PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed trailer with side ramp option for mowing?

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-21-2012, 05:58 PM
Have been getting some pricing on a 7x14' enclosed trailer. All the std stuff needed for mowing ops. I also have been getting quotes for an option 4 or 5' side ramp so I can get my 36" WB/21"/Permagreen out the side door without unloading my Z out the back ramp. Looks like on avg an extra $300 will get the side ramp.

My question is this, for guys that run enclosed's, will I really use/value that side ramp option? Or will it be more of a pain than it is worth? I can see value in unloading my smaller machines, but to go and grab a trimmer, etc and have to drop the door down, is it more trouble that it would be worth?

Hope this makes sense. Its not that it costs so much more, but I don't ignorantly want to make my trailer funky to use.

djagusch
01-21-2012, 06:07 PM
The ramp to unload a mower or pg makes sense. To use it to grab a trimmer/blower no, I would think the rear ramp would still be open and just use that.

The negative of a side ramp is wall space, you lose some. Do you have enough on the one side? Most likely.
Posted via Mobile Device

mowerbrad
01-21-2012, 06:22 PM
Have you thought of having the side ramp installed on the passenger side (like you are planning) and then have a standard door installed on the driver side? That would give you easy access into the trailer without having to drop a ramp. It would be a little extra money obviously, but it may be worth it if you want the convenience of a side ramp and still have quick and easy access to the trailer.

j-ville native
01-21-2012, 06:38 PM
Have you thought of having the side ramp installed on the passenger side (like you are planning) and then have a standard door installed on the driver side? That would give you easy access into the trailer without having to drop a ramp. It would be a little extra money obviously, but it may be worth it if you want the convenience of a side ramp and still have quick and easy access to the trailer.

i second that notion

clc19chase
01-21-2012, 07:07 PM
side ramps are priceless. had one for 7 years and couldnt do without it. passenger side ramp and driver side entry door. if you special order your trailer you can build it the way you want it. I have the dovetail deleted in mine also.

scagman52
01-22-2012, 08:38 AM
DA...Have you considered when you pull up to the job where will the side door land? If I had the side door it would be more of a pain because ithe door when opened would be on the spot where I have to mow & trim.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-22-2012, 12:29 PM
DA...Have you considered when you pull up to the job where will the side door land? If I had the side door it would be more of a pain because ithe door when opened would be on the spot where I have to mow & trim.

True....that is why I am soliciting comments on this matter. So far, kind of a mixed bag.....

djagusch
01-22-2012, 03:36 PM

That happens but remember he is using it for a 21, 36 wb, and pg. All 3 you can easily hop off and lift the door back up to mow that area.
Posted via Mobile Device

Southscapes03
01-22-2012, 05:04 PM
well i finally worked out of mine last week and love it. The side door or ramp either one has to be opened to get trimmers and stuff out anyway. I put my trimmers on the front V nose wall standing up, so we just have the ramp open for the walker and can get to the trimmers easlily even if the walker is still in its place. as for the price of the door, that sounds about right, mine was that much to add to the trailer and i added another 6 inches to mine to make sure that i didn't bang the side of the trailer when backing the walker in. I opted out of the driver side man door since my walker would be setting in the way of that door anyway. And again, i will post pics as soon as the weather clears around here, I had my camera last week but I took one picture and the battery died:hammerhead:

clc19chase
01-22-2012, 05:36 PM
some properties we will drop side ramp in the street and set a cone out. depends on how much traffic. if you have the assist spring adjusted right its little to no effort getting it up, just the hassle of getting off a mower.

yardguy28
01-22-2012, 06:07 PM

well since the door raises and lowers really easily its called lower it to unload then raise it up while working and lower it back down to load. not that hard and doesn't take that much extra time.

is there a law that says once the ramp is down it has to stay down until the work is finished?

now to DA.....

personally i don't think the side door is all that great. but that depends on your properties.

on most of my properties i have to get the 52" off to mow part of it anyway. so i do that first then since the 52" is already off the trailer i now have access to my 36" or 21" for the rest.

there are a few properties where i strictly use the 21 incher in which a side ramp would be nice but not so many that i would do it.

my trimmer rack is mounted on the passenger side towards the back so to get to trimmers and edgers i go through the back. i keep my blower up by the side door.

Southscapes03
01-24-2012, 06:59 PM
this is all I have for now, I will get more interior pics tomorrow

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-24-2012, 08:21 PM
That there is a slick trailer my friend. I think you mentioned b/f but who is the mfg?
5' side ramp? Also is that a Dakota pulling the rig? If so, what engine do you have in your Dakota and how does it pull a loaded trailer (18'?)
I will also be running a Dakota with a 4.7 with a 14' enclosed.

Southscapes03
01-24-2012, 08:34 PM
its an 18' made by Covered Wagon Trailers out of Georgia. The truck is a 2011 Ram 2500 CTD with the manual 6 speed trans with all deletes:cool2:
The side door is 66" to ensure that i didnt hit the sides of the trailer while backing my walker into its slot!

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Sorry yes I now see it is a Ram not Dakota.

Southscapes03
01-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Here are a few interior pics, I still have a few things to get on the walls, but you can see the general layout that im going for

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-25-2012, 08:35 PM
Nice, lots of space for stuff?
Wouldn't you want to put your 21 up front more, to run it out the side ramp?
Also, did you find it more convenient to mount your trimmers up front, or did you consider mounting near the rear ramp door also?

dig419
01-25-2012, 09:02 PM
southscapes03, a very smart set up. i should say a professional set up. question, your set up is 18' have you always had the 18' or is this a up grade?

Southscapes03
01-25-2012, 09:59 PM
I mostly use my walker so the side door is the one that will be worked out of mostly and thats why everything is geared more up front. As for the 21, I rarely use it as well, so its at the back. I never liked having the trimmers on the walls horizontally and having to walk all sideways and knocking your head on it so thats when I got the idea to put them on the front wall vertically. They are very easy to get to and out of the way of any walking around the rest of the trailer.

As for the 18' trailer, my last trailer was a 16' gooseneck trailer, so the length wasn't an issue to get used do. The hardest part is dealing with not being able to see all that much behind you when in a parking lot and having to back up, but other than that, im pretty used to hauling large loads!!!

Thanks for the positive comments