PDA

View Full Version : Poinsettia's?

RwADesigner
11-25-2002, 01:50 PM
Any of you guys sell poinsettia's during christmas time?

It is the #1 selling plant in the USA every year. They sell like hot cakes down here. Thinking about starting to sell them.

kris
11-25-2002, 07:02 PM
We grow thousands of them (around 26 I think). Sell wholesale but mainly retail ... It's a beautiful sight in the greenhouses this time of year ... I'll take some pics tomorrow for you. Do a search on the poinsettia ... there is a little bit of info from last year.
Here is a pic from last year.
First true Burgandy-Purple poinsettia..named "Plum Pudding

RwADesigner
11-25-2002, 07:42 PM
Kris,

Do yall sell many of them during christmas time?

kris
11-25-2002, 07:51 PM
All of them.

kris
11-26-2002, 05:25 PM
pics

kris
11-26-2002, 05:27 PM
sorry about that .. here is a pic

kris
11-26-2002, 05:29 PM
I like these ones ....red and white

kris
11-26-2002, 05:34 PM
some are put in baskets

Lanelle
11-26-2002, 09:22 PM
I'm looking closely at that basket of evergreens with the bright pink poinsettia----is that my name on the tag?:D

I'd love to see how its put together. I would think that walking through that house would lift everyone's spirit regardless of how dark and short the day might be.

Thanks for sharing.

kris
11-26-2002, 09:29 PM
Lanelle ...if I thought it would ship ok ... Id send it to ya!

We have some gals that do awesome work putting those together ...same ones that do annual pots in the spring ..just seem to have a magic touch to them.

RwADesigner
12-03-2002, 01:57 PM
Kris,

Man, you have a very nice setup! I hope to one day have a setup like that. So i must compliment you on a job well done!

Would you mind if i emailed you later for some tips and information on starting something like you have right there?

gus

kris
12-03-2002, 07:22 PM
Gus ... thanks but I can't take any credit for it ... it was started almost 40 years ago as a road side stand and has turned into almost 5 acres of covered greenhouses. What you see in the one pic is one house of many.... my office looks out into that one. I am in Landscaping ..run totally separate. Write me and I ll send you our web addy ...lots of info on it ... i'll try and get any answers to questions you might have.

Stonehenge
12-03-2002, 08:02 PM
Gorgeous!

DBLC
12-04-2002, 09:12 AM
Kris...Where are you located? I buy a couple truck loads of poinsettias a year. Might be able to do some business. I also would like you website. I am intressted in learning more about poinsettias. Thanks!!!!

DBLC
12-09-2002, 05:12 PM
Kris

I was wondering what I could do with my left over poinsettias? I am hoping not to have any, but we always have a few. Any thoughts? I DON'T have a green house.

kris
12-09-2002, 06:19 PM
DBLC,

I am taking for granted that you got the web addy I sent you. There are some tips there if you want to try and keep them until next year.... personally, I would give them to the needy.

DBLC
12-10-2002, 08:03 AM
Yes I FINALLY got the addy right! Thanks! I am thinking of giving them to nursing homes. I will be keeping a few 10 MAX to try and keep alive! Thanks!

kris
12-10-2002, 08:10 AM
Your welcome,

Nursing homes are a great idea. We maintain one and they just love when I bring them a few.

dan deutekom
12-10-2002, 10:32 AM
Pet Peeve

Many of my clients want to give their points to hospitals and nursing homes after they are done with them. Who wants them after Christmas and New Years! To me it is degrading to give these needy folks these plants when we are done with them after Christmas. We all know when we are going to have some left over and can deliver them for the 23rd or 24th of December and really show them that we care. I tell my clients that they go before Christmas to these people or they go in the garbage after. Most make it a point to get them there b4 Christmas.

kris
12-10-2002, 02:20 PM
Point taken Dan ...your right.

We don't wait until the last moment to take ours out.

DBLC
12-10-2002, 02:21 PM
Dan

Nor will I! I was talking about ones that I didn't sell at all.

BigJim
12-11-2002, 04:26 AM
People plant them in the garden here when they are finished with them,its funny to see Poinsettias 10-15ft high.And when you cut a big one down they ooze sticky white sap like latex rubber.
Kris do you grow them with controlled daylight uo there being winter?,Here they grow them in greenhouses with automatic shutters to control the day length and growth inhibitors to keep them small as Christmas here is Summer time ,they dont stay looking nursery fresh here very long before they try to grow like trees again.

kris
12-12-2002, 01:03 PM
BigJim,

No ...we don't use controlled daylight. When they are started as cuttings in July there is plenty of light and that is what they need ... we will pull the shade cloth over at times if it is getting to hot so the seedlings won't burn. As the months go by...days shorter it is idea for them to turn colour.
I would assume in the south that they may need to provide darkness in the latter months.
I Suppose it is about perfect here for this crop.

PS I would love to see a pic of one of those really tall ones in someones garden. If your ever out and about with your camera please take a pic.