PDA

View Full Version : Wearing contacts while mowing, trimming, etc......

cvcook
01-25-2012, 10:46 PM
I always wear tinted eye protection while working. I wear glasses at night for distance, but I'm starting to need them during the day and was thinking about wearing contacts and eye protection while working. so my question is does your contacts bother you while working? dust, grass, etc....

AuburnHort2005
01-25-2012, 10:54 PM
No. I would say if you are in dusty conditions like vacuuming up leaves in the fall or if you scalp down bermuda in the spring and it's really dusty they can be a pain by the end of the day and you want to get them out. I always take them out at night and clean them good and rinse my eyes out with visine. They do make goggles that go over your eyes that have a seal around the lens, kind of like swimming/diving goggles.

weeze
01-25-2012, 11:18 PM
i always wear contacts while working and sunglass safety glasses too. you're gonna get dirt/dust in your eyes regardless if you are wearing contacts or not. the contacts are actually good because they give your eyes an extra layer of protection against debris. i had my eye scratched before even while wearing safety glasses back before i wore contacts.

Ray_Lawns
01-26-2012, 01:46 AM
I always keep a bottle of solution with me just in case I get into a real dusty situation. Give them a quick flush out, throw the safety glasses back on and you are good to go.

justanotherlawnguy
01-26-2012, 03:52 AM
No problems at all. I wear sunglasses all day and sometimes little pieces might still manage to get in my eyes. Just keep some drops in your truck. I think the contacts actually help protect your eyes a little more.
Posted via Mobile Device

DIXIECONTRACTING
01-26-2012, 09:33 AM
I always keep a bottle of solution with me just in case I get into a real dusty situation. Give them a quick flush out, throw the safety glasses back on and you are good to go.

Exactly what I recommend and do never a problem in 25+ years

grassyfras
01-26-2012, 03:43 PM
I wear contacts. They really never bother me unless your mulching a ton of leaves. Not sure if this is true, but a friend told me contacts usually give you extra uv protection for your eyes.

Wright48
01-26-2012, 04:49 PM
The only time i have problems with my contacts is during pollen season and leaf clean up becuase of the dust. The only other problem you may encoutner is when it gets cold out in nov/dec the contacts tend to dry out very easy making your eyes burn other then that no problems

weeze
01-26-2012, 07:00 PM
I wear contacts. They really never bother me unless your mulching a ton of leaves. Not sure if this is true, but a friend told me contacts usually give you extra uv protection for your eyes.

yes it's true. contacts have uv protection made into them. that is why they have a bluish tint to them rather than just being totally clear.

grassman177
01-26-2012, 10:33 PM
no real issues here, but it demands you take extra good care of the contacts AND take them out and clean them often, if not daily. I have had issues with some irritation from that and the dust.. but not since doing better about taking them out and cleaning every day.

cvcook
01-27-2012, 05:18 PM
thanks for the replies, these last few months, my vision seems to have gotten to the point that I need my glasses during the day, so I'm gonna take the plunge and try contacts!

steve4611
01-27-2012, 05:25 PM
My eyes are extremely sensitive and I have found to be more comfortable wearing glasses. Check out the below link. They sell prescription eye protection which I just used the last couple months of 2011 season. Literally 90% off retail.

Glenn Lawn Care
01-27-2012, 05:59 PM
I wear contacts and the only time I have a problem is when I'm doing spring/fall clean ups when its dusty. And Yes I wear sunglasses while I work. I rarely have a problem during the summer months when I'm cutting.

yardguy28
01-27-2012, 08:58 PM
i wear contacts all day, every day.

currently i'm doing the dailies. put in in the morning take them out and throw them away in the evening.

i've never had problems with them bothering me. but when i was wearing monthlies in the fall the dust from doing leaves would stain the contacts by the end of the month.

don't know if that did anything to my eyes or not. the doctor never said it did and it never bothered me.

i always where safety glasses when trimming.

stickleylawncare
01-27-2012, 09:11 PM
Ive got two pairs of the proscription lenses that go darker when you are outside that I use for mowing, included with a big brimmed hat. A few yards back my contacts just refused to work for me and I had to switch to glasses.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
01-28-2012, 11:41 AM
Ive got two pairs of the proscription lenses that go darker when you are outside that I use for mowing, included with a big brimmed hat. A few yards back my contacts just refused to work for me and I had to switch to glasses.

You know you have been in the business for some time when you start substituting yards for years!...LOL