PDA

View Full Version : Help Identify these plants please

andyslawncare
01-24-2012, 03:46 PM
The first picture is a cutting from a herb that appears to spread. It smells like licorice. Most of the plant has died back, and I'm thinking that maybe the mature leaves are larger, as we have broken buds on several plants in zone 7 now.

The second and third picture is a large shrub/tree that I skirted last year when it was full of leaves. It has lots of white flowers on it now, and I'm just curious of the species because its pretty and I would like to use it in future designs.

The third and fourth picture is an evergreen shrub that has flower buds forming now

The last picture has started flowering in the past 3 weeks, and it is the only stray flower on the site.

Thanks for any input!

VO Landscape Design
01-24-2012, 11:59 PM
2 and 3 are a Magnolia of some kind.
VO

gardenkeeper88
01-25-2012, 04:24 PM
From the n. zone 5 yea 2& 3 look like star magnolia. Last one looks like a variegated vinca or myrtle. is it a creeper?

andyslawncare
01-25-2012, 05:09 PM
From the n. zone 5 yea 2& 3 look like star magnolia. Last one looks like a variegated vinca or myrtle. is it a creeper?

As far as I could tell, there that was the only plant. Doesn't appear to creep.

integrityman
01-25-2012, 10:58 PM
Magnolia- definitely a Star Magnolia. The pod is the seed from last season. Cant believe your in bloom in January

The bottom flower appears to be periwinkle - vinca minor

qbacker
01-26-2012, 02:47 AM
Picture four and five are either Skip Laurel or Otto Laurel:waving:

andyslawncare
01-26-2012, 05:00 PM
Picture four and five are either Skip Laurel or Otto Laurel:waving:

I thought it might be Laurel... its not Otto luyken, i'm familiar with its leaves.

Any one know if Skip Laurel can receive renewal pruning? I'm planning to renewal prune some an abelia hedge that is growing into this plant, otherwise that bed may look pretty dumb for awhile.