PDA

View Full Version : Scag mower almost stalling at the end of a row

Lasko's Lawn Service
01-26-2012, 04:27 PM
Well with the winter time being here, figured I would work on my tractor a bit...I was having a problem with my Scag TC with a 26 horse briggs on it almost stalling at the end of the row. I replaced the fuel filter and spark plugs with no improvement....it was weird, cause it would only happen when I was turning around to go back down a row. Any ideas and things I could do to improve/solve the situation?

bvillefarm
01-26-2012, 05:48 PM
We had one in the shop earlier this year with the same complaint. We drained the fuel and found water in the tanks and carb. We actually had to take the tanks off and drain them because the water would sit in the recessed area at the bottom of the tank. I'm not saying this will solve your problem, but I would start here.

piston slapper
01-26-2012, 06:42 PM
Bville. To get tp the fuel that won't drain, use a Mighty Vac.
Insert a stiff wire or a piece of coathanger inside the pickup hose and push the hose against the bottom of the tank.
No need to drain the whole tank as all the water and trash will be at the bottom.
They sell for about $40.
Posted via Mobile Device

bvillefarm
01-26-2012, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the tip.

Lasko's Lawn Service
01-26-2012, 07:53 PM
When you say water in the carb...are you talking the float? I bet there is all kind of junk in those gas tanks after 5 years of hard use...I will clean those out well...vacuum is a great tip...

Valk
01-27-2012, 11:29 AM
Filling your mower tanks at the END of the day will provide far less surface area for condensation inside your tank.

Check out http://pure-gas.org/ and hopefully you can find a gas station in your area with ethanol-free fuel. I didn't see any stations in your town, but hopefully there's one or more w/in driving distance.

This is all I run in my mowers and handhelds. Ethanol is water loving...and will actually attract it. 87 octane for my mowers & 91 octane for my mixed gas.

Interestingly, I've not ever calculated any significant increase in my truck MPGs when running a tank of ethanol-free gas. But I will say that I rarely ever have fuel-related issues with my work equipment since switching several years ago.