PDA

View Full Version : New Lawn Install with Irrigation

boohoo
11-25-2002, 07:42 AM
Just curious how you guys go about using a power rake on a rough graded site with a newly installed sprinkler system with heads everywhere>???? Do you guys ever destroy many heads while preparing the surface.?? 10000 sg ft level property rockhounded and hydro seeded ballpark price in your area>??

Green Pastures
11-25-2002, 09:05 AM
Why didn't you powerake before the sprinkler system was installed. I certainly would NOT do it now, you will most likely damage a few heads.

If I had to do it, I'd make sure to get in WRITITNG that I was not responsible for damage.

It's impossible to run a tractor or a skidsteer or whatever with a powerake attached to it and not do damage to a sprinkler system.

DaddyRabbit
11-25-2002, 03:36 PM
I always mark all of my heads w/flags so as not to knock them out of the ground. I always do a rough grade then do my irrigation install then the final grade comes last.

MPhillips
11-26-2002, 02:16 PM
In a perfect world it may have been better to power rake prioir to sprinkler install. I'd put stakes next to each head and any "high" spots in the line, and just stay away from heads and line as best you can with the power rake. I'd hand rake around the heads at this point. And honestly it's not the end of the world if you cut a head...you don't want to have to do it though, obviously...

I'm curious about the sod you're putting down this time of year...

Guido
11-26-2002, 02:43 PM
Like was said, perfect world, do it before. For whatever reason it wasn't done, so instead of being Monday morning Quarterbacks, find a way to get it done.

Stake (not little flags, big wooden stakes) around all the heads.

Don't hit them.

Easy as that.

Worst case you spend a few bucks to replace a head or two. Figure it into your cost.

Good Luck!

boohoo
11-26-2002, 06:00 PM
Around here its seems every second house has its Sprinkler system installed just after rough grade has been done. Hence need for marking Heads etc. Pain in the .......
Do you guys prefer Rockhound or Rake to prepare seed bed?

steveair
11-26-2002, 11:03 PM
Hello,

I would first make the situation clear to the client that, because of the fact they had the irrigation installed first, there may be damage done to the system.

I would do as others have said and mark all the heads, valve boxes, etc. first and then avoid them at all cost.

No matter what, I would charge extra money for the added work.

Also, probably a good idea to get in with a irrigation company if you currently do not have one. If you refer one/use one often, I've found they are willing to help you out.

Finally, don't sweat sprinkler systems! They really are 'cake' to fix. Most heads cost about $7 at a irrigation supplier. If you have a oppurtunity, go to a irrigation supply store and have them set you up with a 'quickee' repair kit.......

A few heads, some assorted pieces of poly pipe, pipe fittings (mainly 1" connectors), a torch, some quick clamps, and a pair of poly pipe cutters.........buy a nice tool box, and put them all in there. Most sprinkler system repairs are VERY EASY, and when you pay to have someone fix it, you will be saying to yourself "I could of done that".

steve

boohoo
11-28-2002, 08:59 PM
Have fixed hundreds of heads over the years so thats not a concern. Was just curious how many other guys come across lawn install jobs with irrigation already installed.