PDA

View Full Version : Guys in FLORIDA mulching St. Aug-Enter please

Florida Gardener
01-19-2012, 12:57 AM
OK

I have been trying to find the best setup to mulch. I have done a block-off plate with gators and full mulch kit with the stock Wright blades and the wavy exmarks.

The problems:
Plate-leaves the line on the side in growing season.
Kit-Blowout

I use one spacer on top of the blade during growing season. The mower is a 36" Fixed Deck Wright Stander.

Anyone have any special tricks so I can get rid of these problems? Thanks in advance.

FYI-I am cutting healthy vigorous St. Augustine lawns weekly.

Keith
01-19-2012, 02:44 AM
You're getting front blowout during the growing season? For me that's something that's more of a problem during the winter and dry spring. I can take the anti-blowout kit off during the summer and barely notice a difference. Without it this time of year, blowout is pretty bad. Wright doesn't make a kit for that?
Posted via Mobile Device

williams lcm
01-19-2012, 06:48 AM
It might just be the set-up on your mower. I have a JD 950 series and it does a beautiful job mulching. is it a true mulch kit? Baffles around each blade. You should not be getting a strip unless you just have a plate installed without baffles.

jvanvliet
01-19-2012, 06:59 AM
Our 36" Metro's (fixed deck) have the Exmark mulching kits, we use the wavy mulching blades cutting height to 4". Rarely had problems with blow out or lines. We usually overlap the cut a little, I think that helps the "line" problem.

We'll see some clumping in wet tall grass (on a weekly we usually don't take off more than 3"). We'll leave the clump and come back with a blower (Shindi EB802) and distribute the clump.

I think you'll always have some issues with blowouts, clumping or lines on tall wet grass with any mower, mulch kit or not.

ProMo
01-19-2012, 08:19 AM
The wright mulch kit is the worst one I have used.

jvanvliet
01-19-2012, 08:26 AM

I've heard that before, it's one of the reasons I'm hesitant about swapping the Metro's for the Wright Stander.

Florida Gardener
01-19-2012, 08:46 AM

Maybe this is the problem then. What issues did you have with yours?
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
01-19-2012, 07:14 PM
I took my kit off of my Wrights. I only use the plate. It does leave rows but I over lap them and then flip the plate up when I can and discharge the lines away. Not every yard does it. It's mainly when its heavy growth and I'm trying to get it down to the 4 inch range instead off all the way up. Move your blades up in the deck more and you won't get much if any blow out but it will clog and need scraping more often. I welded the plate to the discharge assemble and took off the rubber and cut the extra stuff off. Basically its a homemade ocdc.

Florida Gardener
01-19-2012, 07:17 PM
I took my kit off of my Wrights. I only use the plate. It does leave rows but I over lap them and then flip the plate up when I can and discharge the lines away. Not every yard does it. It's mainly when its heavy growth and I'm trying to get it down to the 4 inch range instead off all the way up. Move your blades up in the deck more and you won't get much if any blow out but it will clog and need scraping more often. I welded the plate to the discharge assemble and took off the rubber and cut the extra stuff off. Basically its a homemade ocdc.

What blades are you running? So you think the kit is worthless?

unkownfl
01-19-2012, 07:29 PM
I just didn't like the kit because of dropping all the clippings and staining walks and driveways every time I crossed. I use standard medium lift blades.

Florida Gardener
01-19-2012, 07:42 PM
I just didn't like the kit because of dropping all the clippings and staining walks and driveways every time I crossed. I use standard medium lift blades.

Yes, that's the biggest problem. At least with the plate you don't get staining. Those are the blades that come with the mower, right? Have you ever tried gators with the plate?
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
01-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Yes, that's the biggest problem. At least with the plate you don't get staining. Those are the blades that come with the mower, right? Have you ever tried gators with the plate?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes I've tried gators and regular high lifts. I didn't notice much if anything they cut worse. I normally cut dry grass after 10am on the thick stuff. Usually do the crappy lawns earlier. The best blades I've found are mediums or highs that don't have a notch for the lift. The hardest grass to cut for me is common bermuda. It always has stripes like the deck isn't cutting even. I've tried different decks etc none seem to get an even cut.

ProMo
01-19-2012, 08:39 PM
I am running the stock blades. It feels like the mower is under stress in thick grass but it still gives a decent cut with no visible clippings . Blowout doesnt seem to bother me unless going around a pool deck and hearing the grass in pool complaints. Now that oak leaves are getting ready to drop is when I threaten to pull the kit as it wont lift the leaves to chop them up. The john deere I have is excellent in thick grass but again not much better with oak leaves. The 36 exmark I replaced with the wright did it all not as smooth as the deere in thick grass but not bad either and it preformed the best with the leaves. I tried the wavy exmark blades on the wright and it took the load off the machine but the cut wasnt as good so Im back to stock blades. I wouldnt say its worthless as I still use it. After 12+ years with dedicated mulch kits its hard to go back to discharge. Even though it sucks with leaves I have only had one complaint and lost job because of it. I have other issues with my wright but I left them out and will only say check to see that the bolts holding your motor on have a lock washer mine did not and the extra stress with the mulch kit almost caused my motor to fall off. lost 3 bolts and there was no washer on fourth.

Florida Gardener
01-19-2012, 08:40 PM
Yes I've tried gators and regular high lifts. I didn't notice much if anything they cut worse. I normally cut dry grass after 10am on the thick stuff. Usually do the crappy lawns earlier. The best blades I've found are mediums or highs that don't have a notch for the lift. The hardest grass to cut for me is common bermuda. It always has stripes like the deck isn't cutting even. I've tried different decks etc none seem to get an even cut.

I guess what I'm going to do is use the kit for winter cause it's good with leaves and just side discharge in summer with gators. The gators are great for discharging. It's just annoying I spent money on a kit that sucks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
01-19-2012, 08:43 PM
I am running the stock blades. It feels like the mower is under stress in thick grass but it still gives a decent cut with no visible clippings . Blowout doesnt seem to bother me unless going around a pool deck and hearing the grass in pool complaints. Now that oak leaves are getting ready to drop is when I threaten to pull the kit as it wont lift the leaves to chop them up. The john deere I have is excellent in thick grass but again not much better with oak leaves. The 36 exmark I replaced with the wright did it all not as smooth as the deere in thick grass but not bad either and it preformed the best with the leaves. I tried the wavy exmark blades on the wright and it took the load off the machine but the cut wasnt as good so Im back to stock blades. I wouldnt say its worthless as I still use it. After 12+ years with dedicated mulch kits its hard to go back to discharge. Even though it sucks with leaves I have only had one complaint and lost job because of it. I have other issues with my wright but I left them out and will only say check to see that the bolts holding your motor on have a lock washer mine did not and the extra stress with the mulch kit almost caused my motor to fall off. lost 3 bolts and there was no washer on fourth.

What other issues? Preference or something everyone should be aware of?? Do you have the bigger hp motor? I think the wavy exmarks leave the same cut as the stock blades...
Posted via Mobile Device

ProMo
01-19-2012, 09:12 PM
mainly bolts without lock washers. The control platform whatever its called lost two bolts and could have lost control of machine and as with engine bolts there was no warning . I looked at a freinds new machine(75hrs ) he had the same issue. The engine life is shortened due to blowout and location of air filter as well as stress dealing with improper flow of mulch kit. Also have a cut issue on one side that looks like one side higher than other yet it shows when going back and forth and its only were the right side meets on each pass. In my 30 years this is the best mower concept but has given me the worst reliability.

Florida Gardener
01-19-2012, 09:22 PM
mainly bolts without lock washers. The control platform whatever its called lost two bolts and could have lost control of machine and as with engine bolts there was no warning . I looked at a freinds new machine(75hrs ) he had the same issue. The engine life is shortened due to blowout and location of air filter as well as stress dealing with improper flow of mulch kit. Also have a cut issue on one side that looks like one side higher than other yet it shows when going back and forth and its only were the right side meets on each pass. In my 30 years this is the best mower concept but has given me the worst reliability.

Thanks for the heads up I will def look at that. I have 350 hrs on mine(it's a 2008) and have had zero issues. I think cut quality when discharging is great, I am just disappointed with the mulching. In thick grass I just get too much blowout. I have used the stock blades and wavy exmarks. I think there is a little less with the wavys but not much. The plate leaves the dry clumps in the lawn so I have to go back and blow it out more than I would like. I guess there is just no such thing as the perfect machine.
Posted via Mobile Device

ArTurf
01-19-2012, 09:34 PM
OK

I have been trying to find the best setup to mulch. I have done a block-off plate with gators and full mulch kit with the stock Wright blades and the wavy exmarks.

The problems:
Plate-leaves the line on the side in growing season.
Kit-Blowout

I use one spacer on top of the blade during growing season. The mower is a 36" Fixed Deck Wright Stander.

Anyone have any special tricks so I can get rid of these problems? Thanks in advance.

FYI-I am cutting healthy vigorous St. Augustine lawns weekly.

I run a hustler XR7 with mulch kit and don't have a prob with thick St Aug. I do not like the wavy blades or notched. I just use a med or high lift with good results.

The spacer on top of the blade is probably contributing to the blow out. Try it without it. Why do you use a spacer?

unkownfl
01-19-2012, 09:35 PM
Have you adjusted the rake of the machine to see if it helps with the blow out?

Florida Gardener
01-19-2012, 09:36 PM
Have you adjusted the rake of the machine to see if it helps with the blow out?

Rake??
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
01-19-2012, 09:37 PM
pitch sorry.

Florida Gardener
01-19-2012, 09:51 PM
pitch sorry.

How exactly do you check that?
Posted via Mobile Device

ProMo
01-19-2012, 09:56 PM
with me mulching is the way to go, the wright is not the best but I will use it with kit until it dies and do a lot of demoing if I have to purchase another mower. I am trying to get out of that end and go into the application end.

unkownfl
01-19-2012, 10:45 PM
Measure your blades with them facing inline with how the mower would travel mowing. You should have around 1/4 of difference with the front of the blades being lower than the rear. I have 3/8 of an inch on my RH and don't really get any blow out that I notice mowing. Since you have a fixed deck you'll constantly have a different pitch if you're adjusting the casters for height. You will have to adjust at the blades to avoid this. I ran multiple fixed deck wrights and just learn to cut crappy lawns with blow out and set my pitch for the nicer lawns. I really hated adjusting the spindles for height. At least on the 36 there is only two. If this doesn't help go into the Wright section of this forum and address it with them. I can't remember blow out being a big deal with my 36.

Florida Gardener
01-19-2012, 10:52 PM
Measure your blades with them facing inline with how the mower would travel mowing. You should have around 1/4 of difference with the front of the blades being lower than the rear. I have 3/8 of an inch on my RH and don't really get any blow out that I notice mowing. Since you have a fixed deck you'll constantly have a different pitch if you're adjusting the casters for height. You will have to adjust at the blades to avoid this. I ran multiple fixed deck wrights and just learn to cut crappy lawns with blow out and set my pitch for the nicer lawns. I really hated adjusting the spindles for height. At least on the 36 there is only two. If this doesn't help go into the Wright section of this forum and address it with them. I can't remember blow out being a big deal with my 36.
How do you correct bad pitch?
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
01-20-2012, 11:44 AM
you can adjust your caster forks by the spacers or those arms bolted to the deck.

justanotherlawnguy
01-26-2012, 03:07 AM
eXmark mulch kit with eXmark mulching blades, works like magic!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
01-26-2012, 05:15 PM
I'm still not sure why your having those problems. My 36 has been run for years with no kit, just a plate. Gators in summer, flats in winter. Flat pitch as well. :usflag:

Florida Gardener
01-26-2012, 06:00 PM
Wright is sending me a piece that I guess is supposed to act like an anti blowout piece for free. I'm going to get this problem squared away bc I don't want to side discharge. I have both a plate and the kit, gator blades, standard and wavy exmark mulchers. I will get this worked out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Johnagain
01-26-2012, 08:39 PM
Diamond I read the other post where they will be sending you a blowout piece. They also said for you to weld the piece to the mower. Find a way to bolt that piece on rather than welding. If you weld it on and you don't like it then it would be much more difficult to remove.
I have a Ferris walk-behind that had the same problem and I bolted on a piece of 1.5*1.5 angle to the front of the deck and it really helped the blowout. You might also want to look at some closeup pictures of the deck on the Badboy outlaw. They have an adjustable baffle on the front of the deck that might help you.

Florida Gardener
01-26-2012, 08:45 PM
Diamond I read the other post where they will be sending you a blowout piece. They also said for you to weld the piece to the mower. Find a way to bolt that piece on rather than welding. If you weld it on and you don't like it then it would be much more difficult to remove.
I have a Ferris walk-behind that had the same problem and I bolted on a piece of 1.5*1.5 angle to the front of the deck and it really helped the blowout. You might also want to look at some closeup pictures of the deck on the Badboy outlaw. They have an adjustable baffle on the front of the deck that might help you.
Do you have the hydrocut? I just bought a 32" and bought the kit too....
Posted via Mobile Device

Johnagain
01-27-2012, 08:09 AM
I don't have a Hydrocut. I purchased a 48" old belt drive in Georgia from a guy on here for a backup mower.

Florida Gardener
01-27-2012, 08:42 AM
I don't have a Hydrocut. I purchased a 48" old belt drive in Georgia from a guy on here for a backup mower.

Oh ok maybe the hydrocut doesn't have that problem then.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
03-03-2012, 09:33 PM
Just a little update. I put all the spacers below the blades so they are as high up as they will go and that did help a lot. I've been cutting some tall St Aug the past couple weeks with only a little bit of blowout and little windrowing. I have been running the plate with gators. I think I'm going to run this setup spring-end of summer and the full kit in the winter for leaves.
Posted via Mobile Device

Day off?
03-23-2012, 12:08 AM
Just a little update. I put all the spacers below the blades so they are as high up as they will go and that did help a lot. I've been cutting some tall St Aug the past couple weeks with only a little bit of blowout and little windrowing. I have been running the plate with gators. I think I'm going to run this setup spring-end of summer and the full kit in the winter for leaves.
Posted via Mobile Device

I know this post is old... Better late than never. Are you mowing without the mulching kit but the discharge chute is covered? If so, I would not recommend doing that. All of the grass gets thrown to the right side of the deck, then stops. Your right blade and spindle will get over worked. If your chute is not open, then each blade needs to be enclosed.

easy-lift guy
03-23-2012, 06:42 AM
I use and have used a Vulture Mulcher kit for my mower, problems completely solved.
easy-lift guy

Patriot Services
03-23-2012, 02:39 PM
I know this post is old... Better late than never. Are you mowing without the mulching kit but the discharge chute is covered? If so, I would not recommend doing that. All of the grass gets thrown to the right side of the deck, then stops. Your right blade and spindle will get over worked. If your chute is not open, then each blade needs to be enclosed.

We've been working on Diamonds problem for a while now. We,both have the same setup. Gators can't be run with a full kit without creating too much blowout and actually flattening the grass down. Gators reduce clippings to almost powder so there is no build up under the deck.
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
03-23-2012, 03:50 PM
When I had my Fixed deck it had spacers, but the RH I have now doesn't have any spacers and it's the same spindles. Diamond, how did the baffle and mulch kit fit? Is it something that could bolt straight on and not have to force into place every time to get the bolts to line up? I'm getting a lot of wind rows now with just the plate but having the kit sucks when you don't need it or crossing concrete a lot dropping a load every time.

Florida Gardener
03-23-2012, 07:35 PM
When I had my Fixed deck it had spacers, but the RH I have now doesn't have any spacers and it's the same spindles. Diamond, how did the baffle and mulch kit fit? Is it something that could bolt straight on and not have to force into place every time to get the bolts to line up? I'm getting a lot of wind rows now with just the plate but having the kit sucks when you don't need it or crossing concrete a lot dropping a load every time.
The kit doesn't perfectly fit you have to finagle it. That is the problem with the full kit-blowout in thick St Augustine. I am going to run the plate with gators in summer and kit with med lift in winter. I agree that the wright mowers leave stragglers. They really need to re-design the smaller decks. Other than that it's a great mower.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
08-03-2012, 08:05 PM
Another update. Been running the plate with the stock wright blades and it has been working well. I think better than gators. I just can't run the full kit in summer, to much blowout and it's a messy blowout, different than the plate only. I do think the kit does better with leaves so around octoberish, the full kit will go back on. I do like having both though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
08-03-2012, 09:16 PM
Another update. Been running the plate with the stock wright blades and it has been working well. I think better than gators. I just can't run the full kit in summer, to much blowout and it's a messy blowout, different than the plate only. I do think the kit does better with leaves so around octoberish, the full kit will go back on. I do like having both though.
Posted via Mobile Device

I was wondering if you'd gotten it sorted out yet. My Wright is developing a thin spot on the front corner I will be patching soon. My gators wore out so I just put the highlifts back on with the plate. Seems to work just fine. Might fool around with more combos come fall.:usflag:

Florida Gardener
08-03-2012, 09:33 PM
I was wondering if you'd gotten it sorted out yet. My Wright is developing a thin spot on the front corner I will be patching soon. My gators wore out so I just put the highlifts back on with the plate. Seems to work just fine. Might fool around with more combos come fall.:usflag:
Yea, I've messed around with different blade setups with the plate only for now. The stock blades do work quite well with the plate and the kit. Discharge, id def use the gators.
Posted via Mobile Device