PDA

View Full Version : New Engine or New Truck?

DSLND
01-21-2012, 05:15 PM
My 99 Chevy 6.0L K2500 engine is about to go. Its banging and knocking like crazy and mechanic thinks it spun a bearing.

Its got 196k miles and has towed, pushed, pulled and driven all over the place. Its a good truck and I really would love to keep it.

Mechanic has offered me a great deal (IMO) on a new Jasper engine. Engine, installation, etc. for around $3k. Engine is warrantied and I've heard good things about Jaspers.

My thought is that as soon as I drop a new engine, the transmission will need attention, then the transfer case, and so on. By that point it will be to the point of go all the way and build myself a new truck or just replace it.

I've put a decent amount of money in the truck in the past year. Front end, water pump, oil pump, intake gasket, all brakes (pads, rotors, callapers), the uni mount setup for plow, shocks and within last two years it has had power steering pump, fuel pump, oil coolant lines, etc.

I would like to keep running the truck but I just hate to keep throwing money in it. I even thought about doing the engine and having the transmission rebuilt now (during winter) and just having one less thing to worry about. I can get transmission rebuilt for around $1500-1800.

Thoughts?

-Mitch-

CLARK LAWN
01-21-2012, 07:38 PM
Look around at local junk yards, you can probably find one with low miles to 500-700. Should take about 8-10 hours to swap them. That would be about half the cost of a new one. Probably less than half.
Posted via Mobile Device

ecurbthims
01-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Whats your truck worth in your area? I just got a friend an '02 chevy 2500 from an old man , 80,000 miles ,never worked for $3500.00 in great condition.

unkownfl
01-21-2012, 09:53 PM
Sell it how it is and buy a new truck.

Florida Gardener
01-21-2012, 10:07 PM
Sell it how it is and buy a new truck.

I agree. Maybe keep it and when you can afford it put some money in it to keep as a backup....you've already replaced a lot of stuff in it.
Posted via Mobile Device

integrityman
01-21-2012, 11:34 PM
Good thread.....

I'm afraid Ill be in a similar situation soon. My 01 has 165k+ on it....but stills seems to be going strong.

At what point do ya ditch your old beloved war horse???

Love my Chevy.... Been very, very reliable.

Keep the posts coming....

Florida Gardener
01-21-2012, 11:41 PM
Good thread.....

I'm afraid Ill be in a similar situation soon. My 01 has 165k+ on it....but stills seems to be going strong.

At what point do ya ditch your old beloved war horse???

Love my Chevy.... Been very, very reliable.

Keep the posts coming....

I think you toss it when a lot of big expenditures need to be done. If all you have to do are regular maintenance items and things that are say $500 or less, I would keep using it.
Posted via Mobile Device

ecurbthims
01-22-2012, 12:27 AM
its time to part ways when the truck is no longer reliable,is incapable of doing the job required,or the repairs cost is close to or greater than the trucks value.

PLS-Tx
01-22-2012, 01:30 AM
I vote for a new one.

09daxman
01-22-2012, 01:52 PM
Buy a new one and then sell this truck to me!

DSLND
01-22-2012, 03:22 PM
Everything that has been done to the truck in past few years have been regular wear parts.

2008- power steering pump
2009-fuel pump
2010-water pump, intake gasket, oil coolant lines
2011-oil pump, pan gasket, front end, new brakes (pads, rotors, callapers)

Truck is already setup for my uni mount blade, I've put about 100k miles on it since I bought it and its paid for. It was also my first truck I bought when I was 14, so it does have a little more importance to me than any other truck.

I think I'm going to go for a new Jasper engine. May wait a bit since winter is half over and we really haven't had the greatest winter....yet. lol

Appreciate all the replies

-Mitch-
Posted via Mobile Device

Lefet
01-22-2012, 03:50 PM
Another vote for a new one.
Gotta know when to put the war horses out to pasture.

PLS-Tx
01-22-2012, 04:33 PM
Everything that has been done to the truck in past few years have been regular wear parts.

2008- power steering pump
2009-fuel pump
2010-water pump, intake gasket, oil coolant lines
2011-oil pump, pan gasket, front end, new brakes (pads, rotors, callapers)

Truck is already setup for my uni mount blade, I've put about 100k miles on it since I bought it and its paid for. It was also my first truck I bought when I was 14, so it does have a little more importance to me than any other truck.

I think I'm going to go for a new Jasper engine. May wait a bit since winter is half over and we really haven't had the greatest winter....yet. lol

Appreciate all the replies

-Mitch-
Posted via Mobile Device

Good luck with it, let us know how it goes.

DSLND
01-22-2012, 07:50 PM
Still debating on what to do with the beast. I've thrown around the idea to sell it for what I can get out of it or go for the new engine and just keep building on the older truck.

This isn't my only truck so I don't solely rely on this truck. Its my backup/work truck and will be used as such after any repairs.

I compared the truck repair to having a payment and it comes out on top to keep repairing this truck.

Thanks for all the omments

-Mitch-

cutbetterthanyou
01-22-2012, 08:19 PM
cummins swap

meador56
01-23-2012, 11:20 PM
Easy decision buy 100k used for 1500 and if you can do an engine tranny combo for about 2200 plus install. Make sure to use rebuilt torque converter. jUST TRADED MY 01 GMC 2500hD for 2011 Chevy.

ADVANTEC LAWNS
01-24-2012, 04:00 PM
id say keep her, those were some of the best models produced,

zak406
01-24-2012, 04:32 PM
Get a new truck and keep this one as a back up. Replace the engine when you have the chance or the money..

mowerbrad
01-24-2012, 09:59 PM
When I had my 1998 GMC 2500 diesel, it was costing me a fortune to keep running well. The first couple years after I bought it were just the things that you would expect of an 8 year old truck, certain parts needed to be replaced. However, it just started to become a problem, every 3-4 months (which was everytime the oil was changed, about every 5000 miles) something was wrong with it. It eventually came to the point were it was breaking down between oil changes and just wasn't reliable enough for me to keep using. That was my first truck that I bought, was very proud of it and the work I had done to it myself. I thought it would be tough to get rid of it, but after having my new truck, I don't regret it at all. Sure it was "tough" to see the truck drive down the road with the guy I sold it to, but then I jumped in my new truck and couldn't have been happier.

How many miles are on your current truck? Depending on the mileage, would be the determining factor on whether or not to buy a newer truck or just keep repairing the old truck.

andersontl2
01-25-2012, 01:46 PM
Here's my two cents, I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 2wd with 225K, motor is good but will be going soon! Had the transmission rebuilt about 45 miles ago for $900, put on some new tires, shocks, basic little things that needed to be done. I look at repairs in relation to a car payment. Yes I had to put $900 into the transmission, but that was only two car payments, not 36 or 48 or even in some case's 72 of them at $500 a month. Yes the truck is old and ugly, but it runs good! and I drive it payment free 10 months out of the year!
Don't get me wrong I would love a new(er) truck but I will not buy anything anymore that I have to make payments on! So if the your motor needs replaced think of that $3000K as a payment for a few months! Then you get to drive it free for a few more years!
My vote is to keep it and replace the motor!

integrityman
01-25-2012, 02:10 PM
DSL-

The more I think on this....the more I like the idea of replacing or even upgrading the engine and tranny.

It sure beats a new truck payment.

If the frame hasnt started to rust.... Id keep it in service.

lets say you plug 4k into new engine and tranny.......& you squeeze another 5-8 years out of it. Its well worth it.

In that time frame too, I hope to see a lot more fuel efficient trucks out there.

APLUS LAWN CARE
01-25-2012, 02:19 PM
That is a tough decision to have to make but I think it would be best to keep truck. Economically, when you compare buying a new truck with the cost of keeping the old one, I think you would be ahead to keep the old one.

unkownfl
01-25-2012, 08:34 PM
I replace my trucks every three years at most some times 30 months. I know I'll always have a car payment and its factored in the business. If anything ever goes bad I call my Ford dealer and they have a loaner ready for me. I have two trucks so I replace one every year and half usually. It's nice being able to just jump in my truck and drive 300 miles to go get something and not worry about getting home.

GOOSEIDI
02-09-2012, 11:38 PM
A new truck is what, 30 grand baseline? If you have the cash or an account available, 10 grand and a real good shop, your current truck could have new engine, trans, and ANYTHING else mechanical fixed. The frame and the fit and finish of the exterior and interior should be your determining factors. Just my 2 cents

tread lightly services
02-10-2012, 12:13 AM
i vote used 6.0 form a salvage yard. can be bought from lkq auto parts for 800-1200

installed for 500 or less

sell your used engine on e bay for 350+ hot rodders love the 6.0l

those trucks are bulletproof i say keep the war horse, and get another 5 years out of it.

BlazersandWildcats2009
11-18-2014, 11:34 PM
i vote used 6.0 form a salvage yard. can be bought from lkq auto parts for 800-1200

those trucks are bulletproof i say keep the war horse, and get another 5 years out of it.

Funny you say that. I've looked into LKQ these past couple days about the same engine. They have a 6.0 with 137k on there right now for $1,300.00 I'm really flipping my coins on right now. I have 345k on my tired 6.0. It's going to cost me in the 4k range for a reman, rebuilt, or to even get in the ball park of another 6.0. If I could pick up another 6.0 with 137k and run it 200,000 miles out of it to where I'm at on my current 6.0, I'd say that's 13 100.00 bills very well spent that didn't go on a truck payment. $1,300.00 would only pay 3-4 truck payments. I couldn't cover anywhere near 200,000 miles in 3-4 months, so it almost seems as if it would be money well spent, but I'm still tossing up the idea of just going with a brand new engine. Trying to out weight the cost vs the benefits.

BlazersandWildcats2009
11-19-2014, 12:08 AM
Another view from it sideways, this is how I'm looking at also.

Consider it a good thing you drive a Chevy, not only are the engines tough, they aren't terribly expensive to replace. A brand new 6.0 for my year model, I'm looking at $3,500.00 give or take a few dollars.

http://www.gmonlineparts.com/part/19301554.html

Time I throw in a new quality AC Delco Water Pump/Thermostat, new Battery, starter, spark plugs, plug wires, and alternator which I don't "HAVE" to have, I'm looking at $4,000.00 to have one reliable rig.

My current engine lasted me 10 years, averaging 34,000 miles per year. Granted I don't put near that amount of miles on her today, most of those miles were traveling between Texas and Tennessee monthly. My area is very populated, my route is less than 35 miles per day. Let's say this brand new 6.0 only lasts me 200,000 miles with good maintenance and decides to blow up. Then let's be realistic, my longest route is 35 miles per day, but let's factor in store runs, dealer runs, this and that, and say I average out at 60 miles a day, which isn't very likely being that all my properties are within a 15 minute drive of my driveway. Even at double my daily average, that brand new 6.0 should last me around 9-11 years, give or take. For a total cost of $4k for the new engine, water pump, thermostat, starter, alternator, and battery. At an average of 15 properties per day, let's say you bring in $475.00. It's costing me less than 10 days of work for an engine that has at (Bare Minimum) 7-years of service in it maintained. i say find you an engine.

205mx
11-19-2014, 12:36 AM
Seems young to die on you. . .

Tennesseepowerstroke
11-19-2014, 01:18 AM

I would careful buying a 6.0 that I did not know the history of unless I had extra money to spend for heads, gaskets, oil coolers or an EGR cooler. It is a good engine if maintained from the get go.

bbdlawnscapes
11-19-2014, 02:18 AM
I've always found the math to work out in favor of repairing rather than replacing. It is the hassle is where I get my "value" out of a vehicle. On top of that, there is just something about a truck without a payment that just drives and feels a lot better when I am in it. There's my 2 cents.

windflower
11-19-2014, 03:49 AM
I had the same decision years ago. Opted for engine replacement. I'd already done a lot of repairs and that was basically the last one. Truck ran good for another 10 years with very little additional work.