PDA

View Full Version : need opinion on bid

bigkid
01-22-2012, 01:45 AM
I have the opportunity to bid on mowing for a large campground. The whole property is 114 acres with about 60 mowable acres do to all the campsites and cabins which are all stone. The owners said that to keep costs down they want all objects that you would normally need to trim around to be sprayed with weed kill except for around trees. Mowing is to be done during the week only, no weekend or holidays allowed. They want the spraying to be listed as a sperate line item and billed per application. The reason i need help is because of the other bids that they claim they are getting. (The reason they gave me info about other bids is because i have done a lot of excavating work for them and they say they really want me to take over the mowing) They say that they have had other bids come in around 25-30 an acre for mowing, and spraying would be 750 per application. I think the mowing price is to low as i was thinking more like 45 an acre for mowing. i wasn't as sure about spraying because i would be subbing that part out but that seemed low as well. Are my prices high and need to come down some or are the others low and i stay where i am . Thanks in advance to all those that respond.

orangemower
01-22-2012, 09:15 AM
I have the opportunity to bid on mowing for a large campground. The whole property is 114 acres with about 60 mowable acres do to all the campsites and cabins which are all stone. The owners said that to keep costs down they want all objects that you would normally need to trim around to be sprayed with weed kill except for around trees. Mowing is to be done during the week only, no weekend or holidays allowed. They want the spraying to be listed as a sperate line item and billed per application. The reason i need help is because of the other bids that they claim they are getting. (The reason they gave me info about other bids is because i have done a lot of excavating work for them and they say they really want me to take over the mowing) They say that they have had other bids come in around 25-30 an acre for mowing, and spraying would be 750 per application. I think the mowing price is to low as i was thinking more like 45 an acre for mowing. i wasn't as sure about spraying because i would be subbing that part out but that seemed low as well. Are my prices high and need to come down some or are the others low and i stay where i am . Thanks in advance to all those that respond.

Do you know what your cost of doing business would be for the mowers and employee's? Seems like you're just guessing at a price and don't really know what you "need" to make just to break even. Let alone make profit on the job. You said you "think" $750 is to low of a price yet you sub that type of work out to another company. So how do you know that price is low?

bigkid
01-22-2012, 01:40 PM
Do you know what your cost of doing business would be for the mowers and employee's? Seems like you're just guessing at a price and don't really know what you "need" to make just to break even. Let alone make profit on the job. You said you "think" $750 is to low of a price yet you sub that type of work out to another company. So how do you know that price is low?

Sorry if i made it sound like i have no idea how to do an estimate or what my expenses are. I have all of that figured out but this job is something totally different than anything i have ever done. I have done residential and big commercial properties but to me those were more straight forward. A campground has so many variables to it because of all the individual campsites and cabins. There are a few wide open common areas but generally speaking it's very broken up so i was hoping someone that has done something like this before would be able to help. The help with the per acre pricing was because i have never seen pricing that low per acre, but as i said i never bid on a campground either. The spraying price i said seemed low was based on what i paid guys in the past to spray commercial properties. I have paid that much for spraying cracks in sidewalks and blacktop on properties that were half this size. I do have a call in to the guy i used last year but i figured in the meantime i would throw that out their to. Sorry for the long post and i hope that helps clear things up a bit.

Bunton Guy
01-22-2012, 04:13 PM
It sounds very time consuming bringing large mowers in and out of camp sites. More so when there are campers present (great danger)

I would bid by the hour never by the acre. Each acre of that property poses different challenges...so all in all I don't think its fair to you to try to make each acre priced even. Since its not all flat wide open land to mow $45 sounds WAY to low (personally)

Wide open we can do about 3.5-4.5 acres per hour per mower with my guys. Get into tight spots in camp grounds and that might turn into 1 acre per hour. Any string trimming around campers,rocks,trees,creeks etc..?

bigkid
01-22-2012, 06:19 PM
It sounds very time consuming bringing large mowers in and out of camp sites. More so when there are campers present (great danger)

I would bid by the hour never by the acre. Each acre of that property poses different challenges...so all in all I don't think its fair to you to try to make each acre priced even. Since its not all flat wide open land to mow $45 sounds WAY to low (personally)

Wide open we can do about 3.5-4.5 acres per hour per mower with my guys. Get into tight spots in camp grounds and that might turn into 1 acre per hour. Any string trimming around campers,rocks,trees,creeks etc..?

Yes string trimming will be required but it will be greatly reduced because of the spraying that they have requested be done around all objects except for trees. You are correct about the great danger due to all the campers that will be present. In fact that is something that is in their terms and conditions that all guards must be on equipment at all times and i hate having guards on mowers and trimmers but i will learn to deal with that.

As for the mowing not being straight forward you are correct and that was my concern from the first time i looked at the site. the spacing is so tight between the cabins that they have that you would probably have to use a 21" mower. And Because all the stuff coming out of the ground such as poles for electric, and water bbq pit and fire rings the area between individual campsites would need to be done with a combination of 21" push mower and 48" walk behind. It's deffinitely a different challenge when it comes to bidding thats for sure. The lady i spoke with said that they prefer only 2 or 3 wokers on site so thats another thing to think about. According to her the company last year had 2 guys doing it and it took them 3-4 days.

orangemower
01-22-2012, 07:11 PM
If the site is anything like the campgrounds I've been too, I'd probably pass. Some areas you'll be blowing huge clouds of dust, not good when someone is camping and has food on the table eating. I'd see to it you lost the job for something like that.

bigkid
01-22-2012, 08:20 PM
If the site is anything like the campgrounds I've been too, I'd probably pass. Some areas you'll be blowing huge clouds of dust, not good when someone is camping and has food on the table eating. I'd see to it you lost the job for something like that.

your right i would be upset to but that is their reasoning for only having 2 or 3 guys mowing at a time. They break the whole campground into thirds or quarters and you only mow one area per day. Every camper gets a form stating what day of the week each area is to be done with exceptions due to weather of course. Also all of the campsites are stone and the campground staff is responsible for spraying any grass in the stone and just beyond so you don't have to mow over stone. Like i said i tried to think of things like this and i think i covered most of the little details it's just the pricing that i am trying to nail down but not many people have experience mowing something like this.

orangemower
01-23-2012, 08:52 AM
Definitely go with a per hour quote.

bigkid
01-24-2012, 12:24 AM
if i was to bid the job per hour it would work out to be about the same as a per acre quote. The per acre price would be 2700.00 per cut and the per hour price would be 2400.00 per cut assuming approximately 30hrs for 2 men. Going by the numbers from the other companies they are coming in at 1500-1800 per cut. The place demands proof of liability and workers comp insurance so these other companies have to be legit, so how can they afford to do it for such a low price. What am i missing ?

Landrus2
01-24-2012, 11:59 AM
if i was to bid the job per hour it would work out to be about the same as a per acre quote. The per acre price would be 2700.00 per cut and the per hour price would be 2400.00 per cut assuming approximately 30hrs for 2 men. Going by the numbers from the other companies they are coming in at 1500-1800 per cut. The place demands proof of liability and workers comp insurance so these other companies have to be legit, so how can they afford to do it for such a low price. What am i missing ?

If you got the right equipment in place bid
If you have to go buy equipment for this job walk away
:waving::waving:

bigkid
01-24-2012, 12:44 PM
equipment is not a problem so i will go ahead and submit the bid and see what happens. If one of the other companies get it at the price they bid then more power to them. It's a big place and a big risk of damage due to all the obstacles and i can't see doing it for next to nothing. I appreciate all the help from everyone on here that responded.

bigkid
02-02-2012, 11:51 AM
well i got a call from the campground manager and it turns out my bid was a little high so they are going with someone else pending he has proof of workmans comp and liability insurance. My price for mowing, trimming and blowing off all sidewalks and blacktop was 2400.00 which came out to 40 per acre. I didn't really want to go that low but then i thought about how much the trimming would be reduced because they let you spray around everything except the trees. The price for spraying which i was subbing out was 850 per application and he said each application should last for about 3-4 months. I thought the bid was fair for mowing 60-70 acres especially with all the obstacles to mow around and the high rish of mowing around all those people and expensive campers. It leaves me wondering if dropping to 35 an acre would have won it for me.What do you guys think ?