PDA

View Full Version : I'm buying a mower, I'm going to be a millionaire

Jimslawncareservice
01-26-2012, 09:49 AM
Ran into my dealer to grab a cutting bar for my snowblower. A guy was waiting for a salesman. He says he's going to be a millionaire by cutting grass. I paid for the part, walked past him and patted him on the back and said " good luck with the future". I went to the truck laughing and about pissing myself I was laughing so hard.

It'd a good goal, but not realistic. I don't think he had money for a mower as he had a deere credit app filled out. Yes you make decent money at this playing it right, but I don't think it the best time start up in my area, especially with high expectations.
Posted via Mobile Device

sjessen
01-26-2012, 09:52 AM
Well at least he is optimistic. Every once in a while someone like this guy actually hits the big time. The odds are not good though.

deereequipment
01-26-2012, 10:00 AM
its' the same around here.
they see LCO's out there, and think "I'm going to make all the money like THAT guy".
Then they barely get a mower, and when the drought and heat kicks in, and there is no work, they lose even more!

it's not the best time to start up around here either, but they come and they go.
I just have to laugh.

lawnpro724
01-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Making money in this business takes lots of planning, smart marketing and lots of time. Slow steady managed growth is the only way to make it in any business especially in this saturated, cutthroat, lowballer market. There are lots of big dreamers in this business but very few true success stories. Its possible to make a decent living, I know I do but I have been doing this for over 20 years. I have yet to see a $500,000 year let alone the $1,000,000 mark. It all depends on the market you live in but even in a large market its going to take time.

hammmerhead
01-26-2012, 10:30 AM
When you break it down, grossing a million is not that much. All you need to do is cut a $1000 dollar property 1000 times:) Or you could cut 2000 lawns at $500 a pop or 4000 at $250 Easy Peasy

MOturkey
01-26-2012, 10:30 AM
Yow, my dealer was telling me about a similar situation last spring. A guy comes in, and buys all new equipment. Tells my dealer that he has been a truck driver for years, but is going into the lawn business, and is going to take over all the commercial accounts around here.

Well, I'm not sure how he fared, but there is one company here that has been in business many years that pretty well has all the high-end commercial stuff sewed up, and there is a hungry newcomer with about 8 employees that is also trying for every commercial full-service account in this market, so I'm guessing he didn't do too well. There is nothing wrong with optimism, but it has to be tempered with a bit of realism.

sjessen
01-26-2012, 10:34 AM
A lot of guys talk about how much they gross. Only thing that really matters is net profit. A lot of contractors have come and gone in this area contractors who had a lot of work but failed to show a profit for their efforts.

ralph02813
01-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Ran into my dealer to grab a cutting bar for my snowblower. A guy was waiting for a salesman. He says he's going to be a millionaire by cutting grass. I paid for the part, walked past him and patted him on the back and said " good luck with the future". I went to the truck laughing and about pissing myself I was laughing so hard.

It'd a good goal, but not realistic. I don't think he had money for a mower as he had a deere credit app filled out. Yes you make decent money at this playing it right, but I don't think it the best time start up in my area, especially with high expectations.
Posted via Mobile Device

All he has to do is memorize the montra, I have no overhead, I have no overhead, this is all profit!

MarkintheGarden
01-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Well now I know why I am not a millionaire, I forgot to fill out a John Deere credit application.

wildbillslawn
01-26-2012, 12:47 PM
would'nt that be nice.

Landrus2
01-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Yes we can
Isnít that what obama says :laugh::laugh::laugh:

GMLC
01-26-2012, 01:03 PM
Well now I know why I am not a millionaire, I forgot to fill out a John Deere credit application.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

meets1
01-26-2012, 01:04 PM
I have a new guy starting up here. He quit is job Jan 1 2012 and went into snow removal. He had a few accounts that he did after work, before work or saturdays but now he has a new garden tractor with a soft shell cab, blower and i assume that will be his mower. New tilt bed trailer, new 2011 Ford 3/4 tone ext cab long box with a new dump insert. So now he rides around looking cool with all new stuff and I guess we'll see how he is this summer.

sjessen
01-26-2012, 01:06 PM
I have a new guy starting up here. He quit is job Jan 1 2012 and went into snow removal. He had a few accounts that he did after work, before work or saturdays but now he has a new garden tractor with a soft shell cab, blower and i assume that will be his mower. New tilt bed trailer, new 2011 Ford 3/4 tone ext cab long box with a new dump insert. So now he rides around looking cool with all new stuff and I guess we'll see how he is this summer.

Starting to see more and guys driving suburbans/landcruisers, etc. pulling a 5x8 trailer with a mower especially on the weekends.

LindblomRJ
01-26-2012, 07:38 PM
Ah yes the Lowes Landscapers. They pop up every year. The fade out as fast as they pop up.

The 7P's of good operations must be observed. That is often the downfall of the lowes landscapers.

sjessen
01-26-2012, 07:40 PM
[QUOTE=LindblomRJ;428702

The 7P's of good operations must be observed. That is often the downfall of the lowes landscapers.[/QUOTE]

Care to share?

LindblomRJ
01-26-2012, 07:44 PM
Care to share?

Properly Planned Procedures Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

jsslawncare
01-26-2012, 07:55 PM
Properly Planned Procedures Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Seems like a good plan!

deereequipment
01-26-2012, 07:56 PM
Ah yes the Lowes Landscapers. They pop up every year. The fade out as fast as they pop up.

The 7P's of good operations must be observed. That is often the downfall of the lowes landscapers.

I heard about a guy around here, who promoted his business saying how he runs really good and reliable equipment.
I guess that was a selling point, until the "john deere" ;) that he bought from Lowes broke down 4 months into the season, 1 month after the 3 month warranty!!!

But it's a John Deere, so I "must" be a real contractor!!!

green jeans 509
01-26-2012, 08:10 PM
lmao. I was telling myself and all my clients that last. Year thanks to the wisdom of procut1 and the guy who referred me to his thread i've been in a great state of depression and worry here i've been running around charging 60 ph cause thats what everyone does and now I realize even if that is good money I have plenty of overhead. I guess its get smart or you plow yourself under.

LindblomRJ
01-26-2012, 08:10 PM
I heard about a guy around here, who promoted his business saying how he runs really good and reliable equipment.
I guess that was a selling point, until the "john deere" ;) that he bought from Lowes broke down 4 months into the season, 1 month after the 3 month warranty!!!

But it's a John Deere, so I "must" be a real contractor!!!

Bahahaha. :laugh: Well brand name only gets you so far. The right tool for the job. Again 7p's.

Well that and a good solid business plan. How you make money, how you spend that money. You know all the good stuff.

meets1
01-26-2012, 08:22 PM
I dont take things away from these guys trying but still they have no idea. Yes in my encroach on our accounts but at the same time things always turn around in the end.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-26-2012, 10:29 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Hope you had a change of pants in the truck cab.