PDA

View Full Version : Backpack Sprayers

Peachtree Environmental
01-24-2012, 08:54 PM
Hey guys,

I've been using Solo backpack sprayers for a long time, but they seem to take up a lot of space because the pump lever doesn't really fold up. They do the job well and I know there are better ones out there. I have been looking into SP Systems as they seem more molded and compact (pump lever) folds all the way up. Anyone have any recommendations? Are there other sprayers I should be looking at? Also, between the SP0, SP1, SP2, SP3 the pump is obviously different, but what are you guys using for herbicide use and what seems to last? Thanks.

lawnrx
01-24-2012, 09:09 PM
Steel brand back pack sprayer. I hve three and love them. had them for 3 years.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-24-2012, 09:27 PM
I use the Shurflo battery backpack and I like it, you have to charge your battery often though, or have a spare on hand. It has pooped out on me more than once in the field.

Peachtree Environmental
01-24-2012, 10:25 PM
Yeah the battery-operated seem like they would be nice, but worry about the longevity of the battery and it's charge. Also, I just took a look at the Stihl, and I may go check one out at the dealer. Looks exactly like what I'm looking for. Lever folds all the way up and looks easy to hang with the straight backboard looking thing. Do you have the SG 20?

agrostis
01-24-2012, 10:33 PM
I like the SP2. My biggest requirement is that a sprayer doesn't leak all over me. This sprayer is going on 3 year's with no leak's. You can also get part's for it. The handle doesn't fold up but it does unclip. I think SP sprayer's are one of the best.

blake101
01-25-2012, 10:15 AM
Getting ready to buy the SPO, I hear nothing but good thing about it. Stihl would be my next choice, just because he is close by.

Landscape Poet
01-25-2012, 07:19 PM
Steel brand back pack sprayer. I hve three and love them. had them for 3 years.

Although I agree that they are good back packs as that is what I own, I would think you would learn to spell Stihl since it is clearly written on the back of each of them! :laugh:

I all honestly I do not know if they are the best but they work well and with a company like "steel" :nono: you know you will always be able to get parts.

JJS
01-25-2012, 07:55 PM
Getting ready to buy the SPO, I hear nothing but good thing about it. Stihl would be my next choice, just because he is close by.

just my .02, i own 2 stihl sg20's. i bought them new in 2009. shortly after that both wand handles cracked right in the grip/trigger piece about 2-3 months later. one also had leaky o-rings a few months down the road as well. maybe it was just my luck to get a bad batch and they did a sub par job on the mold of the handles on a run at the plant. anyone else having that problem? i've yet to find a durable,realiable backpack i really love as well

grassman177
01-25-2012, 11:34 PM
i love my sp sprayers, but when the seals fail it leaks down your ass. what is up with that design anyhow? i HATE that part of the product

blake101
01-26-2012, 11:08 AM
Okay, can't seem to find the SPO in stock any where, any ideas? Also, can the Stihl sprayer, spray wettable powers and can you get a fan tip for it?

ArizPestWeed
01-27-2012, 11:57 AM
Okay, can't seem to find the SPO in stock any where, any ideas? Also, can the Stihl sprayer, spray wettable powers and can you get a fan tip for it?

Why SPO , ? you use wettable powders ??

Solo , you can get a fold up handle , all mine had them , stopped using Solo because of lids leaking . .

The best back pack on market is the SP3 , never leak from the lid threads .
http://www.amleo.com/SP-Systems-Backpack-Sprayer-4gal-High-Pressure-Piston-Diaphragm-Pump/p/SP3/

I get all my SP stuff at Tessman seed , buy 3 at a time

ArizPestWeed
01-27-2012, 11:58 AM
Or , you could make your own electric , this is where Fastpac got their design from

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=274186

blake101
01-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Why SPO , ? you use wettable powders ??

Solo , you can get a fold up handle , all mine had them , stopped using Solo because of lids leaking . .

The best back pack on market is the SP3 , never leak from the lid threads .
http://www.amleo.com/SP-Systems-Backpack-Sprayer-4gal-High-Pressure-Piston-Diaphragm-Pump/p/SP3/

I get all my SP stuff at Tessman seed , buy 3 at a time

Just ordered the SPO-V yesterday. I don't have a need to spray wettable powders, but I do need to spray chlorine. May be a little over kill, but for 10.00 it won't break me. Hopefully it will be a good one.

blake101
02-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Just ordered the SPO-V yesterday. I don't have a need to spray wettable powders, but I do need to spray chlorine. May be a little over kill, but for 10.00 it won't break me. Hopefully it will be a good one.

Okay, after three weeks and 6 phone calls, Norwalk Power finally tells me it could be up to 3 months before I receive the sprayer, ha ha ha I don't think so. So does anyone have a suggestion for another sprayer?

RigglePLC
02-16-2012, 01:06 PM
No suggestion for a supplier.
But regarding the battery powered unit. Can you charge a spare battery in your vehicle? Using the cigarette lighter? Or a special wiring setup?

agrostis
02-16-2012, 02:15 PM
The SPO-V seem's to be rare but i found this one.

http://www.benmeadows.com/search/spo-v/31221701/172632/?isredirect=true&refr=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ebenmeadows%2Ecom%2Fsearch%2Fspo%2Dv%2F%3FNao%3D0

zechstoker
02-16-2012, 10:36 PM
I have 2 Solo backpacks with pump handles that flip in for easy storage, and I completely concur with the "leaky lid" complaint. Aside from that, they work fine for me. However, one of our pest control technicians has a Berchmeier on his truck that he swears by. They're more pricey than Solos, but apparently they're a sound investment. If you want to check into them, follow the link below:
http://www.birchmeierbackpacks.com/?gclid=CMzAxqP8o64CFQ5_hwodkgz8SQ

R&S Lawn Care
02-18-2012, 12:40 AM
I have 4 Solos. A friend showed me a trick, he used a knee high tube sock and tied it around the top. All drips are caught by the sock.
Posted via Mobile Device