PDA

View Full Version : Weed preventer in mulch beds

Mr. Midwest
01-25-2012, 09:17 AM
I was wondering what techniques you guys use to help prevent weeds in mulch beds. I currently use preen in my mulch beds but lets be honest I might as well be throwing down weed fertilizer. I have primarliy been installing landscape rock with weed barrier to help prevent customer complaints in peak working times. I am looking to start installing alot of mulch as a ground cover due to jobs i am getting on lakeside properties. Is there a spray/ granule that is available to help me with this problem?

Florida Gardener
01-25-2012, 10:03 AM
Yes-granular I use snapshot. Spray I use sureguard. Both are excellent. If you have a lot of issues with sedge freehand is supposed to be great for that. I have never used it though so can only give you what I heard.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ferris68
01-28-2012, 09:36 PM
I have used Freehand and Snapshot. Both work very well. I prefer to use Freehand because it controls about the same amount of Broadleaf weeds as Snapshot and controls Yellow Nutsedge as well. The key to using these products is to read the label and apply them properly. Watering the product in is very important. I see a ton of people apply the granular and walk away thinking they are going to be weed free. Not the case.

plc87
01-29-2012, 09:26 AM
I was actually just about to start one of these threads asking about snapshot. Looks like the other brand may be better. My fert supplier says that I could do two applications and give a weed free guarantee. If my prices are good enough then it wouldnt be a big deal if I had to come back and spot spray once or twice since all my accounts are within a close proximity anyways. Any thoughts on this? Also how do you do the pricing?

scottslawncareav
01-31-2012, 10:45 AM
yeah I would really like to know a better way. Ive tried round up even double the concentration but i still end up hola hoeing everything

Lefet
01-31-2012, 11:15 AM
yeah I would really like to know a better way. Ive tried round up even double the concentration but i still end up hola hoeing everything

Round up is not used to PREVENT weeds in the beds. It also only works with minimal temps. You need a PRE-emergent to prevent the weeds from starting.

Florida Gardener
01-31-2012, 11:16 AM
I was actually just about to start one of these threads asking about snapshot. Looks like the other brand may be better. My fert supplier says that I could do two applications and give a weed free guarantee. If my prices are good enough then it wouldnt be a big deal if I had to come back and spot spray once or twice since all my accounts are within a close proximity anyways. Any thoughts on this? Also how do you do the pricing?

Snapshot is an excellent product. You will have very little if any weed emergence. If anything does pop up, just hit it with roundup. For pricing, I would at least double the cost. If you have a lot of pita beds, go 2.5-3 times.
Posted via Mobile Device

scottslawncareav
02-01-2012, 01:24 AM
thanks i will try the snap shot

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
02-01-2012, 10:06 AM

Looks like someone is not reading the label! Also not sure what you mean by double the concentration, but sounds like you may be illegally applying the product. Are you licensed? If not, stop applying. If you are, READ the LABEL!! The application industry has a bad enough image without people playing scientist in the field. :hammerhead:

ROC lawn and landscapes
02-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Yes-granular I use snapshot. Spray I use sureguard. Both are excellent. If you have a lot of issues with sedge freehand is supposed to be great for that. I have never used it though so can only give you what I heard.
Posted via Mobile Device

When you are spraying sureguard, does it effect shrubs or perennial when you are spraying around them?

klogan011
02-01-2012, 10:58 AM
Why is it that every time someone has a question it has to be answered with the legalities of the product. Just answer the guys question and leave the legality to the appropriate authorities. This forum is to discuss what some best practices are.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
02-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Why is it that every time someone has a question it has to be answered with the legalities of the product. Just answer the guys question and leave the legality to the appropriate authorities. This forum is to discuss what some best practices are.

I would think the very first best practice is to be legal!

klogan011
02-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Yes you are correct and if he was asking what is legal to put in beds then that would be an appropriate response. Since that wasn't the question letís just assume he has all the credentials that he needs. That way we can just address the question at hand and help him become better at what he does for a living.

I don't want to hijack his thread with rants. None of on hear are lawyers so I just wish everyone would help each other instead of telling them what the law is.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
02-01-2012, 12:07 PM
I was responding to the post from scottslawn, not the original post. From that response, it looks as though he isn't licensed or following the label. Either of the two are illegal. Being illegal trumps any best practice and he should stop. I'm not trying to be difficult! Following the law is first and foremost in any business. Allow me to exaggerate my point. Lets say this is a site for liquor store owners. If someone asked the best practice for marketing to those under 18, wouldn't you think the very first best practice answer would be to point out selling to those people is illegal? Hmmm, maybe I should start a thread and ask...As a business, is following the law important? Again, I'm not being difficult, just responding to a post in this thread. Threads are started to answer a question. The answers in the threads usually lead to informative conversation. If threads were answered with very simple short answers, an informative conversation may never take place. One more point, too many take posts in threads as argumentative. I never answer a post to be argumentative, just trying to add to the conversation. That's just me.

CUSTOMLAWN10
02-01-2012, 09:22 PM
Looks like someone is not reading the label! Also not sure what you mean by double the concentration, but sounds like you may be illegally applying the product. Are you licensed? If not, stop applying. If you are, READ the LABEL!! The application industry has a bad enough image without people playing scientist in the field. :hammerhead:

I glad you said that.

CUSTOMLAWN10
02-01-2012, 09:27 PM
I sell and use a ton of snap shot. Applied correctly a bag should cover about 10,000 sq ft. When I do mulch in spring, I spread it before I mulch (1/2 rate) and again after I mulch(1/2 rate) and if you can water in, do it. I do this because there is always weed seeds in mulch.

Otherwise, I sell multiple applications. Quality is to sell if people want to pay for it, but do not go out of business because of weeds.

Landscape Poet
02-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Snapshot is an excellent product. You will have very little if any weed emergence. If anything does pop up, just hit it with roundup. For pricing, I would at least double the cost. If you have a lot of pita beds, go 2.5-3 times.
Posted via Mobile Device

I will back Diamond up on this product being a overall excellent product. As far as pricing I use it to up sell the accounts that I am doing the Fertilizer and Pesticide in the beds.....it can also be used as a way to seperate yourself form the comp. Down here not many of the spray companies will treat the beds....this leaves a huge opening for us lawn guys as we can put this product down and experience very little weeds and we are on the property weekly with RU in case something pops up.
I have a account now that I picked up because the other LCO could not or did not do a good job controlling weeds in the beds. I sprayed the beds with RU the first time there and the following week I applied Snapshot. Problem solved so far....I went 4 months between the first and second apps and weeds still have never been a problem.

Ticolawnllc
02-01-2012, 10:30 PM
dose snapshop damage turf?

and what are you guys paying for a bag? Last year my lseco dealer pushed produce and I didn't like it. His price for snapshot sounded inflated.

Landscape Poet
02-01-2012, 10:56 PM
dose snapshop damage turf?

and what are you guys paying for a bag? Last year my lseco dealer pushed produce and I didn't like it. His price for snapshot sounded inflated.

$84 for 50lb bag. Not sure on the turf as I am not licensed for and do not apply to turf. I would assume there would be a cheaper alternative for pre-em for turf than this. This product is safe to apply right over the top of most landscape plants - so beside the actual results - the ease of use is one of the thing that makes it so appealing.

Ticolawnllc
02-02-2012, 07:24 AM
$84 for 50lb bag. Not sure on the turf as I am not licensed for and do not apply to turf. I would assume there would be a cheaper alternative for pre-em for turf than this. This product is safe to apply right over the top of most landscape plants - so beside the actual results - the ease of use is one of the thing that makes it so appealing.

My concern was for applying on bed. Sometimes a little gets on turf. A few years ago some snapshot ended up on a creeping juniper and it burned the area. I was worried the same would happen on turf.

People that call us just for mulching normaly are the ones that like to get the snapshot. I don't see the house again till the next year. I havn't nottice anything but I thought I would put it out there to see what other guys have found.

$85 sounds about what he was charging.

Florida Gardener
02-02-2012, 01:26 PM
My concern was for applying on bed. Sometimes a little gets on turf. A few years ago some snapshot ended up on a creeping juniper and it burned the area. I was worried the same would happen on turf.

People that call us just for mulching normaly are the ones that like to get the snapshot. I don't see the house again till the next year. I havn't nottice anything but I thought I would put it out there to see what other guys have found.

$85 sounds about what he was charging.
It isn't a cheap product, but it has excellent results and you get what you pay for.
Posted via Mobile Device

phillie
02-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Does snapshot effect hostas and other bulbs?

Florida Gardener
02-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Does snapshot effect hostas and other bulbs?

Not sure read the label
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
02-02-2012, 06:27 PM
For those interested and not willing to do there own homework.

http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedLiteratureDAS/dh_0045/0901b8038004541a.pdf?filepath=turf/pdfs/noreg/010-82007.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc

http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedLiteratureDAS/dh_004e/0901b8038004e8cf.pdf?filepath=turf/pdfs/noreg/010-60419.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc

http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld0B6010.pdf

phillie
02-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Not sure read the label
Posted via Mobile Device

Then what was the point in posting? It gets pretty annoying when people just ask simple questions and get this crap. Labels don't tell you personal experience.

Florida Gardener
02-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Then what was the point in posting? It gets pretty annoying when people just ask simple questions and get this crap. Labels don't tell you personal experience.

Cause I dont know the answer but the label will tell you.
Posted via Mobile Device

phillie
02-02-2012, 08:03 PM
OK, again the label wont tell me personal experience. I was looking for real world knowledge, not just what it says on the label or its promotions.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
02-02-2012, 08:20 PM
http://www.dowagro.com/turf/prod/snapshot.htm

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
02-02-2012, 08:31 PM
http://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld0B6010.pdf

Sorry, didn't get this link on the last post quick enough.

The label is real world knowledge. If you follow the label, snapshot will not hurt hosta. If it hurts something it says it wont, you didn't follow the label.The label is a legal document that MUST be followed.

phillie
02-02-2012, 10:56 PM
http://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld0B6010.pdf

Sorry, didn't get this link on the last post quick enough.

The label is real world knowledge. If you follow the label, snapshot will not hurt hosta. If it hurts something it says it wont, you didn't follow the label.The label is a legal document that MUST be followed.

Imprellis was mis-labelled? Just for example. The label is a legal document, I understand that and have read it. I am not new to the game. I have just never personally used the product thats why I ask. I can clearly see the plants it says it doesnt effect. Just was wondering of any adverse effects people have noticed that they werent expecting.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
02-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Imprellis was mis-labelled? Just for example. The label is a legal document, I understand that and have read it. I am not new to the game. I have just never personally used the product thats why I ask. I can clearly see the plants it says it doesnt effect. Just was wondering of any adverse effects people have noticed that they werent expecting.

Imprellis did not damage anything on its label. The Imprellis damage to some limited trees is an anomaly with a new product that is very seldom seen. I understand your point about never using a product and wanting info. These products are so often misused that sometimes the info you may get about use is incorrect. Listening to experience is fine, but follow the label. I get very concerned about the proper use of chemistry for applications because this industry has a bad enough reputation. Just trying to help and get my concerns across, not trying to be a hard case. Thanks

phillie
02-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Imprellis did not damage anything on its label. The Imprellis damage to some limited trees is an anomaly with a new product that is very seldom seen. I understand your point about never using a product and wanting info. These products are so often misused that sometimes the info you may get about use is incorrect. Listening to experience is fine, but follow the label. I get very concerned about the proper use of chemistry for applications because this industry has a bad enough reputation. Just trying to help and get my concerns across, not trying to be a hard case. Thanks

I agree with the imprellis not damaging anything on the label. My point was it was misabelled. I appreciate the help and am also concerned with the reputation of our industry. Part of the way I do research is finding out what others have experienced not just what is on the label or in the "sales packet". Thanks Keystone.

lukemelo216
02-05-2012, 09:17 PM
snapshot will work the best, and I will go along with the others in saying follow the label. Apply it only to the areas its designated for. The problem is that mulch gets hard over the season and there are weed seeds that get on top of the mulch so you still get some weeds developing on top. Youre never going to have 100% weed free beds, the fact that your salesman is telling you you can sell a 100% weed free guarantee is just setting you up for problems. Me I enjoy selling a good landscape bed maintenance program for the year. Its added money into the account for us and its easy work. We dont say 100% weed free becasue what happens when you service the account on a monday and on thursday a weed has developed.

Anyways we start out the year during the spring cleanup we cultivate all the mulch beds to loosen the mulch up around it, apply snap shot (1/2 the maximum allowed for the year) and then mulch if they are allowing us. Throughout the seaon each week we check for weeds and address them as they come up. We try to sell them on every month, but sometimes we can only get every other month, but we cultivated the mulch. A it keeps it looking fresh and B it reduces the weeds. Half way through the year we apply a second batch of snap shot and finish out spot weeding and cultivating the mulch.

I find that so many contractors just want the mow trim and blow accounts, but I would much rather try to sell the mowing and then spending 20 or 30 minutes extra a week at each account doing something for them. Trim some bushes, cultivate the mulch, weed, dead head flowers, touch up some edges, clean out some debris from the beds what ever. This is on commercial and residential accounts. We will break the account into 4 sections and just do it one area at a time.

I just have a hard time when people say we just spread the snap shot and then are upset when theres weeds because they dont want to weed, but its part of the job and it actually is a decent paying one at that if you sell it right.

H & M Yard Improvements
02-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Just wondering if anyone uses landscape fabric as an alternative?

living Green Property
02-07-2012, 12:31 AM
We use Pre-em mixed with a weed killer like round up and it works awesome as long as the mulch isnít disturbed. we take care of a lot of commercial properties and put hundreds of gallons a year. We do it in the spring and then in august. Never had any luck with preen. The lesco pre-em works good only drawback is its yellow and stains tanks. and can stain concrete temporally if youíre not careful

Mr. Midwest
02-07-2012, 10:16 AM
How well will snapshot work in rock beds with weedbarrier? If i spread the snapshot in the rocks will it prevent weeds from speratically poping up?

Ferris68
02-07-2012, 10:35 AM
Yes it will work. Rock gardens, brick walkways etc. Another good product is Pro-Deuce. Its a post and pre-emergent. Spray it on like Round-Up and then get 6-8 weeks weed free.

Mr. Midwest
02-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Thank you sir

Premier landscaping south
02-08-2012, 09:06 PM
FYI. I just picked up a bag of snapshot today at lesco. Wanted the smaller bag and was told lesco no longer produces the smaller bag. Although they did drop the price from $120 to $90 on the large bag. U may get a better price than that because I just missed spending $4500(in 2011) to get the discounts this year.