PDA

View Full Version : Apt. Complex Gutter Cleaning

clayslandscape
01-25-2012, 03:18 PM
I had an low income apt. complex owner call me today asking for a bid on cleaning heir gutters out twice a year. The buildings are a total of 588 lin. ft. spread out along 7 buildings. They are roughly 22 ft up with a very low pitch roof so you can easily walk on them.

They have no trees around but still want them blown out occasionally.

If I were to charge .75 per ft it would be $441. Is this to extreme? Please let me know.

They also have another complex with roughly 1200 lin ft two blocks away. Please let me know your input.

Dr.NewEarth
01-25-2012, 03:43 PM
Does your insurance cover you climbing a ladder that high? Our compensation only covers my employees 12 feet off of the ground.

I would NEVER charge by the foot. Figure out what your hourly costs are and add a bit to that for dumping.

Do you have an extention ladder with those looped metal ends so that you don't damage the gutters? Or, if you work from the roof is it mandatory for you to wear a safety harness while you work?

Usually low income building owners live in big fancy houses.

JT25
01-25-2012, 11:32 PM
I work for a gutter company, installer. The company i work for charges between .65 and.85 cent a foot ( depending on ladder height and difficulty) Your price sounds in normal range. As installer a also do the cleanings, and from your description me and my work partner could do this job in about 3 to 4 hrs.

clayslandscape
01-25-2012, 11:38 PM
I work for a gutter company, installer. The company i work for charges between .65 and.85 cent a foot ( depending on ladder height and difficulty) Your price sounds in normal range. As installer a also do the cleanings, and from your description me and my work partner could do this job in about 3 to 4 hrs.

Do you really think it would take 4 hours to do them being that you once you get on the roof you can go at it.

clayslandscape
01-26-2012, 10:15 AM
All input would be very beneficial.

JT25
01-26-2012, 01:17 PM
ok, you have 7 buildings that all total 588ft? and no trees. it could take alot less time. we bag everything by hand, never use a blower. If the gutters are full of leaves, mush and "gutter juice" and you have to clean every foot, then 4 hours or less since you can do it from the roof. If its not bad you could be out in an hour and a half. if its horrible it could take youI 4 hrs. it really all depends on how full the gutters are, but your price seems to be reasonable

clayslandscape
01-27-2012, 10:40 AM
The other complex I am bidding on for gutter cleaning has a total of 3,246 lin. ft. of gutters. This complex are all single story with the gutters being about 8ft off the ground. These have trees overhanging in many areas so the gutters are full but not all of them. With this much, how much would you charge for this job, twice a year.

Landrus2
01-27-2012, 12:42 PM
if you can walk in roof and can use blower to blow it out you can do a better price

osmann_lawn
01-27-2012, 08:44 PM
I just use a backpack blower its a lot faster than doing it by hand. Also ECHO makes a handheld shred & vac (http://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Shred-N-Vacs/ES-255) that works pretty good. No mess to clean up.

clayslandscape
01-28-2012, 02:09 PM
I obviously can not charge .65-.75 per foot on the complex with over 3000ft of gutters. it is single story. What do you all think? I was guessing around the $800 range. That is 14 biuldings.

plc87
01-29-2012, 10:43 AM
If there's literally not any trees around to blow leaves into it then what is there to build up? a dead bird, squirrel, and some shingle sandings? LOL how would this take you more than 10 min per unit? If you're not blowing a bunch of mushy leaves out to make a big mess then it will take you no time at all. When I go to do a gutter cleaning I charge $80 to $100 an hour with a $50 minimum no matter what (usually residential). Most of the time if they're done once a year and you can time it when it's been dry for a week or so it's not bad at all, no hand scraping out in most cases. My usual way of doing it is going around and blowing the gutters from the ground up first to break anything that's stuck, loose.

I just got a $4500 mowing, fert/squirt job and they asked about gutters at their 2 complexs. The two buildings are square and about 3500 sq ft of living space (never added up linear ft of gutter). It will take me 30 min to do both of them since they will be done twice a year so they are going to be charged the minimum $50. If you're making a good buck off the account as it is already, give them a break. Gutter cleaning is a piece of cake usually.

andyslawncare
02-01-2012, 09:47 PM
sounds like a pain. I'd charge more probably. How are you going to do it? I usually blow gutters out, but I refuse to get on a 2 story+ roof. I think I can survive a fall on a ranch, don't know about any higher. Its a certain safety issue, especially if you carry 30 lbs on your back like I do, and it should be priced accordingly. There are several handy man services that will go on the roof, and I send those guys work most of the time or tell the client to upgrade the gutters so they don't need to be cleaned.

clayslandscape
02-02-2012, 12:35 AM
sounds like a pain. I'd charge more probably. How are you going to do it? I usually blow gutters out, but I refuse to get on a 2 story+ roof. I think I can survive a fall on a ranch, don't know about any higher. Its a certain safety issue, especially if you carry 30 lbs on your back like I do, and it should be priced accordingly. There are several handy man services that will go on the roof, and I send those guys work most of the time or tell the client to upgrade the gutters so they don't need to be cleaned.

I am willing to do anything this time of year to make some money to get me one step closer to the mowing season.