PDA

View Full Version : Cabbage palm removal?

cariboulou
01-21-2012, 12:01 AM
I've got a customer with a "cabbage palm" or I call it, palmetto bush in front of her home. I've cut all the frons off and tried to pull out with my truck with no luck. Any ideas on how to kill it chemically? Its like 3 or 4 small plants growing next to each other.

KrayzKajun
01-21-2012, 01:17 AM
Are u licensed to apply pesticides?

wildstarblazer
01-21-2012, 09:56 AM
just keep digging

cariboulou
01-21-2012, 11:00 AM
Was gonna try and cut down to ground level and drive 1/2 copper pipe couplers into stumps . Cant believe I couldn't pull it out with a F150 and chain! I may try digging but don't know how deep roots grow on these plants. My employee is licensed to spray round up and other non selective herbicide. Is there a chemical that will kill this other than waste oil?

wildstarblazer
01-21-2012, 11:19 AM
You could rent a stump grinder or hire a tree guy to do it. Forget chemicals. They take too long. Customers want results fast. The roots can't go too deep on them, there just a lot of them and there anchored good. It may have a strong tap root that's giving you a hard time.

tnwildcat
01-21-2012, 11:30 AM
Look into a super shovel. 15 inch all steel blade and handle. LOL you are in Sandy soil dig a little chop some roots. I would keep pressure on it as you dig at the roots. For safety you can use a come along with the chain and use the truck as an anchor. Put a blanket or heavy shirt across the chain it can save your life.

cariboulou
01-21-2012, 01:38 PM
thanks guys, i will take you up on that if homeowner want to pay the extra$ for manually digging and cutting roots. I never heard about the heavy blanket idea but that is a good one. I may take you up on that since ill be working right next to it under tension! thanks again!!