PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a trailer ramp?

mikeclfc
01-22-2012, 10:01 PM
I just got a steal on a 16ft trailer, the catch is it doesnt have a tailgate ramp, like my old 8ft trailer did. I want to add a ramp of some kind that is going to enable me to unload and load my equiptment quickly, i have been quoted some hefty prices on getting a tailgate installed by the local trailer dealer. before i pay out i was just wondering if there was anyone using a setup without a trailer tailgate and/or if peope were using detachable ramps and how they found the speed of unloading/loading?

any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

andersontl2
01-23-2012, 02:57 PM
I had an old 5 x 10 that I had an old welder build me one for $250 bucks, took him about 5 days and it was better than anything store bought! I just looked around on craigslist and the penny shopper and found a guy that did that type of stuff!
Paid him half down other half when done!
Good Luck...

jaybow
01-23-2012, 05:42 PM
If you have one built, get it 5' tall instead of 4' so you equipment won't scrape when loading/ unloading
Posted via Mobile Device

S-205
01-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Agreed on the 5 foot ramp idea. I think most people often use what comes on the trailer. My 6x12 ramp comes. There are tabs on the gate with holes drilled out and tabs on the trailer itself, one with a protruding hole and one with a "U" shaped drillout. So you lift it out of the you and slide it out of the hole. That seems to work okay for us, we don't take it off too often.

tyler_mott85
01-23-2012, 08:39 PM
I've always wanted to make custom gates for my future trailers It would still be 4 foot but instead of being straight or having a "beaver tail" the whole thing would be a arched shape. So when you first start moving equipment onto the gate from the ground it would be steaper and would gradually level out when you get up to the trailer height.

jaybow
01-23-2012, 08:43 PM
If it was steep at the entrance the tail end of a lot of zero turns would scrape the ground.
Posted via Mobile Device

wglyons
02-03-2012, 11:22 AM
What idea did you end up with? I just bought a used 16X7 enclosed trailer with barn doors yesterday and have been racking my brain trying to figure out the ramp issue. Any ideas would be appreciated...

Greg