PDA

View Full Version : Spring Activations

greenworldh20
01-18-2012, 04:39 PM
Hello! Looking to see what you all do to get your customers to open up system before the first heat wave comes. We service over 1000 customers so looking for ideas...homeowners say 'spring activation' post cards get tossed aside with junk mail...any ideas to get homeowners to prepay and schedule service early?

Wet_Boots
01-18-2012, 04:47 PM
Outside of having through-the-wall shutoffs and outside-mounted controllers, I can't think of any sure way to get them turned on sooner

DanaMac
01-18-2012, 04:53 PM
I am getting away from the postcards at the end of 2012. Going to an email list newsletter, and Facebook. FB is a great easy way to make quick announcements to customers that sign up or "Like" you. Granted, I only have 11 people on my FB list, and only two are actual customers. :) Just started it up last November.
I hate FB, but it's almost expected now in business.

Stuttering Stan
01-18-2012, 09:42 PM
With 1000 customers, you should have a large marketing budget and be able to sample with different advertising avenues. Analyzing the numbers should give you a good perspective as to what is effective and what is not.

I've had little success on postcards, average success with email correspondence, and great success with calling each customer and personally speaking to them.
Facebook has not been a success. Customers don't want to hear about their irrigation on FB, they want to see what their friends are doing.

DanaMac
01-18-2012, 10:05 PM
Customers don't want to hear about their irrigation on FB, they want to see what their friends are doing.

Personally, I disagree with that. I have put more than half my FB "friends" on hide, and subscribe to more of the business pages - RB, Hunter, backpack related stuff, local bike shops while I am looking for a mtn bike, etc. I really don't care who is in line at Starbucks and so forth. You're not hidden of course little buddy :)

HBFOXJr
01-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Hello! Looking to see what you all do to get your customers to open up system before the first heat wave comes. We service over 1000 customers so looking for ideas...homeowners say 'spring activation' post cards get tossed aside with junk mail...any ideas to get homeowners to prepay and schedule service early?

We've been beating this one hard ourselves since 2007. We're still refining the process. One thing we started in in 2010 for people that hadn't bought in to the pre pay start and winterize idea, was forcing them to pre pay when they wanted starting or service. We simply told them we now only work by pre payed contract and we need a credit card to get started. Way easier than most would imagine. If they already started their system, needed service, and we hadn't been there in the current year, we treated it as a start up and went through the entire system any how, to make sure all was well when we left.

Next up for us is setting a month in which renewals are to happen. I'm thinking end of summer or fall, before winterizations are complete, the season is still sort of active, and we're still in people's minds.

AI Inc
01-19-2012, 02:34 PM

Crank the price up , then offer them a discount for early booking.

HBFOXJr
01-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Crank the price up , then offer them a discount for early booking.

We discount for sign up by a certain date, plus give 10% repair discounts for pp clients. We did raise our prices before offering the discount, so non pp pay more than they really need too.

Mike Leary
01-19-2012, 07:51 PM
I'd be curious what you guys do when "Spring Activating". Do you just turn it on , check the clock, or walk the zones,"cookie cutting" and checking each head (on your knees) for problems? I did.

Kiril
01-19-2012, 08:09 PM
I'd be curious what you guys do when "Spring Activating". Do you just turn it on , check the clock, or walk the zones,"cookie cutting" and checking each head (on your knees) for problems? I did.

Ditto, except I don't get on my knees unless I have to.

Mike Leary
01-19-2012, 09:06 PM
Ditto, except I don't get on my knees unless I have to.

Being built low to the ground is a big asset in our trade.

greenworldh20
01-19-2012, 09:32 PM
Thanks for all the replies...seems like the phone call is the best and most effective way to go...certainly not the most economical...we are done with post cards...too many people throw away...you are right with the marketing budget...spend alot of $ on advertising in spring and fall...just looking to see what others were doing.

thanks for all replies!