PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Options

Mikegyver
01-21-2012, 10:46 PM
I am looking at some different options for a new trailer sometime this spring.
My options are
1. ??x 16' Wrapped Enclosed trailer. No idea on cost. Not sure on size yet.
2. 77"x16' Landscape trailer, 4' expanded sides, 4x6-8 aluminum signs on each side (custom printed for advertising), side gate, racks, lockbox, etc.
Which is the better option? The enclosed trailer seems to be heavier than the open trailer. I am leaning towards the landscape trailer for better versatility. I.e. hauling mulch, branches, etc. Also I feel like I can get better mileage with a open trailer. I haul 2 Zs or 1 Z and a walkbehind. Plus handhelds etc.
I would want brakes on at least one axle. Standard 2" hitch. Nothing super fancy.
Price wise what am I looking at for either option? I cannot seem to find a whole lot of prices online.

SouthSide Cutter
01-22-2012, 06:28 AM
Up here the enclosed 3500-4500. On the open around 2000. But I would get a 18ft and brakes on both axles. I bought a PJ 18ft with side ramp for 2400. Also I dont like high sides. If I haul anything like gravel or mulch I put plywood sides on. The high sides make it to hard to get on and off from the sides. My axles are pretty light for what I carry. Going to change them out for larger ones. If i bought a new one and carry two Z's I would get nothing less than 10000lb axles.

michael14
01-22-2012, 12:33 PM
It depends on your area if it's rough or big city the enclosed is best but if thieves aren't a problem I'd go open
Posted via Mobile Device

S-205
01-22-2012, 12:59 PM
Up here the enclosed 3500-4500. On the open around 2000. But I would get a 18ft and brakes on both axles. I bought a PJ 18ft with side ramp for 2400. Also I dont like high sides. If I haul anything like gravel or mulch I put plywood sides on. The high sides make it to hard to get on and off from the sides. My axles are pretty light for what I carry. Going to change them out for larger ones. If i bought a new one and carry two Z's I would get nothing less than 10000lb axles.

Z-turn mowers aren't that heavy, my Lazer is about 1100 lbs. So if you had two of them and two 3500 lb axles you still have plenty of weight left over. You don't need an 8000lb payload to haul to 1000lb mowers. Of course upgrading to bigger axles might be a good a idea for the odd time you carry something heavy, but two 3500lb axles should be absolutely fine for hauling two mowers and whatever else you have.

Mikegyver
01-22-2012, 04:03 PM
Why brakes on both axles? Thanks for the feedback. Theft is not too bad...you can leave handhelds in the back of the truck with out any issues as long as you are in the vicinity I.E. not in walmart or anything. Right now I have an open trailer with racks and a lock box.
No need for 10k of payload. I don't have a truck that can haul that much (when I get one later this spring it will still only have 8k towing). Plus the mileage would stink. Shoot with that kind of rating I would get a gooseneck 20'. Right now the lighter the better. I usually have around 3500lbs in equipment.
Mike

S-205
01-22-2012, 04:13 PM
I like the capabilities of an open trailer myself. The versatility to haul whatever you need to is nice. Do you want to buy a new or used trailer because open trailers on the used market are quite reasonable. Its fairly easy to find a good deal and put a little work into it (electrical and some paint)

Mikegyver
01-22-2012, 10:19 PM
I really don't care either way. New would be nice but finding one cheaper thats used would be good. Wiring and all would not be a problem but painting all that expanded metal would be a major pain.
What do y'all think about the aluminum sign on the sides of the trailer? What size is too big?