they lock your money up and it just becomes a pain.

Locqus
01-24-2014, 12:45 PM

Quite the interesting feature! We never thought of adding a link in our emailed invoices for payment by the customer. We focused on the the POS transaction with the swiper first. Definitely adding this to our system! Going to be a great feature add on in the summer. Thanks for the epiphany guys!

PK Mows
01-25-2014, 11:17 AM

Thanks!

For expenses, it works just like a linked bank or credit card account. You just enter your account info and password in the account set-up and done The transactions show up and you categorize and clear them just like a credit card.

For payments, I can't say as we're currently still using our routing/lawncare software for processing payments per Customer. That will change when we switch to ServiceCEO later this year. They tell me that it will be pretty much seamless, but not having done it yet I can't say for sure.