PDA

View Full Version : What's the worst injury you've ever had from landscapning

2stroked
01-25-2012, 09:48 PM
What's the worst injury you've had in the landscaping business? Just curious.

Mine was caused by adjusting a push mower deck and it snapping back and taking out a chunk of my finger. :realmad:

RussellB
01-25-2012, 09:52 PM
Flipped a Z turn into a pond. Several broken ribs, collapsed lung, dang near removed my left leg just above the knee and to top it off, almost drowned. You won't catch me anywhere near a hill or water with a riding mower. Chit happens quick.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kelly's Landscaping
01-25-2012, 10:04 PM
That's subjective Iv had a set of hedge trimmers catch my leg once while running when the tip caught the hedge as I finished and started to walk and it pulled it into my leg and man does that pinch hard. I have fallen backwards with a backpack on around a swimming pool when I tripped over a cable for a pool cover and the impact popped a shoulder out that hurt like hell. I had a fat relative of my ex boss lose balance when we were pulling some vines down form a tree and he elbowed me in the ribs cracking a few. I broke a bone in my hand this year on my lazer after it threw a belt. when the pulley that was stuck with a spring out of place snapped back harder then I could slow it down. But none of these ever resulted in doctor visits so I discount them. So the only thing I count would be wooden splinters in the eye that required immediate attention. But I still think the shoulder hurt more.

larryinalabama
01-25-2012, 10:05 PM
I think I broke my ankle not really sure but it hurt like heck for 6 months

blk90s13
01-25-2012, 10:07 PM
5 stitches left eye brow with a tree branch trimmer

integrityman
01-25-2012, 10:27 PM
Herniated disk- L5- S1. :(:(:(

weeze
01-25-2012, 10:44 PM
back when i was in college i worked for a lawn company. i was wearing safety glasses but while i was trimming something flew up into my eye under the glasses. i had 2 corneal abrasions right in the middle of my eye. i couldn't hardly keep my eye open because the light was so bright. i had to wear sunglasses just to watch tv for a few days. i went to the eye doctor and he gave me some drops and the scratches went away. he also checked my eyes and found out i was nearsighted and had astigmatism. i had never had any trouble seeing things but after i got glasses and contacts i could see things much clearer that were far away so i guess it was a good thing it happened.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
01-25-2012, 11:18 PM
Cut a finger off with a 21,.
Burned the he'll out of my hand when my scag tried running me over with blades engaged, pulled myself up on it by the muffler!
That next day went to dealer to have all factory safeties reinstalled!
Good luck to all and learn from your blunders.
Posted via Mobile Device

Quix
01-25-2012, 11:26 PM
I got thrown off a sulkey and dislocated my left shoulder. It was an older Turf Tracer with the pistol grips. I went over the handles on the left side at an angle, landed on my feet. Guess I had such a grip on the handle going over it twisted my shoulder out. WORST pain I ever had. I pulled my phone out and called a friend to give me a ride to hospital, thats about when the shock set in. I was part time then, 2 months off work. My 2 sons took over and saved my business.

MarkintheGarden
01-25-2012, 11:30 PM
I was done mowing a job and blowing the patio clean when I ran into a nest of wasps that did not like me or my blower. I got stung three times and fell down backwards trying to get away, scraping up my elbow on the patio.

happy healing to all!

integrityman
01-25-2012, 11:44 PM
back when i was in college i worked for a lawn company. i was wearing safety glasses but while i was trimming something flew up into my eye under the glasses. i had 2 corneal abrasions right in the middle of my eye. i couldn't hardly keep my eye open because the light was so bright. i had to wear sunglasses just to watch tv for a few days. i went to the eye doctor and he gave me some drops and the scratches went away. he also checked my eyes and found out i was nearsighted and had astigmatism. i had never had any trouble seeing things but after i got glasses and contacts i could see things much clearer that were far away so i guess it was a good thing it happened.

Reminds me of something that happened many moons ago.
(I was shredding some tree limbs. No safety glasses) I got a sliver in my eye. I had to go to an eye doctor the following day and she extracted an almost 1" extremely thin sliver. Very lucky- no damage.

rockenlawn
01-26-2012, 12:43 AM
ended up with 14 stitches

sjessen
01-26-2012, 08:43 AM
Worst injury was a fractured ankle. Was in a cast for 10 weeks. Of all things, it happened walking down the gate of the trailer. Foot slipped, turned it to stop sliding, rolled the ankle and snapped it. Really hurt but went to work. When it swelled up I knew there was something bad wrong.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who has been thrown off a sulky. Only thing hurt that time was my pride.

One other injury to my neck. Going full tilt on a wb with my head down and hit a large tree limb. I could literally hear the neck bones crunching.

Mark Oomkes
01-26-2012, 09:17 AM
Concussion last summer, but my thigh and ribs broke my fall so it wasn't worse. Ribs hurt for a month, leg for a couple weeks.

Fell off the back of a truck, either getting the tarp unstuck or something, not really sure. Screwed me up totally for a week, was about 75% the second week. Still have some memory issues.

Kiril
01-26-2012, 09:51 AM
Chain saw kicked back into my leg and hedge trimmer nearly cut the tip of one of my fingers off.

Turf Dawg
01-26-2012, 10:18 AM
I broke my bank account :dizzy:

After years and years of physical therapy it still has not healed :cry::cry:

inzane
01-26-2012, 10:53 AM
worse thing that happen to me was i got run over by my own 6.5x10 trailer trying to hook it to the truck... there was a slight crack in the pavement that allowed it to get just enough momentum for me not to be able to stop it once it going going just a few feet.. i didn't really make it out of the way, it could have been alot worse.. i mostly got out of the way but my thumb got bent back.. it took years to heal on its own because i didn't have insurance at the time.

MOturkey
01-26-2012, 11:44 AM
This is actually a good thread to perhaps get people to think about safety before the season starts for most of us. Very, very few accidents are totally unavoidable. Most happen when we get distracted, or get in a hurry. I'm older than a lot of you guys, and extremely cautious. When I walk off the trailer ramp, I usually hold onto the back of my Z, just in case I slip. If it is wet, I go over the side, holding onto the rails as I do. I never jump off a mower, I back off, and maintain a grip on the seat as I do. If I'm cutting something using a hedge trimmer or chain saw, I'm constantly thinking about what will happen if something goes wrong, and will stop and reposition myself if I think I could end up on the bad end of things. Those few seconds you THINK you are saving by cutting corners can come back to haunt you in a heartbeat.

ringahding
01-26-2012, 11:47 AM
MY BACK! Was working for a landscape supplier building a pond for the outdoor show room and just flat out threw my back. Worst feeling in the world, hasn't been the same since and this was 10 years ago.

Oakleaf landscape
01-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Oakleaf landscape
01-26-2012, 11:53 AM
This is mine. Tripped and my head caught the side of a tiller... It goes a good little ways back into my scalp. Didn't feel a things. Just reached up and I felt this huge chunk of skin hanging down.

Valk
01-26-2012, 01:39 PM
While I sometimes appreciate the purpose of an operator's presence safety switch on my WB, they do present too many inconveniences throughout the day...so I disconnect them.

This being said, a couple years ago I was mowing near a stacked RR tie planter box and felt a sharp pain on my hand. Looked down to see a Yellowjacket stinging my finger. Then I noticed quite a few more coming out from b/tw the stacked ties from their buried nest opening. As I ran like hell out of there I received several more stings on my legs and arms. And there my mower sat, blades still engaged and literally blowing on the Yellowjacket nest opening.

After a few minutes of them swarming to sting my mower chassis to death they settled down enough for me to run by and disengage the blades. Of course just my presence pizzed them off again...but a short while later I was able to run in and get my mower out of the area, though I received yet another sting.

The sting from these lil guys itches like crazy for a couple days it seemed. I'll bet I looked pretty dang funny running from my mower like a lil girl flailing my arms while doing so. :laugh:

wildbillslawn
01-26-2012, 01:41 PM
all kinds of injuries back, head, neck, pride, bank account that really hurts. it's always annoying when your head off a tree branch going full speed. damn branches just out in front of me.

f50lvr2
01-26-2012, 01:43 PM
Torn Scrotum. I was riding behind the Lesco WB on a sulky at full speed, the deck caught a stump or something I didn't see on one side and it stopped immediately. The steel pistol grip went right into my gentleman's area. I was able to turn the key off and lay down before I blacked out. Not sure how long I was out before the homeowner found me.

Lots of swelling, etc...I'm not posting pictures!

wildbillslawn
01-26-2012, 01:44 PM
bee stings always suck

wildbillslawn
01-26-2012, 01:46 PM
that may take the cake. hope you had help healing it

f50lvr2
01-26-2012, 01:46 PM
bee stings always suck

Yeah, and I always drop my trimmer and start running away dancing before I remember I'm going to have to go back to retrieve it, doh!

sjessen
01-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Torn Scrotum. I was riding behind the Lesco WB on a sulky at full speed, the deck caught a stump or something I didn't see on one side and it stopped immediately. The steel pistol grip went right into my gentleman's area. I was able to turn the key off and lay down before I blacked out. Not sure how long I was out before the homeowner found me.

That is beyond OUCH!!! Can anyone say steel cup?

rywnygc
01-26-2012, 02:24 PM
Broke my wrist running a golf cart back into the shop once. Thought I had room between the wall and the truck parked in there....nope.

Recently, I was trimming off branches and somehow got my finger in the way. I was using a corona razor tooth saw. Doc said if my hand was turned 1/4" I would have cut it off.

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n576/itsme167/002-2.jpg

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n576/itsme167/001.jpg

Mark Oomkes
01-26-2012, 03:33 PM

I think we have a winner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forgot, I did almost cut the end of my finger off with my Felco #2. Trimming yews and it got in the way. Just about blacked out before I made it to the truck. Did fine after that, the biggest problem was the throbbing pain that didn't go away for a couple days. Didn't help that I waited too long to get stitches. When I took the bandage off the next day and it started bleeding like right after it happened I decided I should go in. Took over a year for the feeling to come back completely, and not get way colder than the rest of my finger.

This one isn't that bad, because it didn't hurt much, but I had a Hawthorne tip on me and break one of those needles off in my back. Tried getting it out with a needlenose, couldn't do it; had my wife try and she couldn't get it out so another trip to the urgent care for them to dig it out. I was ticked I couldn't get it out myself, but that thing would not come out.

Ticolawnllc
01-26-2012, 08:46 PM
This is the best. LMAO :laugh:

Ticolawnllc
01-26-2012, 08:58 PM
This is the best. LMAO :laugh:

Sorry guys my bad. I didn't see the realy bad stuff. :hammerhead:

2stroked
01-27-2012, 09:13 PM

Damn, lots of bad injuries on here, but the award goes to you! Ugh, hurts just thinking about it!:dizzy:

Mowingman
01-27-2012, 09:29 PM
I was working by myself one Sat. at a commercial property I maintained. Was cutting up a tree I had taken down earlier when I ran the chainsaw across my knee. I cut off what was left of my jeans using the scissers in my first aid kit. It was a deep cut and you could actually see my kneecap. Drove myself to the emergency room and they put in 14 stitches.
I quit doing tree work after that and still hardly ever will use a chainsaw.
I should have been wearing protective chaps, and I should not have been working alone.

Chilehead
01-27-2012, 09:31 PM
This is mine. Tripped and my head caught the side of a tiller... It goes a good little ways back into my scalp. Didn't feel a things. Just reached up and I felt this huge chunk of skin hanging down.

Your injury looked so stinkin' cool! I'm sure you have a scar you may not like, but just the same........!

Oakleaf landscape
01-27-2012, 11:53 PM
Your injury looked so stinkin' cool! I'm sure you have a scar you may not like, but just the same........!

Yea, the ladies love it. I usually make up a story on how I got it. But they super glued it back together. The glue got in my hair and ended up pulling A LOT of hair out trying to get all the glue out after it healed.

BestImpressions99
01-28-2012, 01:00 PM
f50lvr2 - Yeah, you win the worst injury. A moment of silence from us all.

f50lvr2
01-28-2012, 01:07 PM
f50lvr2 - Yeah, you win the worst injury. A moment of silence from us all.

LOL, Thanks, I guess. The funny thing was my vantage stander came in about a month later and I bid a not so fond farewell to the Lesco.

f50lvr2
01-28-2012, 01:08 PM
Yea, the ladies love it. I usually make up a story on how I got it. But they super glued it back together. The glue got in my hair and ended up pulling A LOT of hair out trying to get all the glue out after it healed.

This reminds me of a neighbor I had growing up who was missing an arm. Every time someone would ask him how he lost his arm he would make up a different story. I don't think anybody really knew how he lost it.

dwlah
01-28-2012, 03:14 PM
Chainsaw to the leg
like mowingman should have been wearing chaps
Shouldnt have bee working alone
No big hurry to grab a chainsaw

ROC lawn and landscapes
01-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Worst injury was a fractured ankle. Was in a cast for 10 weeks. Of all things, it happened walking down the gate of the trailer. Foot slipped, turned it to stop sliding, rolled the ankle and snapped it. Really hurt but went to work. When it swelled up I knew there was something bad wrong.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who has been thrown off a sulky. Only thing hurt that time was my pride.

One other injury to my neck. Going full tilt on a wb with my head down and hit a large tree limb. I could literally hear the neck bones crunching.

Haha this reminds me of when I sprained my ankle (well atleast I think I only sprained it). This is really hard for me to tell this story (still have bruised ego). It was about 2-3 weeks before mowing started and I was out hanging doorhangers and I was walkin off a porch and turned directions mid step and came down on my ankle sideways. Next thing I know is I hear a pop and Im on the ground. swelled instantly and I still had prolly a good 3/4 mile to walk to the truck... good thing the adrenaline was still pumping lol :weightlifter:

sjessen
01-28-2012, 06:02 PM
Haha this reminds me of when I sprained my ankle (well atleast I think I only sprained it). This is really hard for me to tell this story (still have bruised ego). It was about 2-3 weeks before mowing started and I was out hanging doorhangers and I was walkin off a porch and turned directions mid step and came down on my ankle sideways. Next thing I know is I hear a pop and Im on the ground. swelled instantly and I still had prolly a good 3/4 mile to walk to the truck... good thing the adrenaline was still pumping lol :weightlifter:

Mine was a little higher than yours. The fracture was called a Webber B. Other symptoms were similar.

TTM42
01-28-2012, 08:49 PM
Was edging backwards with a weed eater and tripped over the tailgate of the trailer and slammed the back of my head into the corner of the trailer, bled like a stuck pig and had to have stitches. Thats my worst so far, knock on wood .

mowerbrad
01-28-2012, 09:21 PM
Wow, all these stories make my story seem like nothing...

I had a demo of a bob-cat ztr (the one they used to make that looked like the walker mowers) and had just finished the first or second lawn of the day. I back the mower onto the trailer and get ready to dump the hopper of grass onto the tarp on my trailer. I walked around the side of the mower to lift the hopper, as I lift the hopper my leg is right next to the muffler. I didn't realize that my leg was actually touching the muffler until it was too late. I got a pretty good second degree burn on the side of my calf.

Nothing spectacular though....

electric
01-28-2012, 11:41 PM
Had an older little wonder hedge clipper keep coasting after trigger was realeased and almost took off my finger off. Had what was left surgecly reconnected. Figure works fine, never new it happened. I never disable any safety switches on mowers as they are designed for my protection. Always read my owners manually front to back! Safety first!

93Chevy
01-29-2012, 12:11 AM
Minor burns and abrasions here and there

Tried to circumcise my knee a couple times with the zoom shears.

Crushed a finger between a sledge and wooden stake.

Had a chain dropped on my head from an excavator bucket.

Dropped a 30' telephone pole on my foot.

Nothing major yet.

f50lvr2
01-29-2012, 01:07 AM
This could end up being a huge thread. I think the worst injuries are the ones that put you out of commission for an extended period of time. A few cuts and bruises are expected but as a solo operation I'm always terrified I'll break my arm or leg and have to stop working for 6 weeks.

Stay safe all!

The-Other-Side
01-29-2012, 09:23 AM
I was blinded in one eye for a month. I was line trimming and a rebellious rock shot out, bounced off of a little metal pole and went right under my glasses. Everything turned a cloudy white color followed by red! The inside of my eye was bleeding so if I looked down the blood flowed through my pupil making it look like a red wave.
Posted via Mobile Device

2low4NH
01-30-2012, 10:31 AM
I drove a freshly pruned limb through my hand right between the bones tore one vein. hit the handle on the mower and stopped. I dont trim as closely to shrubs and trees with my mower any more.

shadrach
01-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Walking around truck to get gas to fill trimmer. I slipped on the wet curb & my foot kinda stuck to the tire as I fell both over sideways. Broke two bones in my leg about 4 inches above the ankle.

tyler_mott85
01-30-2012, 05:29 PM
Worst puncture/laceration was string trimming a broken beer bottle into my shin while wearing shorts. Had to use needle nose to pull about 4 piece of glass out of my leg. Good story for the girls though.

Was fertilizing an acre yard when it was about 90 degrees and 70% humidity. Drank beer the night before. Got done fertilizing and was terribly out of breath. Put the spreader in the truck and started getting light headed. Leaned against the truck. Things went black. Came to on my back in the middle of the road. Head throbbing. My buddy helped me up then went to go turn the truck and a/c on. I got light headed again. Leaned against the truck again. Everything went black again. Woke up in the middle of the road again. Head throbbing even more. Felt something cool down my neck and felt around and found the neat hole in the back of my head bleeding everywhere. Caused by the band on my hat and the force of my head playing basketball...blood had to go somewhere. Trip to the ER, couple bags of fluid and 14 stitches later I had a good "bar fight" story...

I have problems rolling my ankles. And I seem to not like the pain associated with rolling ankles. Usually pass out if I do it hard enough. Stepped off a ZTR mower onto another buddy's trailer he had a big hole between two board and my foot went down into it with my whole weight coming down off the 18 inch high mower it rolled over. I didn't even make it off the trailer before I woke up on the trailer gate and the two mexicans wondering wtf was up with the white boy. I sat up...blacked out again. Broke open the old scar from a couple years earlier. Bled all over again. But I actually finished that day after I puked from the nausea.

So yeah...if you ever see me roll my ankle...lend a hand...under my head preferably. lol.

tyler_mott85
01-30-2012, 05:32 PM
Wow, all these stories make my story seem like nothing...

I had a demo of a bob-cat ztr (the one they used to make that looked like the walker mowers) and had just finished the first or second lawn of the day. I back the mower onto the trailer and get ready to dump the hopper of grass onto the tarp on my trailer. I walked around the side of the mower to lift the hopper, as I lift the hopper my leg is right next to the muffler. I didn't realize that my leg was actually touching the muffler until it was too late. I got a pretty good second degree burn on the side of my calf.

Nothing spectacular though....

Older Walkers had a heat shield over their mufflers was kind of a grate pattern. Leaned my leg onto that and got the cool marks for a while. I was medium rare.

Oakleaf landscape
01-30-2012, 05:37 PM
Damn Tyler, I think it's time you start wearing a bike helmet when you work lol. I could see it now actually.

tyler_mott85
01-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Damn Tyler, I think it's time you start wearing a bike helmet when you work lol. I could see it now actually.

Yeah thats the running joke with the buddy that saw me splatter my skull on the asphalt twice in a two minute period. Anytime it's over 90 degrees or excessively humid he texts me and asks if I'm wearing my helmet. :cool2:

4 seasons lawn&land
01-30-2012, 07:19 PM
Yikes some of these make you think about how you might use these tools on a daily basis. The chain saws are one thing Im carefull with but I think Im going to slow my role with the hedge clipper geez! Im glad Im not a "pass out" kind of person lol.

I havent been hurt workin too bad but the few little things

Those damn ROPS the drag branches into the back of your head. And the feeling of starting to throw out your lower back is a bad one... especially at 21.

greentech2007
01-30-2012, 08:45 PM
Guess got tell you guys what happened to me. I was walking across the yard and another guy was running my super z and he picked up a piece of rebar. Needless to say it flew across yard and hit me in the jaw. Went thru my jaw bone on one side went under my tongue and poked out bout an inch on the other side just under my jaw bone. Missed my juglar vain by about a sixteenth of an inch. Was flown to big hospital two surgeys and bout two months off. Still missing bone in my jaw and probaly have a bone graft surgey to look forward to yet. Guess lesson learned run your discharge chutes down.

doyles
01-30-2012, 10:54 PM
about 20' up in a tree cutting the top off chain saw got pinched kicked saw out Right into center of my chest cut me right down to the bone
i'am lucky i let off the throttle when i felt the saw bind
also went out to mow a small lawn just finished the lawn and reached down and tried to pick the 21" up by the deck and muffler
got my leg with the hedge trimmers (seems to be a common thing on here)
and of course string trimmer has thrown objects in face and eyes

doyles
01-30-2012, 11:04 PM
Had an older little wonder hedge clipper keep coasting after trigger was realeased and almost took off my finger off. Had what was left surgecly reconnected. Figure works fine, never new it happened. I never disable any safety switches on mowers as they are designed for my protection. Always read my owners manually front to back! Safety first!

i think the hedge trimmer might be the most dangerous tool i own

2stroked
01-31-2012, 04:22 PM
Guess got tell you guys what happened to me. I was walking across the yard and another guy was running my super z and he picked up a piece of rebar. Needless to say it flew across yard and hit me in the jaw. Went thru my jaw bone on one side went under my tongue and poked out bout an inch on the other side just under my jaw bone. Missed my juglar vain by about a sixteenth of an inch. Was flown to big hospital two surgeys and bout two months off. Still missing bone in my jaw and probaly have a bone graft surgey to look forward to yet. Guess lesson learned run your discharge chutes down.
Whoa I can only amagine how bad that must have hurt
Posted via Mobile Device

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
01-31-2012, 08:25 PM
I thought the torn nut sack had it won. Until the rebar through the jaw post. That made me pucker!
Posted via Mobile Device

2stroked
01-31-2012, 08:28 PM
I thought the torn nut sack had it won. Until the rebar through the jaw post. That made me pucker!
Posted via Mobile Device

haha same here!

Premier landscaping south
01-31-2012, 08:34 PM
Once had my walker roll over my ankle:wall. Accidentally hit fwd motion bar and darn near snapped my ankle in two. Jerked out my foot just in time.
Eye injury twice, scratched cornea:cry:. That is no fun! Sucks waking up and you cant even open your eye. Had glasses on both times to. Tree branches just slipped up under them. Doc numbed my eye and put in a contact lens to act as a bandage and a few days later I was good to go. Took about 15 days for 100% clear vision to return:rolleyes:.

Premier landscaping south
01-31-2012, 08:44 PM
Worst puncture/laceration was string trimming a broken beer bottle into my shin while wearing shorts. Had to use needle nose to pull about 4 piece of glass out of my leg. Good story for the girls though.

Was fertilizing an acre yard when it was about 90 degrees and 70% humidity. Drank beer the night before. Got done fertilizing and was terribly out of breath. Put the spreader in the truck and started getting light headed. Leaned against the truck. Things went black. Came to on my back in the middle of the road. Head throbbing. My buddy helped me up then went to go turn the truck and a/c on. I got light headed again. Leaned against the truck again. Everything went black again. Woke up in the middle of the road again. Head throbbing even more. Felt something cool down my neck and felt around and found the neat hole in the back of my head bleeding everywhere. Caused by the band on my hat and the force of my head playing basketball...blood had to go somewhere. Trip to the ER, couple bags of fluid and 14 stitches later I had a good "bar fight" story...

I have problems rolling my ankles. And I seem to not like the pain associated with rolling ankles. Usually pass out if I do it hard enough. Stepped off a ZTR mower onto another buddy's trailer he had a big hole between two board and my foot went down into it with my whole weight coming down off the 18 inch high mower it rolled over. I didn't even make it off the trailer before I woke up on the trailer gate and the two mexicans wondering wtf was up with the white boy. I sat up...blacked out again. Broke open the old scar from a couple years earlier. Bled all over again. But I actually finished that day after I puked from the nausea.

So yeah...if you ever see me roll my ankle...lend a hand...under my head preferably. lol.

ILMAO! I have never heard of anybody having a problem with "rolling their ankles"! Not doubting you or anything. Just imagine you walking along and out of the blue just rolling your ankles over. Also reminded me of playing hockey growing up. We would call the kids that could not skate very well "ankle benders". Due to the fact they did not know how to straighten their ankles when they skated. They just skated around with their ankles bent, LOL!

jiggz
01-31-2012, 11:15 PM
Jesus that rebar story wins the gold.. Thats hurts just reading.. Glad ypur ok
Posted via Mobile Device

integrityman
01-31-2012, 11:32 PM

Play the lottery man!!!!

Seriously- this just HURTS to read it!

doyles
02-01-2012, 07:22 AM
Jesus that rebar story wins the gold.. Thats hurts just reading.. Glad ypur ok
Posted via Mobile Device

i agree what luck after reading that i think i will always mow with my discharge chutes down
glad your okay

rywnygc
02-01-2012, 10:26 AM
ILMAO! I have never heard of anybody having a problem with "rolling their ankles"! Not doubting you or anything. Just imagine you walking along and out of the blue just rolling your ankles over. Also reminded me of playing hockey growing up. We would call the kids that could not skate very well "ankle benders". Due to the fact they did not know how to straighten their ankles when they skated. They just skated around with their ankles bent, LOL!

I roll my ankles a lot! Mostly my right ankle. I call it my b!**h ankle. It was hell in the army. I would sprain my ankle at least once a month. Now it is permanently broken. The VA actually called the other day to schedule a surgery that only has a 50/50 chance of working. I laughed and said "are you kidding me? I can't have a surgery that will put me out for nearly 8 months! I own a landscaping company." I just eat a lot of ibuprofen.

So I totally understand rolling your ankle. It's a huge PITA.

sjessen
02-01-2012, 10:30 AM
I roll my ankles a lot! Mostly my right ankle. I call it my b!**h ankle. It was hell in the army. I would sprain my ankle at least once a month. Now it is permanently broken. The VA actually called the other day to schedule a surgery that only has a 50/50 chance of working. I laughed and said "are you kidding me? I can't have a surgery that will put me out for nearly 8 months! I own a landscaping company." I just eat a lot of ibuprofen.

So I totally understand rolling your ankle. It's a huge PITA.

Rolling the ankle is how I broke mine too. Does wrapping it with an ace bandage/wearing high top boots help?

integrityman
02-01-2012, 09:29 PM
What a thread. The guy with the ripped sack gets the gold medal in my book.

A few years ago was splitting wood. The manual clearly stated to only split the wood from the operating area. I decided to split from the other side of the splitter. Stupidly I placed my thumb between the back side of a piece of hickory and the back stop plate. I commenced to crush my thumb between the hickory and steel. The end of my thumb popped like a large zit. owwwwwwch!. I was a long way from anywhere...so wrapped duct tape all the way around the thumb and glove, got the bleeding stopped and kept splitting til it got dark....Then drove to the hospital.

The ER doc asked what I did. I believe he was Korean and had absolutely no idea what a log splitter was. I finally said I was splitting firewood. Ill never forget his response: "You no split wood, you split thumb ha ha ha ha ha ha," The nurse and I just rolled our eyes.

andyslawncare
02-01-2012, 10:13 PM
I have gotten stitches because hedge clippers, one of my employees was close to needing stiches due to clippers too. 3 years ago, I wasn't wearing safety glasses, and a blade of grass cut into the pupil of my left eye; I had to go to the emergency room, and wore an eye patch for the better part of a month. My vision eventually recovered and the next day I bought eye protection for everyone. We now operate with a 2 strike fire policy, in which you are fired if you are seen without eye protection twice. I also fell of a 6' ladder a few years back, and had 8 stitches in my left forearm; now we require a ladder climber to be secured with the larger person and if you drop someone, you'll probably lose your job, considering the job is to hold the ladder in a safe position. I've also had close calls with chain saws barley missing my legs, chaps are used now. Safety is important, so wear the right gear.

Rockwell Landscape Maint.
02-01-2012, 10:37 PM
I have an open trailer with shovel/rake rack on the front. I was stomping down the clippings when my foot found a hole in the rubbish. My body went down pretty fast right next to the pitchfork that was on the rack. Impelled my side right by my armpit. The wetness on the pitchfork showed that it went in about 5 inches. Hurt like a mofo for a while. Luckily, never got infected.

orangemower
02-01-2012, 11:49 PM
The rebar to the jaw takes the cake. That could have easily killed him.

I guess I'm fortunate to not have any serious injuries while operating my business.
I did walk into a skid plate on the front of a Suburban while on a lift. One of the other techs had it hanging down (pivots at the front of the truck) I came walking through the area and ducked just a bit since I tall and never saw the skid plate. Hit the top of my head and tore the scalp open. 12 stitches later and I was back to work. Another time I was changing the oil on a small car on the shop floor. I couldn't get the drain plug to break loose so I propped my foot on the frame for leverage. When it broke loose, it did so all at once. My right forearm caught the front license plate and tore my arm wide open. I could see the muscles moving when I moved my arm. That took 20 some stitches.

2stroked
02-02-2012, 08:48 PM
I have an open trailer with shovel/rake rack on the front. I was stomping down the clippings when my foot found a hole in the rubbish. My body went down pretty fast right next to the pitchfork that was on the rack. Impelled my side right by my armpit. The wetness on the pitchfork showed that it went in about 5 inches. Hurt like a mofo for a while. Luckily, never got infected.

Wow! That could have been a lot worse! Good thing it didn't get you in the heart or something.

2stroked
02-02-2012, 08:49 PM
The rebar to the jaw takes the cake. That could have easily killed him.

I guess I'm fortunate to not have any serious injuries while operating my business.
I did walk into a skid plate on the front of a Suburban while on a lift. One of the other techs had it hanging down (pivots at the front of the truck) I came walking through the area and ducked just a bit since I tall and never saw the skid plate. Hit the top of my head and tore the scalp open. 12 stitches later and I was back to work. Another time I was changing the oil on a small car on the shop floor. I couldn't get the drain plug to break loose so I propped my foot on the frame for leverage. When it broke loose, it did so all at once. My right forearm caught the front license plate and tore my arm wide open. I could see the muscles moving when I moved my arm. That took 20 some stitches.

Yeah I agree, another inch or so up it could have easily hit him in the temple or something.

TimTim2008
02-03-2012, 01:46 AM
this guy died.

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-anaheim-lawn-mower-accident,0,1439997.story

luis@NJ
02-03-2012, 03:59 AM
Using a blade that slipped i cut into my finger 6 stitches couldn't believe it. That tiller one is freaky :cry: http://i39.tinypic.com/333h63l.jpg

2stroked
02-03-2012, 09:43 PM
this guy died.

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-anaheim-lawn-mower-accident,0,1439997.story

Yeah, I guess the guys with the worst injures aren't around to tell the tale.

tyler_mott85
02-18-2012, 10:00 PM
Dug this thread back up to catch up. Rebar story made me squeamish. A guy I know that works for a company I used to was mowing right-of-way along I-135 here in town. No discharge chute as was pretty normal for this company. He stopped forward progress to scratch his face with the discharge of the mower about 1 foot away from a tree trunk. As he sat there the deck has enough suction to pick up a piece of scrap metal. It flung it out the deck, ricocheted off the trunk and went up and his his face. multiple stitches to fix that. His boss...the "operations director" asked him if it was really necessary that he needed to go to the ER that is didn't look that serious to him. Needless to say I don't work for that company for a reason and there's a reason they get most of their business now from doing City property contract work.

Another buddy was mowing with a walker and was circling a tree looking down at the inside tire and a low branch pinned his head against the grass catcher. It pushed his torso far enough back that he lost his grip on control levers. The mowers tires were spinning the only thing holding it back was his head. He said everything was going black when he was able to grab the forward speed lever with the tip of his fingers and pull back to at least get the mower to stop pulling.

Mikegyver
02-18-2012, 10:17 PM
Worst thing I have pretty much done is hit my LH index finger with a 26 oz estwing framing hammer with bumps on the face of it. Needless to say about 6 months later (today) I have hardly any feeling in the tip of the finger and the rest of that part of the finger has some feeling but not much. I am still waiting for the rest of the nail to grow back. I know its not landscaping related but still....it hurt!
And of course theres always the sliced finger, small wound in arm from store shelf, various scars, and falling from a zipline from 10' and landing head first....
But rebar and the torn....well you know...got to be the worst.
BTW Tyler do you know who does St Francis in Wichita?
Mike

tyler_mott85
02-18-2012, 10:26 PM
Worst thing I have pretty much done is hit my LH index finger with a 26 oz estwing framing hammer with bumps on the face of it. Needless to say about 6 months later (today) I have hardly any feeling in the tip of the finger and the rest of that part of the finger has some feeling but not much. I am still waiting for the rest of the nail to grow back. I know its not landscaping related but still....it hurt!
And of course theres always the sliced finger, small wound in arm from store shelf, various scars, and falling from a zipline from 10' and landing head first....
But rebar and the torn....well you know...got to be the worst.
BTW Tyler do you know who does St Francis in Wichita?
Mike

I believe Complete Landscaping Systems managed them last year.

Mikegyver
02-19-2012, 10:08 AM
I believe Complete Landscaping Systems managed them last year.
My G'ma was in that hospital for several weeks this summer (most of my moms family is from that area and hillsboro) and when we went to see her I observed the grounds there. I don't know if that is how y'all do edging up there but it was done with a blade and you could hardly see the edge. Various other things just looked pitiful. Shoot the stripes were not even that great.
Mike

tyler_mott85
02-19-2012, 11:40 AM
My G'ma was in that hospital for several weeks this summer (most of my moms family is from that area and hillsboro) and when we went to see her I observed the grounds there. I don't know if that is how y'all do edging up there but it was done with a blade and you could hardly see the edge. Various other things just looked pitiful. Shoot the stripes were not even that great.
Mike

95% of all companies up here edge with a blade right up to the edge of the concrete so a couple days after the mowing the grass is grown over already. This is considered the norm and to see a company edge the lawn back away from the concrete is looked down upon around here. Quite frankly to see a lawn edged back away from the concrete looks terrible to me but I've lived here my whole life so that's what I'm used to seeing. Different strokes for different folks, ya know.

Most of the commercial properties here only care about getting the best price, so the companies that get them are either small, inexperienced and aren't able to keep up with what the property needs or they're large Multimillion dollar a year companies that bid low and have inexperienced cheap labor running around using the good ol "every other week edging" technique to save labor. I believe the latter may be the case with that site.

Mikegyver
02-20-2012, 12:14 AM
Here and edge is at least 1/4" of bare dirt between the grass and the curb. Most are 1/2"-3/4". Guess its different up there.
Trust me that is one of those sites I would want to be on for the least amount of time...its not exactly the safe side of town.
Mike

205mx
02-20-2012, 12:42 AM
What's the worst injury you've had in the landscaping business? Just curious.

Mine was caused by adjusting a push mower deck and it snapping back and taking out a chunk of my finger. :realmad:

I hit my head so bad once I forgot how to spell landscaping.

LOL just messing with ya!:waving::waving:*trucewhiteflag*

Junior M
02-20-2012, 01:03 AM
Chainsaw to the leg.. twice. Was the groundman cutting limbs before they went in the chipper and just walked into the saw cause I got outta my rythym.. :hammerhead:

not long after the above, I was hospitalized with heat stroke..

Bout the most memorable from this summer..

mikeypizano
02-20-2012, 10:14 AM
I use to be a landscaper like you but then I took an arrow to the knee... Wait this isn't Skyrim...

For me, nothing major, knock on wood!