PDA

View Full Version : Local guy wants help with 10 accounts?

Tha5150
01-24-2012, 01:16 PM
a guy locally on craigslist has 10 res accounts and 2 commercial; possibly 1 more Feb 1st. He is looking for someone to split everything in hopes to grow his business. They need to have equipment and reliable transportation.

So i called him, seems like an ok guy. I have my own equipment; just got this past weekend in trade for a boat. So i am ready to go get some accounts around the neighborhood for the weekends and work my 9-5 mon - fri. Hopefully i will have my own business soon but not rushing it.

With that said, i told him i would love to help out on Saturdays and or Sundays for a few hours to help get a commercial account or 2 done in less time and more time to relax. waiting to hear back.

thing is, should i be worried or skeptical about anything? should i have him pay me that day since they are his accounts and he is paid directly or should i wait the 2 weeks type of deal?

Nick's Lawn Care
01-24-2012, 04:46 PM
Have your attorney write up a contract! Trust me! I did some sub work for a "friend" of mine in the irrigation business and he screwed me out of a few thousand dollars.

Tha5150
01-24-2012, 04:55 PM
And if i have no attorney? Is there a general form i could find online?

while on this subject, is there a general form online i could download to use as a service agreement for new clients?

OneLineAtATime
01-29-2012, 12:22 PM
Contract a must.. Ask to be paid at the end of the day in till you guys build trust. I have lost many friends and still to date have 20k out from sub work

DaveyBlue32
02-02-2012, 12:02 AM
Another thing is really know what you and your equipment is worth an hour...Make sure your tools are making there hourly money's and if I were you I would keep those funds in a savings account or something for the day something dies. I started using this simple system awhile back and my new multi-tool and blower came out of that "made" money. It helps keep you aware of what things cost to run too. If a hand blower will do, why run a backpack...save the hours of use for fall clean-up or what have you. Lastly, there are classes at comm. college's and arboretums on plant identification and care, you should check those out...It's reassuring to your customers when you know which tree that is or what kind of shrub's those are. This is a great business, Good luck and God Bless.

OneLineAtATime
02-02-2012, 08:35 AM
Another thing is really know what you and your equipment is worth an hour...Make sure your tools are making there hourly money's and if I were you I would keep those funds in a savings account or something for the day something dies. I started using this simple system awhile back and my new multi-tool and blower came out of that "made" money. It helps keep you aware of what things cost to run too. If a hand blower will do, why run a backpack...save the hours of use for fall clean-up or what have you. Lastly, there are classes at comm. college's and arboretums on plant identification and care, you should check those out...It's reassuring to your customers when you know which tree that is or what kind of shrub's those are. This is a great business, Good luck and God Bless.

well said..
Posted via Mobile Device

Tha5150
02-02-2012, 09:49 AM
yes, very well put, thanks for the advice. I have a call with him this weekend to discuss things further. We have both been very busy lately.

As for the blower you mentioned, thats in the shop on a recall and by the time that is done, i should have my company name figured out and business cards made.

DaveyBlue32
02-02-2012, 08:52 PM
yes, very well put, thanks for the advice. I have a call with him this weekend to discuss things further. We have both been very busy lately.

As for the blower you mentioned, thats in the shop on a recall and by the time that is done, i should have my company name figured out and business cards made.

Just wondering ...what are you mowing with?

Tha5150
02-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Don't have any accounts so I am mowing nothing. But I have a 44" Dixie chopper just waiting
Posted via Mobile Device

TheBetterDoorhanger
02-02-2012, 10:00 PM
You mentioned needing cards made I Just wanted to say if you are looking for a printer to make your business cards let us know. We work with a lot of lawn care business owners and understand the needs of small businesses since we are one too! We can add our one of a kind Stick-It product to the back of your cards and your customer can stick them right to the front of their fridge, computer, car dash or almost anywhere. It increases your ROI because your card can always be in view. Furthermore, If you add Band-It you can turn your business card into a cool door hanger killing two birds with one stone! Take a look at the video that explains it all & scroll down on this page for our incredible prices. :)
http://www.adeasprinting.com/?q=business-cards

Robin Christopherson
A'DEAS Printing
Home of Band-It & Stick-It® Products
www.AdeasPrinting.com
robin@adeasprinting.com
(316) 269-2494 ext. 200
(866) 251-3181 fax
719 S. St. Francis
Wichita, KS 67211

BPS##
02-05-2012, 09:34 PM
a guy locally on craigslist has 10 res accounts and 2 commercial; possibly 1 more Feb 1st. He is looking for someone to split everything in hopes to grow his business. They need to have equipment and reliable transportation.

So i called him, seems like an ok guy. I have my own equipment; just got this past weekend in trade for a boat. So i am ready to go get some accounts around the neighborhood for the weekends and work my 9-5 mon - fri. Hopefully i will have my own business soon but not rushing it.

With that said, i told him i would love to help out on Saturdays and or Sundays for a few hours to help get a commercial account or 2 done in less time and more time to relax. waiting to hear back.

thing is, should i be worried or skeptical about anything? should i have him pay me that day since they are his accounts and he is paid directly or should i wait the 2 weeks type of deal?

I can think of so many ways this would go horribly wrong, in the mean time damaging your company's reputation before you even get it off the ground.
My answer would not be NO, it would be HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Get you own customers, it'll work out so much better.

Tell this other guy to get his own equipment.

If a hand blower will do, why run a backpack...save the hours of use for fall clean-up or what have you.

Lastly, there are classes at comm. college's and arboretums on plant identification and care, you should check those out...It's reassuring to your customers when you know which tree that is or what kind of shrub's those are. This is a great business, Good luck and God Bless.

Point 1 very bad advice. If a broom will do there is no need to buy a blower. With this mindset your business will stay very small for a very long time.

Point two, good advice. One that I need to improve on.

Tha5150
02-06-2012, 09:25 AM
OK...

I will find a template somewhere or if someone has, please share.

I will make sure to do this in case of something not going right. The thing is, he posted that he was looking for someone to split everything with, expenses, income, ect ect. so i Wonder how all this would work.

I look at it like, several hours on the weekend for some extra cash. In no way am i wanting to join business with this guy. I agree i need my own lawns. But on the weekends when i am not working my day job, this would be a good way to get used to my equipment and make some money on the side. . .

BPS##
02-06-2012, 10:23 AM
OK...

I will find a template somewhere or if someone has, please share.

I will make sure to do this in case of something not going right. The thing is, he posted that he was looking for someone to split everything with, expenses, income, ect ect. so i Wonder how all this would work.

I look at it like, several hours on the weekend for some extra cash. In no way am i wanting to join business with this guy. I agree i need my own lawns. But on the weekends when i am not working my day job, this would be a good way to get used to my equipment and make some money on the side. . .

Why not do a little advertising and pick up your own customers? Then you'll keep all the profit. With this "profit sharing" I'm not seeing where you'll be making any money.
Get your own customers and you'll get used to your equipment and make more money than you ever will sharing the pot with this guy. Your customers or his you'll be getting used to your equipment all the same.

I see no benefit to working this guy's customers.

Tha5150
02-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Just figured that until i get my own accounts, i could make some money in the mean time. Like help with a big commercial account on a Saturday or something.

Lighthouse Lawncare
02-08-2012, 01:36 AM
Tha5150,

I had a 21" walk behind (I know, same ol story) and a bad trimmer. I created a website went to every free local posting site (Yahoo Local, Google Places... etc.) and put out a total of $7.99/month for the website with Intuit.com. I enhanced my listing for another 14.95 a month and started www.lighthouse-lawncare-tacoma.com in 04/2011, in Oct I had 34 customers. 15 were seasonal and I still have 19.

If you are going to go into business, I say "JUST DO IT"

rawtism
02-08-2012, 12:35 PM

Hello young man. I think that once you complete the job in full, you should get paid right then; but if the company has a professional payroll schedule that they follow, just make sure that you have a contract that will insure your exact pay day and procedures to them paying you in full.

rawtism
02-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Hello young man. I think that once you complete the job in full, you should get paid right then; but if the company has a professional payroll schedule that they follow, just make sure that you have a contract that will insure your exact pay day and procedures to them paying you in full.

Tha5150
02-08-2012, 12:52 PM
being fair here, how many clients were snow related? here in Florida its lawns only

and thats a GREAT turn around in 6 months man! congrats!!! i hope/plan on being there soon. meanwhile keeping my day job salary based to keep the money for things.

Tha5150,

I had a 21" walk behind (I know, same ol story) and a bad trimmer. I created a website went to every free local posting site (Yahoo Local, Google Places... etc.) and put out a total of $7.99/month for the website with Intuit.com. I enhanced my listing for another 14.95 a month and started www.lighthouse-lawncare-tacoma.com in 04/2011, in Oct I had 34 customers. 15 were seasonal and I still have 19.

If you are going to go into business, I say "JUST DO IT"

wildwood 1
02-08-2012, 10:50 PM
Like somebody else said, Know what your time and your equipment is worth. Are you going to be covered under his insurance? Does he have insurance? If it were me, and I had a contract in place so I wouldn't get burned, I would charge a minimum of $45.00 per hour or maybe 65% of the job to use my equipment and transportation. When it's all said and done, he'll still have his customers and you will be on your own. When I am mowing, I average about $75-$80 per hour including travel time and other distractions, and I get 100% of the job. Remember that he is the one seeking help. I don't know what the pricing structure is in Florida, but that is what I would ask for in CT. I agree with others, though, who advised you to just go for it and get some customers of your own. You will be in a happier place. Good Luck.
p.s. I wouldn't set foot on his properties if he doesn't have insurance.

Tha5150
02-09-2012, 09:07 AM
After all these comments i will stay away from this. Thanks for the info and some very valid points have been made.

andyslawncare
02-09-2012, 08:48 PM
find your own accounts. If you work with that guy you need a good contract.... You are more or less a subcontractor on the job, and trust takes time to gain.