PDA

View Full Version : Cinch, grub & whitefly out of control

jvanvliet
01-25-2012, 08:30 PM
Cinch, grub and white fly off the chain down here. Lawns disappearing, healthy SA suddenly infested, 15/20 white grubs per 1 sqf. Enough cinch to make soup floating in the coffee can, monumental leaf drop from the Ficus. Am I imagining or does anybody south experience this also?

Ric
01-25-2012, 08:37 PM
Cinch, grub and white fly off the chain down here. Lawns disappearing, healthy SA suddenly infested, 15/20 white grubs per 1 sqf. Enough cinch to make soup floating in the coffee can, monumental leaf drop from the Ficus. Am I imagining or does anybody south experience this also?

Jvan

Hire a profession Pest control company and you won't have those problems.

williams lcm
01-25-2012, 09:19 PM
Did not think you could get chinch bugs this time of year. I thought that was May thru Oct .

jvanvliet
01-26-2012, 06:26 AM
Jvan

Hire a profession Pest control company and you won't have those problems.

I don't have those problems on my properties where a profession pest control company does regular treatments.

Although he has a hard time staying ahead of everything because of infestation in neighboring properties.

In any event, I'm talking about in general.

jvanvliet
01-26-2012, 06:30 AM
Did not think you could get chinch bugs this time of year. I thought that was May thru Oct .

You would think, the weather here has been extremely warm (SE Palm Beach County). It was in the upper 70's lower 80's yesterday and will be in the mid 80's today. W've had rain three days this week.

The "cold" snap was only a blip before temperatures returned to mid 60's overnight and upper 70's in the day.

bugsNbows
01-26-2012, 08:27 AM
Even up here in Central FL, I find live SCB's in lawns in Jan. and Feb. I will say, however, that their populations are generally not at problematic treatment threshold levels until April (usually).

jvanvliet
01-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Southern Chinch are well above threshold levels; spot treatment seems to drive them to greener pastures.

Normally we'll see a significant slow down, well below threshold this time of year. But the weather is encouraging them. Lot of people are mistaking the turf damage for frost damage; but temperatures haven't fallen below 45 in my market area and then only briefly.

We usually see a significant reduction in Fig Whitefly activity this time of year also, but they are busy little beavers too. Watched mature (50" + trunk) Ficus trees drop 30-40% of their canopy in the last three days. Hedges de-foliating by the mile. It's nuts.

The squirt guys must be going crazy with phone calls... "Hey Mr. Guaranteed Green, WTF?" ;)

Landscape Poet
01-26-2012, 03:21 PM

They can be present anytime of year. The populations usually are not as active and cause as much damage out of those time frames but it can happen. Also think about how dry it has been here in our area - they generally do not care for moist lawns but tend to be found in dry stressed lawns - with temps in the 80's I do not doubt there is going to be some activity out there. Last year we found several properties that did not have L&O companies servicing there lawns had areas once believed to be frost damaged in the winter not green up...upon inspection as it became apparent cinch bug were there in active enough populations they were doing damage...this was in I wanna say March of last year. That is one of many reasons why it is important to keep your L & O company year round.